Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting phrases/words into felt - help!!

Hi there, I am a complete newbie!
I'm hoping someone can help me...

I hope the following makes some sense.....apologies!

I want to be able to cut words and phrases into felt, but for this particular project, I want to use the "leftover hole" in the felt, rather than the cut out letter itself.
I would also like this to be in a small font.

I don't yet own a die cutting machine but after reading a loo..ooo.ooot, it sounds like The Cuttlebug is good for felt cutting and the "Typewriter" alphabet would be perfect, as it will leave behind the middle of the 'o' 'a' etc so I will be left with perfect lettering.

My question is - can I use the Typewriter Alphabet Die in a way that allows me to cut any word I need (name/phrase etc) in a line, using random lettering - not in the order on the actual die?

I have tried alphabet craft punches (like mini hole punches) but they just won't cut the fabric...

Any help or advice would be gratefully received! Many thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doris4646........Using the Cuttlebug and either the dies designed for it or the Sizzix brand dies for alphabets, each will only cut the individual letter one at a time. None of them will cut a word with each letter connected.

Exception......there are a few dies that do have words that are connected, but for them you would have to purchase that particular die. There are only a few.

If cutting with felt, I would also suggest either purchasing the felt that is real stiff and on sticky back paper or running the felt through a Xyron machine first before cutting the letters. It will make it much easier to cut the felt and also for adhering to what ever surface they will finally be on.

These are only my ideas (it's what I do) and opinions, but other people may have their own.

Patti
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by doris4646View Post
Hi there, I am a complete newbie!
I'm hoping someone can help me...

My question is - can I use the Typewriter Alphabet Die in a way that allows me to cut any word I need (name/phrase etc) in a line, using random lettering - not in the order on the actual die?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received! Many thanks!
Unless the Typewriter Alphabet Die has each letter on its own die (and I don't think it does), I don't think that's possible. I suppose you could try masking off the letters you don't want by layering chipboard over those so that the felt was exposed only to the letter you wanted to cut, but with a sandwich that thick, I'd be worried about things sliding around and not staying in place. Also, I'd worry about breaking something on the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes