Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heartfelt die question?

i am still learning about my big shot and what the dies can handle.can the cardinal dies from heartfelt cut flashing?tia
br3n
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know, but I'm inclined to say probably not. They are made by Spellbinders, so I would go to their website to investigate or ask the question. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I've never cut flashing with a wafer thin die. Fabric yes, but I've never tried flashing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Default No

Heartfelt Creations comes to some of the Milwaukee shows. About a year ago I saw what looked like a metal flower on one of their display cards and I asked if their dies could cut soda cans. I needed to know since I was doing a workshop this past Sept for adult Girl Scouts at Camp Alice Chester and wanted to teach the ladies how to make a soda can pin/hair clip/necklace, etc. The booth told me NO, it could damage the dies. There is a metal sheet just for card making that can be used, but not metal flashing or soda cans.

In my search, I only found 2 companies that state you can cut soda cans or metal flashing with their dies and sizzix is one.

Sorry, I don't remember the second company.

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Any of the "wafer thin" dies don't actually "cut" the shapes, they more or less force the fibers apart, so they can't do this with "un-fiber-y" things like metal. Dies that actually CUT (think very sharp cookie cutter) are the only ones that might be able to cut metal. One way to tell is by checking out the die itself - is the cutting edge sort of like thin wire or a ridge? Then it falls into the "doesn't cut" category. If it has that foamy stuff (yes, that's a technical term ) on it, it's probably protecting the cutting edge, which is likely to be sharp, and might be able to handle soda cans, flashing, etc. When in doubt, refer to the manufacturer's website or email them to ask...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for all the replies.

br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want the look and feel of metal flashing, you can buy metal tape at the hardware store. It's about 2" wide and comes in a roll like duct tape. It's very thin aluminum and has an adhesive on the back side. I put the tape on card stock and then use my wafer dies just like usual.

I haven't seen any change in the way the dies cuts and I've used it with some very intricate Memory Box dies with great success. When you think about it, it's very similar to using tin foil in punches to clean and sharpen the edges.

By the way, the metal tape is a really shiny silver and makes great stars and jingle bells. I've also used it in Martha Stewart punches with no problems. 8-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for that idea and that could work with the clear acetate to be shiny enough for garden stake ornaments with the cardinals
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by br3nView Post
thanks for that idea and that could work with the clear acetate to be shiny enough for garden stake ornaments with the cardinals
br3n
It should work great for that. Please post a picture if you do this, it would be fun to see!

I just had another idea about using the metal tape on card stock as I read your post. It would be easy to use in an embossing folder and the texture on metal would be gorgeous....and it probably could be rubbed with an ink pad for an antique look. Must try this soon. 8-)
Reply With Quote Likes