Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Wal Mart GP Paper (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/wal-mart-gp-paper-340299/)

Judyw 04-13-2008 12:56 PM

Wal Mart GP Paper

I want to look for the GP (Georgia Pacific?) paper that people on the forum rave about. Where is it located at in Wal Mart? I mean is it in office supplies or in crafts? What does the package look like? What does it cost? How much paper is in a pack?

I am clueless as to what to look for so I would appreciate any help you can offer.

phunkymama 04-13-2008 01:06 PM

I think their papers are generally with the other office supplies. That said, I never found it in any WalMarts in my area, it may be a regional item.

deeth1 04-13-2008 01:17 PM

In my Walmart store it's located just past the pens and office supply section. It's at the end of the isle with the copy paper. Just before you get to the area where they sell cameras.

The package says Georgia Pacific cardstock. 110lb. weight. 150 sheets.

I think I paid a little over $5.00 for it but that was several months ago so not sure what it costs now.

Scrapping&Stamping 04-13-2008 01:24 PM

In my store its also on the office supply aisle with the copy paper. The price is about $6 for the big package.

blizlady 04-13-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1 (Post 9501141)
In my Walmart store it's located just past the pens and office supply section. It's at the end of the isle with the copy paper. Just before you get to the area where they sell cameras.

The package says Georgia Pacific cardstock. 110lb. weight. 150 sheets.

I think I paid a little over $5.00 for it but that was several months ago so not sure what it costs now.

Same here. Because the cardstock is a heavier weight, there are 150 sheets in the packages which looks like a normal ream of paper. The top part of the package is black with the words "Card Stock" across the top with GP Georgia Pacific on top of that in smaller print, and because the packaging is clear, the bottom 3/4 of the package shows the white card stock . The bottom right corner has "110 150" printed to show that it is 110 weight and 150 sheets. I also can't recall exactly what I pay, but I think around $5.00 per package. It is in the office supply area in Walmart, and not in the crafts dept.

cookscrapstamp 04-13-2008 01:41 PM

I get mine from Sam's Club and it is the same paper.. It has 500 sheets and is less than $10. So 3x the amount of paper at 2x the cost.. It is a better deal in my opinion. :) (One way to save a little money and earn back my membership fees from Sam's! Also did you know that you can get a business membership by using SU as your own "business".)

dorism6220 04-13-2008 02:00 PM

I have looked for the paper at Walmart (45 min - 1 hr away) and have yet to find it. There are 2 stores close to each other and either has ever had it.

Kiko 04-13-2008 02:15 PM

I've looked several times and have never seen it at my local store either. I'll check Sam's next time I'm there.

mamatygress 04-13-2008 02:37 PM

Office supplies here as well. In with the copy and printer paper. It's the only white cardstock I ever use.

anniesmom 04-13-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorism6220 (Post 9501462)
I have looked for the paper at Walmart (45 min - 1 hr away) and have yet to find it. There are 2 stores close to each other and either has ever had it.

When I lived in South Carolina I could always find this cardstock at WM. SInce moving back to Ohio I have not been able to find it at WM. WIll have to check Sam's. Fortunately I have a left over pack that I forgot I had.:-D

LaLatty 04-13-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookscrapstamp (Post 9501324)
I get mine from Sam's Club and it is the same paper.. It has 500 sheets and is less than $10. So 3x the amount of paper at 2x the cost.. It is a better deal in my opinion. :) (One way to save a little money and earn back my membership fees from Sam's! Also did you know that you can get a business membership by using SU as your own "business".)

Thanks for the tip...I didn't know they had this paper at Sam's and I'm there all the time. I usually find this paper in Walmart by the office supplies with the copy paper. :)

jtax 04-13-2008 06:18 PM

I also have gotten this at Sams..

purplewinkle 04-13-2008 06:30 PM

How does this paper compare to SU?

Does it only come white?

Thanks!

jamiehurley 04-13-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkle (Post 9504271)

Does it only come white?

Thanks!

I hope NOT to cause flames here, but I used to see no reason to buy SU! white until I stamped them side by side and GP DOES NOT compare! In terms of ink impression that is. However, I buy the GP from Walmart ONLY to mount my card fronts on. I don't see any reason to hide the Whisper White behind the card front. Now I use WW ONLY to stamp on and GP to mount cards on.
Hope this helps.

Try it it will be a huge difference.

tx stamper 04-13-2008 06:37 PM

I found this cardstock next to the file folders and pens section, NOT the computer/cd/photo section. It appeared to only come in white.
After using it, I felt it wasn't as smooth as the SU white for stamping, but I LOVE the thickness of it. It works great for layering and card bases.

I've tried my PTI white and really love using that for the hybrid pads. I've heard about a new CS called Neenah sonic white and everyone seems to be raving about that kind now.... I have yet to try it.

