Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   White StazOn or SU Craft White (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/white-stazon-su-craft-white-442794/)

buttons2 06-14-2009 08:11 AM

White StazOn or SU Craft White

Which of these do you have the best luck using on darker CS? TIA.

Wanda

jeannie barron 06-14-2009 08:16 AM

I like SU craft white, I think it is bolder.

lindylou1220 06-14-2009 09:21 AM

For dark cs, you want the craft. StazOn white works great on transparancies.

LateBlossom 06-14-2009 11:25 AM

These are not interchangeable. StazOn is for slick surfaces only...the container says not for use on cardstock or other porous surfaces, and they mean it...it's not good except on slick surfaces, where it's totally cool. The SU craft works great on colored cardstock. HTH!

buttons2 06-14-2009 11:48 AM

Shows you how much I read labels!!! Craft White it'll be. Thanks stampers.

Wanda

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossom (Post 14365903)
These are not interchangeable. StazOn is for slick surfaces only...the container says not for use on cardstock or other porous surfaces, and they mean it...it's not good except on slick surfaces, where it's totally cool. The SU craft works great on colored cardstock. HTH!

gailmc 06-17-2009 10:41 AM

staz-on white

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossom (Post 14365903)

Wow! Good to know . . . amazing what you learn when you read . . . must be getting lazy. Thanks for the info!

smileyj 06-17-2009 10:46 AM

I use black stazon for all my cards. I get a clearer image and can use watercolor pencils without the ink running. I do use white craft on dark cards. It takes longer to dry.

StampnKim 06-17-2009 10:48 AM

It's always great to learn some of the basics. I have another question regaring the SU! White Craft ink. Do I have to heat set it even if I'm not planning on embossing? For instance, if I just want to stamp an image on dark colored cardstock, do I still have to use the Heat Tool to set it? If so, how long do I need to do it for. The Craft ink rules are still very blurry to me.

ButterbeanA 06-17-2009 11:49 AM

When I use the craft white, I have to let it set for a while or carefully dried. I have trouble with detail using the white craft. I may be pressing too hard when I stamp. I try not to. I am glad to know about the stazon white.

wilma bass 06-17-2009 12:48 PM

When I used White Staz-on on a Christmas project the white never came off the stamp. I was very disappointed about that, but it worked absolutely great on the transparency sheets. I used my heavy duty stamp cleaners that will clean off black staz-on but it hardly touched it. I also used Staz-on cleaner...didn't work so good on the white. Anyone else have that experience?

RHS 06-17-2009 01:07 PM

Is there another alternative to SU craft white - I don't have any SU stuff.

CreativeCritter 06-17-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHS (Post 14393039)
Is there another alternative to SU craft white - I don't have any SU stuff.

I use Colorbox Frost White, but I've heard that Papertrey's Fresh Snow ink is also very good.

jnsyr 06-17-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilma bass (Post 14392871)
When I used White Staz-on on a Christmas project the white never came off the stamp. I was very disappointed about that, but it worked absolutely great on the transparency sheets. I used my heavy duty stamp cleaners that will clean off black staz-on but it hardly touched it. I also used Staz-on cleaner...didn't work so good on the white. Anyone else have that experience?

SU! has formulated the Whisper White Craft pads differently from the other craft pads in order to get the really bright white people wanted. Yes, it is harder to get it off, but hang in there! I use Stampin' Mist and my Stampin' Scrub and rub hard--if it stays, you need more Stampin' Mist--don't be shy with it!

Good luck!
--Janis

row4d 06-17-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilma bass (Post 14392871)

Something is different about the white StazOn -- must be the additive (usually titanium dioxide) used to make the ink opaque. In other media, that opaque additive really sticks. Add to that the fact that the ink is intended to be permanent, and you've got a combo that's VERY hard to clean.

wahinelei 06-17-2009 07:00 PM

I have the PTI white ink -Fresh Snow and really like it. I've also used the Colorbox Frost White and IMO the PTI Fresh Snow is brighter, whiter. But both are pigment inks not craft inks and I find that I have be careful not rub them until they are dry!

beaddict 06-17-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

But both are pigment inks not craft inks and I find that I have be careful not rub them until they are dry!
FYI :-) SU's craft inks are pigment inks they just call them craft ink.

I almost always use my heat tool to set craft inks just because I can move to the next step a little quicker.

row4d 06-18-2009 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddict (Post 14396930)
FYI :-) SU's craft inks are pigment inks they just call them craft ink.

I almost always use my heat tool to set craft inks just because I can move to the next step a little quicker.

For some reason heat-setting also makes the SU! Whisper White a bit brighter when it dries! :)

jpmayo 06-18-2009 06:14 AM

I would choose Papertrey Ink's Fresh Snow over the SU! White, if you can.

When the 2 are compared side by side there is no doubt the PTI ink is whiter and brighter.

ButterbeanA 06-19-2009 09:58 AM

I sure appreciate this information, because I always hesitated to use white just because I didn't like to results. Sometimes when I can't get the white to come off, I have put it under some water witha a little gentle dish soap and then toweled it off. Hope I didn't do a bad thing.