Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   What "holes" do you have in your arsenal? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/what-holes-do-you-have-your-arsenal-595237/)

gregzgurl 12-27-2014 07:40 AM

What "holes" do you have in your arsenal?

I have a ridiculous amount of "crafty" stuff, but I recently discovered that I'm lacking a bit (who knew?). I'm totally covered in the paper/stamps/inks/embossing folders/punches/dies departments. The "holes" are in the coloring media.

I have some Bic MarkIt markers and a handful of Prismacolor markers, but need some true pastels to round things out a bit. Haven't decided which brand I want to get yet (but I do know that it won't be Spectrum Noir).

I also recently discovered that I prefer the Gamsol Magic technique in general, so I need to add to the VERY limited number of colored pencils I own. I've been doing some research and reading good things about the Blick brand, so I'm going to get some of those.

I really, really like to watercolor, but left all of my brushes with my daughter in New York (she has a degree in fine art, so I know that she'll actually use them), so I need to replace them.

That's my list. What's on yours?

robbinbobbin 12-27-2014 08:39 AM

I am relatively new to papercrafts, so I consider most of my 'holes' to be in technique, especially using layouts & inks creatively. A goal, for next year, is to make time to participate in the challenges.

Regarding supplies, pastels are my major one. I already have Rembrandts, but don't know if PanPastels are a better choice for papercrafting. Particularly in regards to chalk dust & fixatives. Any thoughts?

As for watercoloring, I've stayed with acrylics, because I think with the right additives, paint/inks and paper you can get nearly the same effects for crafting. If I was doing larger works, I would use watercolors. The versatility of acrylic & variety of technique is very nice, watercolor, gouache, impasto, sgrafitto, stamping, etc. and mixing color into all sorts of mediums & gels. I really like the Golden High Flows & Fluids for papercrafting.

Oh, I forgot! A home laser cutter.

Happy Holidays,

Robin

dini 12-27-2014 09:11 AM

I'm lacking TIME TO USE ALL THE THINGS.................. :)

gregzgurl 12-27-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dini (Post 20849511)
I'm lacking TIME TO USE ALL THE THINGS.................. :)

AMEN!!!

southgirl 12-27-2014 11:30 AM

I thought that I have it all but am looking for an upgrade on a cutter. My Fiskars just does not cut a straight line. I dug out my old Carl cutter (ancient thing) and it is so heavy (about as heavy as the bypass utter I am considering) and it does not have a good measuring grid on it. Still on the fence about them.

Allistamps123 12-27-2014 02:55 PM

I Need a few more copics. I just got some for Christmas-nine! That's all I have.

I only have two sets of Nestabilities and one set of framelits from SU. That's what I have always really needed.

Otherwise I'm in good shape.

TeeGeeDee 12-27-2014 03:11 PM

First an organized space (a goal DH and I will tackle shortly, once the holiday festivities are finished).

After that, I will need time to use my stuff (in my space or elsewhere) and that looks more likely to be possible!

As for actual tools/supplies probably Big Shot accessories since I only got the basics (plus a stamp/die combo) during a Thanksgiving Day sale. I did get an extended platform for $12 (after a customer loyalty coupon) at a LSS. I want backup cutting plates, crease mat and magnetic platform.

Fun topic!

Oh, for Robin re: Pan Pastels ... I just burnish the color into the card stock with the sponge and then buff it 2-3 times with a piece of Viva paper towel (no pattern, no lint, very soft). I only have the metallic colors so that is another gap but I can't decide which colors to get first. Any suggestions? I'd like some bright ones for flowers but probably have to build collection slowly. The sets are pricy but last a looooong time.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

Mzteaze 12-27-2014 03:57 PM

I have plenty of "holes" as a new crafter!. Lol

I've been spending a little money on a week to week basis to get things I need or want.

Arlene_C 12-27-2014 04:51 PM

I am needing re-inkers - specifically, black for Memento, Stazon & SU. M, HL and JoAnn's do not carry the re-inkers for Memento and Stazon in their stores. :( So, I will have to order them.
I just bought a sizzix tag die today - it is just the size that I have been wanting! So, now I can cut tags from some of my stacks of DSP and whatever color of cardstock I wish!
I really don't "need" anything else - except time for creating! :)

UnderstandBlue 12-27-2014 07:24 PM

Time for SURE.