So, while this GP 110 lb. is a cost effective option for white CS, I'm not sure if it's really the best.
Just my opinions.

guatelicia 04-13-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkle (Post 9504271)

Does it only come white?

Thanks!

Personally I think it is not as good quality as SU. I bought it years ago and was trying to use it for a project in my card swap group. Whatever we were doing wasn't working. My friend asked about the paper, and I went to get some SU and then it worked. It always keep some around to use as a card base or for my kids to stamp, etc., but my main image always goes on SU.

lbirus 04-13-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiehurley (Post 9504333)
I hope NOT to cause flames here, but I used to see no reason to buy SU! white until I stamped them side by side and GP DOES NOT compare! In terms of ink impression that is. However, I buy the GP from Walmart ONLY to mount my card fronts on. I don't see any reason to hide the Whisper White behind the card front. Now I use WW ONLY to stamp on and GP to mount cards on.
Hope this helps.

Try it it will be a huge difference.

I tried it (got it at Wallys) to save some money on my in laws wedding invites and it is soooooo not SU!!! I hate it!

In fact, I can tell immediately by picking it up that it's not the real deal. It has a thinner feel, it doesn't have the smooth creamy coating, and images just don't stamp as well nor do they color as well. Sorry to disappoint you if you are looking for an alternative.

I'd say, you get what you pay for. Skip the GP!!! ( ...unless you are using it for card backs, but even then, the weight is "light" and you don't get that quality feel.)

daisyboo 04-13-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirus (Post 9504657)
I tried it (got it at Wallys) to save some money on my in laws wedding invites and it is soooooo not SU!!! I hate it!

In fact, I can tell immediately by picking it up that it's not the real deal. It has a thinner feel, it doesn't have the smooth creamy coating, and images just don't stamp as well nor do they color as well. Sorry to disappoint you if you are looking for an alternative.

I'd say, you get what you pay for. Skip the GP!!! ( ...unless you are using it for card backs, but even then, the weight is "light" and you don't get that quality feel.)

I have had the same experience. I only used GP until my DH bought some white SU as a gift for me. And it was WAYYYYYY better. But, now I am wondering if Wal-Mart may sell different weights of cardstock and I bought a lighter weight. I do know that you can hold a sheet of the GP and one of SU, and the SU is definately heavier.

Cynamom 04-13-2008 07:40 PM

I have NOT been able to get it at my WM's here in the Chicago area at all lately. I CAN get it at my Sam's in the bigger pack. I have been buying it at my WM's for YEARS! I am now sure why they'd stop carrying it, but I can't get the invitation envelopes (box of 40 I think) I used to buy for my cards there, either, anymore. Not cool!

photocropper 04-13-2008 07:51 PM

I use the GP for many things....one when I stamp images for my kids to color, two to (practice) stamp off images while I am deciding what colors to use or what have you, three to put down on my workspace behind my cards cuz often I am not stampin at home and dont want to carry my large pad of "table paper" around, and lastly to back a card front because I like the weight better than WW. All that said I have recently gone to using shimmery white everything that I want to be on white! I have a brand new pack of WW that I just opened yesterday (had since the last catty) but I did not even use it to stamp on!!

thecardpixie 04-13-2008 09:12 PM

Well from the original topic, I wanted to say that some Walmarts carry it and others don't. I went to buy some just the other day after work...the store that is closest to my work (but farther from home) didn't have it at all. So I went to the one closer to home, and it was right there in the office section.

As far as the quality, I like it - and I have used Whisper White at my demo's stamp camps. I'm just more of a thrifty stamper I guess.

optotecha 04-14-2008 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyboo (Post 9505094)
I have had the same experience. I only used GP until my DH bought some white SU as a gift for me. And it was WAYYYYYY better. But, now I am wondering if Wal-Mart may sell different weights of cardstock and I bought a lighter weight. I do know that you can hold a sheet of the GP and one of SU, and the SU is definately heavier.

Oh they definitely must make different weights then because the GP that I have used for years is MUCH heavier then SU. When you fold the SU WW, is is so flimsy it doesn't hold up to much - the GP that I use isn't as heavy as the colored card stock from SU - but WAY heavier then the SU WW.

photocropper 04-14-2008 05:19 AM

If I am not mistaken...I could be....but SU CS is 80lb and the GP is 110 (the one that I have always seen and used) so YES GP is heavier but the texture is a tad different than SU

RiverIsis 04-14-2008 05:25 AM

Maybe she picked up the GP paper instead of cardstock like I did the first time:oops: LOL The packaging is very similar.

irishgreensue 04-14-2008 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookscrapstamp (Post 9501324)

WOW!! cool, how much for a business membership???

cookscrapstamp 04-14-2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishgreensue (Post 9507103)
WOW!! cool, how much for a business membership???

