Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   white cardstock (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/white-cardstock-639915/)

dlsplu 10-31-2021 06:05 PM

white cardstock

It's been awhile, but I didn't know Georgia Pacific went out of business. I know there were many others who used it, so I'm wondering what you use now. Is Neenah an inexpensive alternative and if so, they have several, so which one? I'd like to save my craft $ for colored cardstock and new products.

Thanks ladies!
Deb

Casa1 10-31-2021 09:10 PM

I use Accent and Hammermill 80 lb and 100 lb cardstock, which I've only been able to find on Amazon. I also have some 120 lb cardstock from one of those brands, which is super thick so I don't use it much. I consider Neenah cardstock (Classic Crest) on the expensive end, but it does work really well for many techniques.

justampin 11-01-2021 03:41 AM

I use the accent opaque and have both the 80lb and the heavier. Like them both just fine and the price point is very affordable.

August29 11-01-2021 05:25 PM

I used the Georgia Pacific brand for many years before it was no longer available at Walmart. I now use the Pen and Gear brand that Walmart sells. It’s 110 lb. card stock. 150 sheets for 6.00. The packaging even resembles the Georgia Pacific brand ( yellow and blue cellophane).

Lazorkay 11-02-2021 08:06 AM

You can get the Hammermil at Target online as well.

dini 11-02-2021 08:11 AM

I like the Hammermill Premium Color Copy cover stock - I have it in the 80# but it comes in 100# as well.

grandmakitty 11-02-2021 08:36 AM

Hobby Lobby has heavy weight which is 80# and wonderful, and extra heavy weight which is 100#.
I buy lots when its' 50% off. great cardstock!

wavejumper 11-02-2021 10:54 AM

Um what are you doing with it? Some are better than others for marker coloring for example vs wanting something to just be a decent card base...

I have Neenah but it is expensive so I save it for techniques.

I have Michaels 110# and the Accent opaque 110# McGuire had suggested. Both as card bases. I just got the Accent so I cant compare yet. They are not as nice as say Gina K's 120 lb for sure. But I cant afford that in bulk.

Paper Junky 11-02-2021 12:21 PM

For card bases, you're better off using card/cover stock that is about 297 gsm. The gsm rating will give you a better idea as to how heavy of a cardstock you're working with because it is a standard of measurement, whereas 80 lb,, 100 lb., or 120 lb can actually vary from one 80 lb. to another 80 lb.

Also, I have noticed that Michael's doesn't seem to carry a decent white cardstock anymore. It seems to be more of an ivory.

hockeymum13 11-02-2021 02:37 PM

I saw two comments recently for Neenah 110# Solar White, so ordered it. Fabulous! And I love the color which is really white, no cream or gray tinges. Looks very close to my SU Basic White.

dancingpurplecat 11-02-2021 04:52 PM

Accent Opaque in 80#, 100# and 120# It is whiter/brighter than Neenah Classic Crest, and much cheaper. For ink blending, Bristol Smooth is my choice.

romomz 11-02-2021 09:00 PM

Oh, don't get me started on "white" cardstock. I've searched high and low for actual "white" cardstock. Went through different well known companies for their white. When I say "white" I mean copy paper white, which has been really hard to find. It's interesting to see how many white variations are in the crafting world. Same for the black paper. Although I do have a vast selection of white, which I will use up, I have been placing orders with a company called Envelopes.com. They sent me a swatch of all their papers and colors. A vast variety of colors, textures and weights. A little pricey, but worth it to me to see what I am getting before I order. I also get my envelopes there as I buy in bulk. Another brand I am using, which is very close to white, is Neenah Exact Index 110 lb. (199 g/m). Not too sure where I got it, maybe Walmart.

Hope this helps.

mzjohansen 11-03-2021 10:27 AM

I am a big fan of Cougar Domtar papers.
I buy 100# Cover in both Smooth White and Natural (off white) from Cut Cardstock (they offer the paper in 3 weights). I appreciate that they offer it as 50 sheets rather than having to invest in a whole ream. The paper is very smooth, magnificent quality that accepts all mediums I have tried very well. It reminds me of Stampin’Ups extra thick.

They are having a bit of a sale right now
Cougar 100# cover white

romomz 11-03-2021 10:44 AM

Thanks for this info. I never heard of them, but if I ever need white, I'll consider them.

hockeymum13 11-03-2021 12:07 PM

Thanks for the message...I spent an hour at cutcardstock.com. Excited to find it. Sharon

Here and There 11-03-2021 10:07 PM

Hammermill Paper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dini (Post 22125835)
I like the Hammermill Premium Color Copy cover stock - I have it in the 80# but it comes in 100# as well.

I have the Hammermill 100#. When I used a trimmer scoring blade, it cracked when folded. (Brand new scoring blade.) I could blame it on the trimmer brand, I guess. Or user incompetence.:smile: A scoring board worked fine though. So far, I've only used it with regular stamping and a light water colour wash - no complaints.

graceforever12 11-04-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlsplu (Post 22125365)
It's been awhile, but I didn't know Georgia Pacific went out of business. I know there were many others who used it, so I'm wondering what you use now. Is Neenah an inexpensive alternative and if so, they have several, so which one? I'd like to save my craft $ for colored cardstock and new products.

Thanks ladies!
Deb

I use SU! Basic White cardstock. Very white and very smooth. They have regular and thick.

Mischelle1 11-04-2021 02:49 PM

For years I wanted cardstock that had that smooth and was slightly glossy, just like many nice Hallmark cards. Well, I have purchased many a cardstock over the past 15 years. I have stacks. I see a business supply store, brakes on, u-turn and into the store I go. I ask to please let me see and feel and sometimes smell the paper.
It wasn't until a young guys says "lady I think your looking for COVER STOCK!".
It comes in many colors and even a bright white, to boot. I use this just for the card itself. I can and sometimes make the panel and stamp on it. This paper looks beautiful when colored with alcohol markers. It does smudge a bit. But be careful, it's worth it.

romomz 11-04-2021 07:41 PM

Yes. I have cover stock as well. It works pretty good.

stamper1996 11-08-2021 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August29 (Post 22125695)
I used the Georgia Pacific brand for many years before it was no longer available at Walmart. I now use the Pen and Gear brand that Walmart sells. It’s 110 lb. card stock. 150 sheets for 6.00. The packaging even resembles the Georgia Pacific brand ( yellow and blue cellophane).

I had no idea GP went out of business either. The Walmart house brand is pretty decent and you can't beat the price. It's similar to the GP they were selling before.

fionna51 11-09-2021 01:20 PM

Just an FYI, since I have a friend who works for Georgia Pacific. They did not go out of business. But because office papers of all types are being used so much less than in the past, they have discontinued that line of their products. They are still in all the other lines...tissues, paper towels, and TP; lumber, plywood, and other building materials; pulp and other wood products. They sold their four paper mills to a Canadian paper manufacturer.