I really like the look of stitching on cards but I can't sew so I might make that a goal.

staceylovespaper 12-28-2014 07:58 AM

I need more thank you and gratitude type stamps.

muscrat 12-28-2014 11:00 AM

I need more whimsical and cutesy type stamps and images to color. I have floral, nature, and Christmas stamps, but I seem stuck in a rut as to what I purchase. I also need more sentiments for the insides to cards.

klh54 12-28-2014 05:44 PM

I WAS lacking good sentiments that said more than "thank you" or"thinking of you" so when mat stamps had their 10% off I bought only sentiment sets, then they had 30% and I bought even more. What I'm lacking is images I can color, not people but critters, flowers, landscapes...

jukie 12-29-2014 05:19 AM

Well it sure isn't stamps, or DSP (15 iris boxes just for the 12x12), ribbon...but I can not find a Happy Birthday sentiment stamp that I like. I can find the size I want, but not the style I want, or the style I want but not the size...so frustrating! would even be willing to buy a set if I could just get the right size and style of sentiment! Suggestions would be gratefully received!

TeeGeeDee 12-29-2014 05:42 AM

There is a variety of sizes and styles at Verses:

Catalog: Birthday - Verses Rubber Stamps

I am sure there are other suggestions but I was recently browsing that website so it was on my mind.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

jukie 12-29-2014 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDee (Post 20851205)
There is a variety of sizes and styles at Verses:

Catalog: Birthday - Verses Rubber Stamps

I am sure there are other suggestions but I was recently browsing that website so it was on my mind.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

Thank you...off to check it out!

meeyore151 12-29-2014 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_C (Post 20849880)
I am needing re-inkers - specifically, black for Memento, Stazon & SU. M, HL and JoAnn's do not carry the re-inkers for Memento and Stazon in their stores. :( So, I will have to order them.
I just bought a sizzix tag die today - it is just the size that I have been wanting! So, now I can cut tags from some of my stacks of DSP and whatever color of cardstock I wish!
I really don't "need" anything else - except time for creating! :)

Not sure of the size of JoAnn's near you, but in some of the larger stores they have packs of reinkers from Tsukineko (spelling??) that have StazOn Jet Black, Memento Tuxedo Black and Versamark. It would be hanging with all the stamping stuff like daubers and things so it can be hard to pick out. Before I saw those I wouldn't have thought to look for a little plastic three pack of reinkers! Total accident that I saw it in the first place. No other reinkers, just that pack, so if you need other colors it isn't very helpful... :(

miamiscrapper 12-29-2014 05:28 PM

Sentiment stamps!

lesliespringer 12-29-2014 07:39 PM

I have no holes or wants or needs. I am at a spot were I am happy with what I have.

zineth 12-29-2014 07:59 PM

My mom and I are both new stampers. I dusted off 25 year old stamp supplies only to find out that inks and markers dry out and rubber stamps are very different these days. I've had six months and a pretty hefty budget to play with, I am still in the accumulation phase and find it very addicting.

Sentiments seem to be an issue. I see a link above to "verses" stamps which I cannot wait to visit, it seems a sheet of stamps with a mix of images and sentiments aren't enough.

In addition to sentiments I need more dies, I've prioritized them, right now I am on the hunt for a great deal on a window die, like the grand madison from memory box/poppy. Next I want some stitched rectangles. I did just close on a good deal for gears on Amazon.

My mom needs a bigger space, she has a part of a room she shares with her husband, its their shared "computer" room. She also struggles with sentiments.

I would have said more small containers, but today we celebrated Christmas with DH's sister and voila, I received two nice big containers with smaller individual compartment jars, so magically I am set there.

Then there is always time... I am on medical leave for another 6 weeks, but need to recover quickly so I can spend more dedicated time with all my new supplies I have gathered and organized the last couple of months!

Now I'm off to shop sentiments!

jasimons 12-30-2014 05:41 AM

I'd also like more of the time that others have mentioned. That's probably the biggest thing!

I'd like to try some of the mixed media projects I've been seeing - so I'd like to add some products like the modeling and texture pastes and so on.

lylacfey 12-30-2014 11:26 PM

Supply hole I just ordered this week. Don't laugh but my filler was UnDu. :) I filled all my holes in November when the good deals were to be had. I replaced my polymer clay oven, I needed chipboard and a cheap paper trimmer.

Art holes I need to practice my drawing again. My hands are shaky when I draw. I know I am out of practice. That won't due since drawing is my first love. Plus, drawing saves me a fortune on stamps, lol.

Oddesigns 12-31-2014 06:27 AM

Can't really think of any. I have more than I need.

I recently started in on copics and acquired a good, rounded collection. Sure, I could use more, but I've got all the basics covered.

I am good at identifying and filling the holes in my arsenal, almost too good. Cataloging everything helps. I figured this out early on, when I discovered that I had a bunch of butterfly stamps but no sympathy or get well sentiments. So I cataloged everything, to prevent me from continuing to purchase a category I already have covered, only to neglect another category.

If anything, I need a few more metallic embossing powders. My gold stinks. I'm going to fill that hole next, but not before I make a sample of every powder I have to make sure I'm not duplicating a powder.