Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Why die ink? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/why-die-ink-562020/)

Paula Anne 10-02-2012 03:45 PM

Why die ink?

Hi. I picked up an instruction sheet from Michaels for stamped candles.
you stamp tissue paper and modge podge it to the candle.
It says use DIE ink?
Why?

Are my classic ink pads useable for something like this?
I did by 3 die ink pads at Michaels, but if I can return them, I would be thrilled.
What about staz-on. Would that work?

Here is the link to the Michaels instruction on this to clarify further.
Stamped Tissue Sugared Pillar Candle

Thank you
Paula

KFontin 10-02-2012 04:45 PM

I've always used my Stampin' Up! classic ink pads for stamping on tissue paper and then decorating candles. But I've just used my heat gun to "melt" the tissue paper into the candle, I haven't done the Mod Podge thing. I would think you could use Stazon ink pads if you have colors. I would test the dye inks with the Mod Podge to see if it will make the ink run or anything before you put it on a candle. Well, I guess it will be waxy by the time you put on the Mod Podge so probably will be fine. I might have to try this extra step with the glitter!

BroncoFan60 10-02-2012 08:01 PM

Gina K on stampTV.com has a tutorial on this. But you emboss the tissue paper and then "melt" the tissue paper into the candle.:razz:

Angelnorth 10-03-2012 01:03 AM

If I understand SU! inks corectly, your Classic ink pads are dye inks so I think those pads you just bought can go back to M's! In any case, I can't see any reason at all it has to be dye ink for this technique.

If you want to do the Mod Podge technqiue rather than melting your tissue onto the surface, try stamping on a small piece of tissue with the ink you want to use and Mod Podge it to a scrap surface (cardstock for example) to make sure the ink is OK with the Mod Podge. I think Stazon would be fine but a quick check is worth doing rather than ruining your candle.

cobby 10-03-2012 04:35 AM

SU Classic ink pads ARE dye ink. Dye ink is "water-based" and dries quickly.

Other ink might say "pigment" ink which means it stays wet longer and is suitable for heat embossing. And there are also Hybrid inks which are a little bit of both apparently.

Staz-On is a solvent based ink and you can tell when you use it as it has a strong chemical odor.

Take those ink pads you bought at Michael's back. If you have the colors you want at home in the SU Classic you are good to go.

Paula Anne 10-03-2012 09:29 AM

Woohoooo. I love being able to turn to my fellow SCS'ers for answers.
You guys are awesome.
Many years ago I did the melt the candle technique. It was nice.
However, this look with the glitter is sooooo very elegant.

Thanks everyone!

cat_woman 10-03-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula Anne (Post 19724956)
Hi. I picked up an instruction sheet from Michaels for stamped candles.
you stamp tissue paper and modge podge it to the candle.
It says use DIE ink?
Why?

Are my classic ink pads useable for something like this?
I did by 3 die ink pads at Michaels, but if I can return them, I would be thrilled.
What about staz-on. Would that work?

Here is the link to the Michaels instruction on this to clarify further.
Stamped Tissue Sugared Pillar Candle

Thank you
Paula

I think you may have misunderstood the directions. The mod podge is to adhere the glitter to the candle. The tissue is applied by slightly melting the surface of the candle and the tissue paper sort of embeds into the melted wax. As long as the mod podge doesn't make your ink smear, you could use any ink you have on hand.

Inkin One 10-04-2012 04:38 AM

LOVE stamped candles! Haven't made any b/c well..OK..I will just ask..Can you burn them? Or are they just for dcoration? Seems a very stupid question I know, but I LOVE to burn candles..and wasn't sure if I could after all the tissue paper and ink goes onto it..and I don't want to put that much work into something and not be able to use it LOL. I guess I am a lazy stamper huh? HA!