Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Color Groups

I am about to place my first order for SU color groups and some stampin' spots. Since I can't afford to get them all :( I was wondering which are the most versatile in your opinion....I think I'll get 2 stampin' spots and 2 co-ordinating paper groups. Decisions decisions!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

First, congrats on the baby! My #1 turned out to be my only one, lol. Those pregnancy days are so precious.....

<AHEM!> LOL, anyway.... color is such a personal choice. I guess it will depend on your own style, kwim? Still, I usually tell people to think about the season coming up and the projects you might make. Fall colors that are in Earth Elements are a good choice...Halloween's practically around the corner! Then the Christmas colors...I tend to use Rich Regals, but again that depends on your preference.

Sometimes an easy way to go is to pick a pack of designer papers you love and get a color family to coordinate. This year's catalog is great in that it lists all the base colors right there with the dp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

many people agree that spots and a pack of matching assorted cardstock is a good way to start, and then buy full size pads once you discover which colors you use the most.

I personally did not like the spots and sold the ones I had..and I only buy full packs of one color if I find I use it a LOT..or when the ICs retire.

I suggest getting color groups that you will use NOW. I made the mistake of buying soft subtles in august when I first found SU!. .. when I should have gotten the Rich Regals or the Earth Elemnents to better coordinate with fall themes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I find I use the stuff (inks, papers, stamps) more often when they appeal to me the most. We are coming into fall/winter colors now so you might consider Earth Elements (fall) and Rich Regals (winter).

My personal favorite is the Earth Elements colors. Bold Brights/Soft Subtles are a toss-up but very versatile as well. Rich Regals has some nice colors, but as a collection it doesn't do as much for me as the other color families. This is where it comes down to personal preference and which colors attract you!

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Thanks all! Good thinking on the fall/winter colors. I think I will go with Rich Regals and Earth Elements...

Betsy - Thanks for the congrats! Me and DH tried for a while, so we're very excited!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Default decisions decisions

I read this and decided to do Rich Regals and Earth Elements also in spots on my order. Thanks for all the great advice. Happy STamping !!!

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You made a great choice also. I love the Rich Regals the best. I am a new demo and have been slowly getting all the stampin spots. I really like them because you have such control over exactly where the ink goes.

Congrats on the baby too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, don't forget about the gorgeous In Colors as well. I learned the hard way last season that you have to buy the refills early (don't wait until retirement time because they run out!). I got all the In Colors and refills and LOVE them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Me too. I'd like to know how you like the spots. I don't know what to order first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Like others said, color is a personal choice. Although I own all the colors, I like the earth elements best but rarely use the bold brights. But I know someone who feels just the opposite way I do. I definitely recommend buying the multicolor pack of cardstock (3 sheets of each color). That's how I started and then I could see which colors I really liked and wanted more of and which I wouldn't use much. Or in the case of glorious green and yoyo yellow at all. I still have the original 3 sheets of each of these 4 years later! Anyway... I am a spot lover. I personally don't care for the large pads and only have the craft vanilla in that size. I originally chose them so I could afford to get all the colors, plus they are a huge space saver.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalie ParkerView Post
Me too. I'd like to know how you like the spots. I don't know what to order first.
i have all of the spots, all the color families, in the classic ink. i bought them when i started off as a hobby demo a couple years ago, so i'd have the colors (seeing that i had only five full size ink pads at the time). i love them. LOVE them. i can use them for watercoloring (i flip the ink pad over, stamp it on some waxed paper, and pick up the ink with my paintbrush or blender pen), and i can use them as a stamp pad (it might take a bit more work to cover a really large stamp, but it works). sure, they're only an inch square, but they're perfectly fine for stamping.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Reply With Quote Likes