Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Why am I keeping the jumbo archival black pad? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/why-am-i-keeping-jumbo-archival-black-pad-626351/)

wavejumper 10-02-2018 06:09 PM

Why am I keeping the jumbo archival black pad?

I need help. Having a junior senior moment...

For the life of me...I cant remember why I got the jumbo archival black pad years ago!?! I know it was one of my first pads.... The rainbows were for brayering....but the solid black?

I am trying to re-org my inks and this thing is a pain to store. So I need to know why I am keeping it..? I have a normal size one if I want to use it.

It cant be just for BG stamps can it??? I went on YT and I cant find anything. I checked here and someone once asked if they should get one and Gregzgurl and scrapjenny, both very experienced stampers, basically said no.

What technique am I forgetting? At that time I was learning to brayer BGs to stamp Stazon over with Stampscapes stamps on glossy paper...

shazsilverwolf 10-03-2018 01:44 AM

I don't know of any specific technique that needs a large pad, so I'm guessing that either it was to make inking large stamps easier, or- and forgive me, I'm not judging, it happens to me all the time too- you got convinced by all the hype from the manufacturer at the time! :)

Happened to me with the Staz-on Opaques- worst inkpads I ever bought!- AND again with the Versamark Dazzles. At least I can use them just like a normal Versamark, lol.

:) I've actually avoided it lately, with the '4 in 1' pads Ranger brought out for their designers. For the life of me, I can't see any benefit over having 4 normal sized pads, but maybe that's just me.

stampin stacy 10-03-2018 04:11 AM

I never bought one of the giant ones but I did wonder if i was to make DIY scratch off cards or maybe you saw it at a great price and thought "why not since I love that ink".

Bohodiva 10-03-2018 04:41 AM

Use it to brayer ink on your stamps.

wavejumper 10-03-2018 08:46 AM

Thanks guys. I think Shaz has it right. I got talked into it. It was when I had first started stamping...so I had "big eyes" syndrome and EVERYTHING looked wonderful. LOL :rolleyes:

No no-I totally have been "sold" stuff! Right now I am pulling two letter die sets from sizzix. Too big generally for A2. Never used them. I probably also got a good deal-when I am at my weakest. So no offense here!
I was just thinking they might have told me to use it to do "X" with as part of the pitch....and it would be JUST like me to let of something (stamp related or not) and then remember a month later why I had it in the first place so I am slow to get rid of things....I didn't get the other available jumbo colors (ie red). Another reason I was thinking it isn't just "to have". Oh well. I am probably over thinking it.

It is remarkably still nice-it got put aside and I just came across it which just shows I totally forgot about it. I could brayer it with no spots I think....hmmm I wonder if I could do a galaxy...brayer it and then use the distress oxides on top....I dont know if I have the right colors. I have to go look.

gregzgurl 10-03-2018 04:46 PM

Just to make you feel a little better (maybe) - I tried using the darn thing every which way I could think of and was never successful, so it went into a donate box. I originally bought it to try to ink up an entire page of stamps at once on my MISTI for indexing, but that was a fail, too... I can do that with smaller pads, though!

MSBetsyZ 10-03-2018 04:57 PM

Making Joseph's Coat cards was a huge thing years ago. Brayer color over cardstock, then clear emboss images by stamping with Versamark or white ink and embossing with clear ep. Then use the brayer to lay black ink over the entire surface and wipe off the resist areas. I'll bet that was why you bought it. Now whether you used it? That's another question many of us might not want to answer, lol!

wavejumper 10-03-2018 06:01 PM

Actually Sue it does make me feel better that a much more experienced person says that. Not that I am happy you lost the money on it but YKIM.

oooo....hang on...I have a faint memory of that but I never did it...Maybe that's it! I just watched some YTs...you don't really need a jumbo but now I am intrigued. Thank you Betsy!! Even if it wasn't, I am happy to have a use for the pad! I have some glow in the dark EP I have not tried yet either...hmmm-- that will go into my idea book!

gregzgurl 10-03-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumper (Post 21725504)
Actually Sue it does make me feel better that a much more experienced person says that. Not that I am happy you lost the money on it but YKIM.

oooo....hang on...I have a faint memory of that but I never did it...Maybe that's it! I just watched some YTs...you don't really need a jumbo but now I am intrigued. Thank you Betsy!! Even if it wasn't, I am happy to have a use for the pad! I have some glow in the dark EP I have not tried yet either...hmmm-- that will go into my idea book!

Wait - there's glow in the dark ep? Yeah, I need that!

shazsilverwolf 10-04-2018 01:17 AM

Wavejumper, your reply made me smile! After my couple of mistakes- yeah, I have to make them twice just to be sure the first one wasn't a fluke,lol- I've learned to come over here and see what real crafters think of a thing first. Especially good as you generally tend to get stuff before us.
Sue, this link to WOW embossing powders for Glow in the Dark. I can see my shelves of embossing powders from the doorway, and many a time I've been going upstairs at night, past the open door, and seen this odd glow!

gregzgurl 10-04-2018 05:43 AM

Thanks, Shaz! Anyone know if WOW is better than Judikins or vice versa (saw them both on Amazon)?

shazsilverwolf 10-04-2018 06:07 AM

Not tried the Judikins, but WOW powders are very good.

wavejumper 10-04-2018 02:27 PM

Mine is from Sparkle and Sprinkle. Good to know there are other choices. I wonder if anyone did a comparison on YT. will check.

Good time of year for it with Halloween. I am looking at a lightning layering stencil to try it with once I know it actually works....

I am always interested in any glow in the dark products as my mom invented it.

Shaz I think it is part of the deal that we wont always wait to get here and ask Qs...we just do it and see what happens. It is part of the creative nature. ;)

RenT 10-06-2018 08:02 AM

I can tell you when I bought mine lol. I was doing some Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry classes and he used the black archival ink a lot in the projects he showed. And I seem to recall (could be totally wrong here lol) that at that time, the only way to get the black archival was in a 4-ink-pads-in-1 large pad (four different colors in one giant pad)... so I bought that. Well that was SUPER inconvenient to use. Eventually I found the black archival in its own pad and it was giant! I was so happy and that's how I got my jumbo one.

Used it for a good while but yes it is hard to store. I'm considering letting mine go too.

maryalena 10-06-2018 08:47 AM

I had a jumbo embossing pad for awhile. Not sure why I bought it. It was so hard to store. I got rid of it for that reason. I can’t figure out why my local Joann only sells the Archival Black in jumbo. They must know something I don’t know about the advantage of jumbo black pads.

shazsilverwolf 10-07-2018 01:06 AM

Renee, that has just reminded me of something. In the 4 way pads, the Black Archival is NOT the standard one, it's Black Soot Archival. Tim told us this in a workshop last year. The Black Soot Archival is actually a truer black, as side by side you can see the purplish tones of the original. It's not available as a separate pad, but he told us you can buy one of their blank pads, and the reinker which is available, and make your own.

RenT 10-07-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf (Post 21726861)
Renee, that has just reminded me of something. In the 4 way pads, the Black Archival is NOT the standard one, it's Black Soot Archival. Tim told us this in a workshop last year. The Black Soot Archival is actually a truer black, as side by side you can see the purplish tones of the original. It's not available as a separate pad, but he told us you can buy one of their blank pads, and the reinker which is available, and make your own.

Oh yes, you're right! My 4-pack pad is in my sell pile and yes it's Black Soot in there. So I must've bought the huge black pad to get the other black color... thanks for solving my little mystery as well :)