Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   What's the point ....? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/whats-point-375668/)

Ruby-dooby-doo 08-21-2008 01:36 PM

What's the point ....?

of double sided paper. Unless you are folding it in your design is it not better to get two sheets of single sided co-ordinating paper?

klhbenson 08-21-2008 02:03 PM

yep! or it's like buying two 6x12" papers...instead of a 12x12. Generally not worth the extra money, but we buy them anyways!

karcher70 08-21-2008 02:05 PM

I would think its cheaper to print both sides of the paper. That way they get 20 designs on 10 sheets of paper, instead of 20 designs on 20 sheets of paper. Keeps the cost of producing it down..

I personally like the double sided paper because it gives me more options. One day I like the one side, the next day I like the other side better! I also like that they typically coordinate nicely with each other. That's good for doing layers.

StampingShawn 08-21-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby-dooby-doo (Post 11017396)
of double sided paper. Unless you are folding it in your design is it not better to get two sheets of single sided co-ordinating paper?

Theoretically I'm with you on this one! But in actuality I end up buying the stuff.
One thing that is better with double-sided than single-sided is that it is thicker so if you are making a bag or some 3-D item it holds up better. Just my opinion.

taiboo 08-21-2008 02:39 PM

i make gift bags with my double sided 12x12 paper, looks awesome like that.

diane617 08-21-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

I use it for foldems cards and I like that I have an easy match of patterns

stamphappy1650 08-21-2008 06:27 PM

I do like the dbl sided only when making projects where the back side is showing. But in general its a waste. When I buy multiple pieces of the same dbl sided paper, I turn one piece of the paper to the opposite side because I forget to look at the back of the paper.

jbcmom 08-21-2008 06:31 PM

I love the double sided paper too. But always feel like I'm wasting half of it.

ashmanra 08-21-2008 07:45 PM

I usually like one side better than the other anyway! But I do love the look of having one corner folded so the other pattern shows, or using it on a project where the back will show, like perhaps making an envelope or gift card holder. There are some origami type folds you make that end up with two patterns showing (the diaper fold gift holder for one) and the double sided paper is great for that.

purpleflowers 08-21-2008 08:01 PM

There are a number projects that require double sided paper:

Dahlia Fold

Double Pocket Card

Diaper Fold Pouch

This one doesn't require double sided paper but I think it would be great to use:
Tri-Fold Pocket Card

Here's another one that doesn't require double sided but it makes things a lot easier (use less paper) if you can simply flip one half of the designer paper in step 6:

CrissCross Card

StampaLady 08-21-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

That's what I'm thinking too!! I mostly do cards and always thought that I'm wasting the other side of the DSDSP (double sided DSP) if I'm using them. I bought couple of the dbl sided and only used them for boxes or bags. But for cards, I usually use the one sided DSP.:mrgreen:

SKICIO 08-21-2008 08:24 PM

It's good for making your own envies :)

Nana Pam 08-22-2008 05:33 AM

For the most part, I agree with you. I try to save mine to use as others have mentioned or to use with acrylic albums. I also use it in some glass memory charms like we made in Tim Holtz's CKU class. Since layers are limited with those the two sided paper lets the back of the charm look pretty.

ckstampinkansas 08-22-2008 05:44 AM

I use it mostly for the projects that requie two sided paper, but other times it's nice to have a choice - sometimes one works better than the other.

Korillian 08-22-2008 05:55 AM

I used to think of double-sided paper as wasteful but now I see that it does in fact give me twice as many choices as single-sided paper in half the storage space. Paper hoarder that I am, that's a big plus in my book!

WAXYO 08-22-2008 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowers (Post 11023715)

Dahlia Fold

Double Pocket Card

Diaper Fold Pouch

This one doesn't require double sided paper but I think it would be great to use:
Tri-Fold Pocket Card

Here's another one that doesn't require double sided but it makes things a lot easier (use less paper) if you can simply flip one half of the designer paper in step 6:

CrissCross Card

Thanks for the links...awesome ideas!

JulieHRR 08-22-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Hmmm. Well, it's purdeeee! http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/biggrin.gif

Altho, I will admit, I'm often tortured over which side to feature and hate that the opposite side will then be hidden, and possibly receive no loving admiration . . . :rolleyes:

I'm so weird that way . . . *sigh* . . .

Mahloumel 08-22-2008 09:40 AM

Another fun folded project is the One Sheet Pocket Book, like a tag accordian album thingy. I made one with my Fruitcake BG paper and love it.

http://angelstamper2.blogspot.com/20...cket-book.html

Christie B 08-22-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 (Post 11021849)
I do like the dbl sided only when making projects where the back side is showing. But in general its a waste. When I buy multiple pieces of the same dbl sided paper, I turn one piece of the paper to the opposite side because I forget to look at the back of the paper.

I do this as well. That way, I can see all the designs as I thumb through the stack.

Ruby-dooby-doo 08-23-2008 04:55 AM

Thanks for all the card ideas - some really great links there.
But for the main, I think I'll pass - lets face it I have problems enough as I can barely bring myself to use my pretty single-sided papers, never mind the dilemma of using 2sided stuff!!

