Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Question Wall Paint

Included in some boxes of garage sale craft supplies I bought are a number of trial size jars of wall paint. I have no desire to stencil walls but wonder if I could use the paint on paper in the same way as acrylic paint, specifically for gelli plate printing and art journals. Anyone done this? Does it react any different from acrylic craft paint?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

I am in no way an authority on this, but I'll throw out a few things that came to mind based on many years using wall paint:

This paint has a different formula, and the binders are different, from acrylic paint, and has different properties. One of these is that it dries differently. It tends to stay wetter longer and could cause issues with curling and warping. Even though this is true, it dries fast enough - and with more "permanence" (for lack of a better word) that tools (gelli plate, brushes, brayers) would need to be cleaned IMMEDIATELY and THOROUGHLY or they could be permanently "painted". I've had to toss brushes because I let paint get up in the ferrule and didn't get to the washing up in time to save them.

Acrylic paint is cheap enough that I would stay with those, to be safe. I'm guessing that the sample jars were for small wood projects or something. If you wanted to do a test-run on something that's certainly an option, but I personally wouldn't do it...

Old 06-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Makes sense to me. One less thing to store too. I will resist that crafter's habit of looking at an object and thinking, 'Hmm, I could find a use for that. . . . "

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Picasso used latex house paint for art and some artists do! Latex and acrylic paint both use acrylic binders, but there are differences. I’ve used a little latex paint on CS to see what it would do, and fooled mixing latex and acrylic a bit just because why not, and it worked.

I happened to have tons of quarts and pints since I used to paint large samples for consultations.

Paint colors ingredients separate so shaking/stirring is needed. Dealing with the cans was a hassle and messy, and I would have wanted the paint in small bottles, which was also a hassle, so didn’t move forward. Like acrylic, latex cleans up with water, and occasionally I used a drop of Dawn.

If I used it for stenciling the cheap, throw-away foam brushes might work well. Since I try to avoid single-use products, that was another reason not to use the paint.

I’d rather use Paper Artsy paint! Like buttah.