It is $35 instead of $45 for a regular membership and then you can shop during gold key hours! It is nice because then you can shop in the store earlier than normal.

I looked up on the Georgia Pacific website to figure out where else you can find the cardstock and it says:

150 count: Fred Meyer, H.E. Butt, Kroger Company, Wal-Mart

250 count: Sam's Club

Hope that helps someone..

ScrampShopper 04-14-2008 06:36 AM

There are at least 2 different packages of GP paper at my Walmart. As an earlier poster mentioned, the heavier paper is only 150 sheets to a full ream. The reams for both are the same size. I find the GP to be heavier than SU WW.

Carmel Mom Sue 04-14-2008 08:57 AM

I was really surprised when I found it at my local Kroger! I think it was $6.50, but I bought it and saved a trip to WalMart.

I only used it for the inside of my cards. I do not like it as well as SU's.

LindaF409 04-14-2008 09:17 AM

We have Bi-Mart stores and they also carry the same cardstock.

sprtchick 04-14-2008 11:34 AM

I usually buy this cardstock at least 4 reams at a time then go across the street to Office Depot and have it cut. Wow what a time saver to have them cut it. They charge me .50 per cut. Since each ream is cut one time (in half) it costs me two bucks for all 4 reams to be cut. Cant not do it that way anymore. Blessings.

ebeart 04-14-2008 11:44 AM

My name is Elyssa and I have GP CS problem...

...I never hoard supplies, except when it comes to this CS. I think I know it's too good to be true that my favorite CS is so cheap, so I keep thinking they're going to discontinue it.

Ok, I'm officially nuts.....

...for GP CS!

dstfrommi 04-14-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 9511203)
I usually buy this cardstock at least 4 reams at a time then go across the street to Office Depot and have it cut. Wow what a time saver to have them cut it. They charge me .50 per cut. Since each ream is cut one time (in half) it costs me two bucks for all 4 reams to be cut. Cant not do it that way anymore. Blessings.

Wow, what a great idea!! :)

Judyw 04-14-2008 01:09 PM

My local Wal mart did not carry the CS. I drove to the enxt town over and they had it. I think the key is to remember the 110/150 on the package. Without the numbers, I would have been confused as to what I really wanted.

stigmom6 04-14-2008 01:13 PM

Someone mentioned NENAH so I thought I would chime in. I use Nennah Classic Crest Solar White. I buy it at Papers Plus for 250 sheets for $20. Not as cheap as GP but less than SU! so for me it is a very happy medium. I think the quality to very close to SU! I use it for copics, Prismacolor pencils, well everything. They even sell an Ivory now to have not bought any yet so no sure of the name. So look for a Paper, invitation type wharehouse in your area the should have the NEENAH line. HTH!

sprtchick 04-14-2008 01:43 PM

With the amount of white cardstock I go thru for the soldier cards it only makes sense for me to have it cut. Then I only have to score and fold it...yep I asked if they had a machine to fold it for me and they do.....the catch is it will not do cardstock....lol only regular weight paper.
:( oh well at least they will do the cutting for me that saves, blades, time and my poor wrists. Blessings.

cookscrapstamp 04-14-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 9511203)

Do they get the cuts straight?? I have had things cut before but they don't always have a perfect edge. I am so **** when it comes to even cards.

cookscrapstamp 04-14-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebeart (Post 9511354)
My name is Elyssa and I have GP CS problem...

...I never hoard supplies, except when it comes to this CS. I think I know it's too good to be true that my favorite CS is so cheap, so I keep thinking they're going to discontinue it.

Ok, I'm officially nuts.....

...for GP CS!

LOL I am just the opposite. Since it is so affordable I use it for everything.. Don't freak out but I even let my kids make cards with it! :)

brightrachel1008 04-14-2008 06:07 PM

thank for this tip! i picked some up today!

BeeHks 04-14-2008 06:32 PM

Sam's Club carries the 250ct of GP paper. (CS) The price was a bit more than WM, but a better deal because you get 100 sheets more.

daisyboo 04-14-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optotecha (Post 9506530)
Oh they definitely must make different weights then because the GP that I have used for years is MUCH heavier then SU. When you fold the SU WW, is is so flimsy it doesn't hold up to much - the GP that I use isn't as heavy as the colored card stock from SU - but WAY heavier then the SU WW.

I guess I'll be checking out Wal-Mart again! I know the SU feels much heavier and holds up to layering better. Weird, huh? I also have some TAC and PTI and they both seem a little heavier even.

Another consideration might be the *whiteness*. I can't remember which one is brighter, but I know that sometimes I'll pick up a scrap of white and it won't be the same shade of white as the card I am working on!