Happy Heart 08-23-2008 04:59 AM

I've found that generally the double sided paper is thicker. I also like having more options, and you know it will always coordinate.

Badger53186 08-23-2008 05:12 AM

lots of great ideas! tfs!

mollymoo951 08-23-2008 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowers (Post 11023715)

Dahlia Fold

Double Pocket Card

Diaper Fold Pouch

Tri-Fold Pocket Card

CrissCross Card

Thanks for the links - these are great ideas!

Makaren 08-23-2008 05:28 AM

I've done the cut and fold cards like diane617 for years and double sided paper used to be hard to find, especially in pretty designs. I have a nice supply of one sided papers but I keep a separate stash of double sided papers just for the projects they would look best in. If you don't do these kind of projects, the double sided paper would make less sense.

Makaren

MarshHen 08-23-2008 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmanra (Post 11023584)
I usually like one side better than the other anyway! But I do love the look of having one corner folded so the other pattern shows, or using it on a project where the back will show, like perhaps making an envelope or gift card holder. There are some origami type folds you make that end up with two patterns showing (the diaper fold gift holder for one) and the double sided paper is great for that.

I agree. I also like to fold up one corner of the card front. In scrapbooking LO's, I will cut a longer piece to mat a photo on and fold up the other end to form a journaling pocket, letting the pattern on the back show.

Gina K. Designs 08-23-2008 07:45 AM

It's great for things like flip books and star books. Check out Jessica Fick's blog. She makes the most unbelievable star books and they use the double sided stuff. :)

iEmbellish

jkstieber 08-23-2008 07:51 AM

I've asked myself this same question. And the problem for me is that I very often like to use it as a background paper in scrapbooking. However, one way I've been able to get around this is that I do 8 1/2x11 layouts, and since the paper is 12x12 I just end up putting some of it on top of the other sheet for an accent on the page.

amymcgs 08-23-2008 07:59 AM

I'm frugal and will scrap layouts on both sides of a sheet of double-sided 12x12" paper. These sheets go straight into clear sheet protectors, then right into albums. Half the amount of paper used, half the bulky pages making my albums thicker.... works for me!

shirolives 08-24-2008 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amymcgs (Post 11038809)
I'm frugal and will scrap layouts on both sides of a sheet of double-sided 12x12" paper. These sheets go straight into clear sheet protectors, then right into albums. Half the amount of paper used, half the bulky pages making my albums thicker.... works for me!

Ditto here. Especially like the less bulk part.

Pipergirl 08-24-2008 06:09 AM

Great ideas for ways to use your dsp on the fun folds cards!

ladylinks 08-24-2008 06:10 AM

You can use double-sided on clear acrylic albums too!

Bubink 08-24-2008 06:38 AM

I used to be confused when looking at it in stores until I started to make nugget boxes!! I usually use acetate for the slide on cover so when I use a two sided paper, the inside of the box looks coordinated with the outside of the box! And since a lot of two sided paper is thicker, makes a stronger box. I figured out that the 6x6 inch size of paper fits the 2x3 size box for nuggets (holds 6 nuggets) which is just perfect for a little gift for coworkers. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find Nuggets in my area so glad they posted the 2-4-6-8 acetate box pattern so I can make those!!

Robin R 08-24-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

I do the same thing! I have many doubled sided papers that have layouts on both sides! The heavier doubled sided paper is great to work with when scraping both sides. I hate to think I wasted anything, so I consider this as one way to get the most for my money ;)

berlycece 08-27-2008 08:44 AM

Quote:

Wow! What a simple, but great idea!

Jaclyn Elisha 08-27-2008 08:59 AM

I really wish SU gave you the option to purchase DP in single sheets. I hate having to decide which side of the paper I like better. I also wish that they would sell the 6x6 assorted DP and not just have it as a hostess benefit.

creatingisfun 08-27-2008 09:03 AM

oh wow those links are awesome. now i need double sided paper lol

NoraCH 08-27-2008 09:23 AM

I make a lot of Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) for swaps and have begun using the double sided papers for two reasons- first, it's generally heavier and makes a studier base than most regular cardstock and second, the back of my card is a little nicer because of the already decorated background.

moster 08-27-2008 09:29 AM

Double Sided is great because it provides a coordinating pattern or even solid color if it's an odd color. I've been making a lot of very simple monogrammed notecards (using JustRite stamp) for gifts and it's so nice to present a perfectly matched gift ensemble to someone. The double sided paper takes the guess work out of it and guarantees a match.

Here is a perfect example: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...1664?cat=14901. I bought the American Crafts paper with this exact gift in mind. I would have never bought the floral paper if there wasnt a coordinating solid or patter to go with it. I have every color of SU paper and NONE of the blues would have come close to coordinating. (Luckily my PTI chocolate was a perfect match to the AC DP brown). I used one sheet of the AC paper, which was $1, to make 8 notecards and have approx 3x12 left.

Cook22 08-27-2008 10:04 AM

I really like double sided and I only wish I had more of it. I find any time I am making a card that calls for it because of the folds, I am very restricted in my choices because I have so little :-(. I like the way even if one side is quite plain, it is a colour I can be sure will work with the patterned side so it's useful for layering and whatever. So the cost doesn't bother me, I'm happy to have it and use it.