Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Watercolor Pencils - Which are best? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/watercolor-pencils-best-306694/)

sistastamper 12-10-2007 07:42 AM

Watercolor Pencils - Which are best?

Hi!
I'm having a difficult time deciding which watercolor pencils I want to purchase. I have the SU! watercolor pencils and am beginning to dislike them. The color selection is just to limiting and I am beginning to not like the colors.

So, my question is: Which do you prefer - Derwent or Prismacolor?

Additionally, do you prefer using baby oil or Gamsol to blend?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jovi 12-10-2007 07:57 AM

I have Derwent Watercolor and I'm really happy with them. I've haven't tried Prismacolor Watercolor so I can't compare the two.

But I have used Baby Oil and Gamsol to blend Prismacolor Pencils (not the watercolored) and I prefer Gamsol. Baby oil works well, I found for larger areas the color doesnt seem to spread as easily... so I switched back to Gamsol.

;)

tlw411 12-10-2007 08:49 AM

I have the Prismacolor and find them very easy to use and like the color selection. I have NOT tried the Derwent so I can not do a comparison for you either.

niccole-k 12-10-2007 11:04 AM

I too have the Prismacolor and love them. They are the only ones I have tried ... and as far as baby oil, and gamsol ... gamsol ... but you do not use that with your watercolor pencils only regular colored pencils ~

sistastamper 12-10-2007 12:06 PM

Thank you all so much! Mostly for clarifying that the baby oil or gamsol is used with colored pencils and NOT watercolor pencils. Didn't know that!!

I always know I can get some great advice here!

Advogirl 12-10-2007 12:44 PM

I love my Derwent water color...didn't buy the prismacolor due to having done art for sometime and had heard the Derwent were a bit better....plus I got a good sale price =) As far as the color pencils I have the large prismacolor set....LOVE em...and I use either Gamsol or Baby oil...prefer babyoil a bit due to it smells good...BUT I also use neutral or clear shoe polish....it works wonderfully and is not as wet and so easy to control.

Jovi 12-10-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advogirl (Post 7973812)
and I use either Gamsol or Baby oil...prefer babyoil a bit due to it smells good...BUT I also use neutral or clear shoe polish....it works wonderfully and is not as wet and so easy to control.

Oh yes, I like the way baby oil smells.

Really Shoe Polish?! I've never heard of using that before. I would love to see a card that you made that was blended using shoe polish. I learn something new here everyday! ;)

Sorry to the op for the slight hi-jack.

~ j

gaylestamps 12-10-2007 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just curious why you say not to use OMS with watercolor pencils... I get great results blending the SU watercolor pencils this way. I even made this chart to help my customers start custom blending their colors.

cambystamper 12-11-2007 03:38 AM

I also have always used Gamsol with myPrismacolor watercolor pencils. I did a class several years ago and thats what they recommended. I also use them with Future floor wax in an aqua painter if I want a glossy look. Debbie

OnTheBrink 12-11-2007 04:52 AM

You should also consider Faber-Castell Albrect Durer water color pencils. They are highly rated. I have some coming from Dick Blick and I can't wait to try them out. These are the choice of many professional artists.

montistamper 12-11-2007 05:45 AM

I have some of both and really don't think there is that big a difference in the watercolor pencils. Now for just plain colored pencils, I think Prismacolor is the best.

sistastamper 12-11-2007 11:25 AM

Thanks again everyone! I'm very interested in everyone's opinions and tips on the baby oil & gamsol. Hmm - shoe polish, now that's a new one but I could definitely see how/why it would work.

It sounds like I won't go wrong with whichever brand I select!!