Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Where do you get fabric for crafting online?

I want to start working with cotton and possibly burlap. I don't have a fabric store within hours of me since Ben Franklin closed down last year. So, I need an online source.

I know Tim Holtz has fabric sheets with adhesive on them. I don't want to spend the money on that, too costly and thus too precious with which to be experimental. And I can glue down my own fabric.

So - a cottony fabric that would be a good weight, not too thin, and would leave me a nice frayed edge without getting out of hand, and a burlap that would not be too thick. Any suggestions and sources for me?

Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I don't know if this will fit your purposes, but there's a fabric shop near Chicago that anyone who sews here in the Milwaukee area is pretty gaga over, kinda like it's a mecca of some sort. I haven't been there ... yet ... but I've checked them out online and am curious, and someday would like to get there. anyway ... they have an online store and even a swatch club, where you can get 2" x 3" swatches of their latest and greatest fabrics. I imagine it's a range of fabrics, and the pieces may be too small for what you want to do with them, but if it interests you, here's that link:
https://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Fa...ome-delivery./
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 532 Likes on 237 Posts

You can buy fabric online from Joann's...
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I want to start working with cotton and possibly burlap. I don't have a fabric store within hours of me since Ben Franklin closed down last year. So, I need an online source.

I know Tim Holtz has fabric sheets with adhesive on them. I don't want to spend the money on that, too costly and thus too precious with which to be experimental. And I can glue down my own fabric.

So - a cottony fabric that would be a good weight, not too thin, and would leave me a nice frayed edge without getting out of hand, and a burlap that would not be too thick. Any suggestions and sources for me?

Thanks.
Rachel, I sew quite a bit and am lucky to have a nice Joann Supercenter nearby, also several Hobby Lobby stores to shop for fabric.

I looked at the Chicago store suggested, and it looks like a fabulous place for serious sewers, with lots of fabric to choose from. The problem is that the smallest piece they sell is 1 yard, and the shipping would be quite a bit, too.

I might suggest you look at Joann's for what they call "fat quarters", cotton fabric used by quilters. It's a piece of fabric 18" by 21". They have different print quarters for about $2.49 each, or you can get a bundle of 5 assorted prints for $9.99.

Here's a link:

Search Results at Joann.com | Jo-Ann

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

The Joann's link was good, Bugga, but I want white or off white only, no patterns.

I am wondering if I should just buy a cotton sheet. Or would that not be a good weight?

Etsy has some white cotton, but not being able to handle it... Bah. Sometimes living in "Paradise" is frustrating. Almost every customer service rep I speak to, after they see where I live, says how much they would love to live here. "You would love it until you needed to buy something," I say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

The Joann's link was good, Bugga, but I want white or off white only, no patterns.

I am wondering if I should just buy a cotton sheet. Or would that not be a good weight?

Etsy has some white cotton, but not being able to handle it... Bah. Sometimes living in "Paradise" is frustrating. Almost every customer service rep I speak to, after they see where I live, says how much they would love to live here. "You would love it until you needed to buy something," I say.
I forgot about Etsy. I have good luck buying lots of things there. If you find something that might be suitable, you can ask the store owner specific questions and they are really good to answer. I've not done anything with fabric except cut and sew it. I haven't seen what Tim Holtz does with it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

well shoot, bugga's earlier comment got me thinking about quilting fabric options and I found this place, but while I see they offer solids, I don't see anything that's all white/cream/off white. It does look fun though ... lol!
https://www.fatquartershop.com

and now I'm curious. What's your plan with this fabric you're looking for? sounds interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

Quote:

Thanks.
Hi Rachelrose,
I can see why the Vogue Fabrics store is a mecca for sewers! What a great site, and swatches are only $1. Even with shipping, it might be a wise way to go to avoid a costly mistake.
What is it you are interested in crafting? If you want a sturdy fabric, look at the cotton twill on the Vogue site. It is well proced at $3.99/yard. The bamboo twill is more expensive. They also have canvas, but the weight will be much heavier. You can also look at the jute burlap. Depending on its end use, you might want to shop for a tight weave so it doesn't fray too much. Joann Fabric has good prices and coupons, but I'm not sure if they offer swatches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Robin,

I usually get my fabric from FatQuarterShop or fabric.com.

Here's a link for 'white cotton' from fabric.com:

https://www.fabric.com/find?searchText=white+cotton

Some times they give you the option of ordering just a sample.

fifi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canvas fabric is nice to work with. You can buy it by the yard in an art supply store, or somewhere like Joann's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 04:53 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Robin, will you give us a hint about the project(s) you're thinking about? I'm intrigued.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 05:18 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Sure -

Here's the video that inspired me - it's long, but if you got to minute six or so you'll see the fabric she is working on. You'll see it looks a bit heavier than sheeting. See how nicely it frays?

Crazy that there's nowhere to go feel fabrics down here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

well how cool is that?! I can see why you're wanting to find some white cotton fabric. (I wonder if it isn't sheeting. She talked about the higher the thread count the smoother the fabric and the better the detail will show ... )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Maybe it is sheeting. I just keep thinking the frayed ends look too thick.

I should either just order some. Or ask my sister the quilte to bring some stuff down for me to look at when she comes in a couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2017, 04:58 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know you asked about online sources but have you checked out the fabric dept at your local Walmart? Also I've not checked it out but I remember some quilting friends saying something about McCalls, Vogue or someone? having an online store. Sorry but it was more of a listening to rather than a participating in conversation so I don't remember for sure who, just that it was a company that also makes patterns.

another thought... do you have any old sheets or pillow cases that you were going to trash anyway...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2017, 05:19 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

There is no local Walmart, just a Kmart and it doesn't have fabric. It has some sewing notions.

I think I might just go and buy a white sheet somewhere. Kmart, maybe, if they have 100% cotton.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2017, 05:01 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

An area that doesn't have a Walmart :shock:, I didn't think they existed. Seriously the fabric department tend to be small so it was a long shot anyway.

I hope you find something that works. I managed to buy some non Ranger adhesive backed canvas on clearance once a few years ago and it was fun to use. I also thought about buying my own canvas and then adding adhesive to it once I used up what I had. I used a couple of sheets but the other couple of sheets in the package have sat unused so don't buy a lot of what ever you choose. You can always buy more once you know what/if you like it and be sure to wash anything new to remove sizing and other chemicals so the ink etc will absorb.

OH another thought! What about an old article of clothing? Blue jeans or a shirt that no longer fits or has stains (distressing, lol). ...this idea comes from having had a grandmother that quilted using cut up clothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

Gee too bad Hancock of Paducah closed. They had a massive inventory.
I have used this site a lot when collecting for a quilt:

Quilt fabric, Largest selection of quilting fabrics- Free Quilt Patterns- eQuilter.com!

Family run, 2% goes to charity of your choice (from a list); I think it is half yard mins. used to be quarters.

They have a design board you can plan on and some other nice tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 03:38 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Once I figure out what I want, all these online resources will be invaluable. I didn't realize when I started this thread how clueless I am. ;)!

My sister the quilter is coming down next week. I am sure she will be able to help me. We'll probably go online together and order some stuff.

And one kind person is sending me some white cotton sheeting to play with. Thank you - you who know who you are!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 07-12-2017 at 03:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

Sounds like a good plan!

I should say, I was only collecting the fabric. A friend actually did the sewing. It was a one off kind of thing. I just wanted a garden themed quilt with flowers. Took 10 years to collect-real looking, small scale flowers in a wide variety-NOT easy to find! Been a learning experience!
Reply With Quote Likes