Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   using modge podge - getting bubbles (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/using-modge-podge-getting-bubbles-252653/)

Glenneth 05-28-2007 09:34 AM

using modge podge - getting bubbles

I am altering some clipboards today. I just glued a piece of paper directly to the clipboard using modge podge. It was perfectly flat. Now while it has had time to dry, I am getting bubbles. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

cobrielle 05-28-2007 09:41 AM

subscribing

row4d 05-28-2007 09:43 AM

Mod Podge is more prone to bubbling than other brands of decoupage glue, but there are some things you can do to avoid or minimize it. When I use it, I try to adhere the paper starting at one edge and then carefully smoothing it across so that no air gets trapped under the paper to cause bubbles later. I think this type of glue must shrink a bit as it dries and cures, causing wrinkles and bubbles where there are air pockets.

Glenneth 05-28-2007 09:50 AM

I also have something called API's Crafter's Pick - The Ultimate. Says non-toxic, water-based, super glue. adheres to metals, plastics, glass, and more. Should I try it instead? I just always hear of people using modge podge for everything.

Thanks!

row4d 05-28-2007 09:53 AM

If it's not intended for paper, then I'd say no.

buggainok 05-28-2007 11:13 AM

I made some altered composition books at Christmas and used Mod Podge. I found I had better luck if I applied it to the book cover, rather than to the paper.

And other than that, just smooth, smooth, smooth with your fingers.

Some of the bubbles will disappear when it is totally dry I think. Good luck.

shastess 05-28-2007 12:54 PM

I agree put the mod podge on the item you want to cover and then put the paper on, do little sections at a time and smooth smooth smooth. I usually put a layer over the paper when I am done as well for the shiny finish. I like the idea that it is sorta "sealed" too. I think this is why many use mod podge, because it can be used over as well! Good luck!

okstamper 05-28-2007 01:46 PM

I've used this several times and had this problem. So I found it helpful to use a small craft roller (smaller version of paint roller) to roll over the items after it has dried. Or put the mod podge on the the item that you are working on rather than the paper itself, sometimes that helps. Then you recoat the project. I hope this helps..

Bonnie

Lynn in St. Louis 05-29-2007 01:59 AM

I use Bookbinding, Padding, and Laminating Adhesive (purchased from Club Scrap). The method I use is to put some adhesive in the center of the coaster (or whatever you are working on) and spread from the center towards the outside edges. I always let my pieces dry under something heavy to avoid curling or warping. I have never had any problems or any bubbles.

luna 05-29-2007 07:36 AM

I use my brayer to smooth the paper down it works really well.

MikiBee 05-29-2007 10:10 AM

I also apply the Mod Podge to the cover, tin.. whatever and then put the paper on top and smooth. I have found that the thinner the coat of Mod Podge you use, the less warping. Most of the bubbles then will disappear when it's totally dry.

I like Lynn's idea of putting something heavy over it till it's dry--that would work great on a notebook or even a clipboard. I'd just be careful to make sure no Mod Podge squeaked out and stickes to whatever you're laying it down on though, or that could ruin it.

I recently tried the Royal Coat decoupage glue. It was much thicker than Mod Podge, and it didn't bubble up. Downside was it dried almost too fast, so by the time I got done brushing it on, part of it was already dry.

marciad 05-29-2007 01:33 PM

I've had a lot of practice with this doing altered clipboards. Paper reacts when it gets wet. The trick is to get it to react before you mod podge it. Slightly dampen the paper you are applying and them use a thin layer of mod podge on the chipboard. Follow what the other gals said about smoothing it out. Don't worry if the paper curls when you dampen it. That's the way it reacts to dampness. I haven't done this with chipboard, but think it might help.

prettynpink 06-07-2007 06:54 PM

my question is about altering the back side of the clipboard. Has anyone tired this?

okstamper 06-07-2007 08:48 PM

All you need to do is, put some mod podge on with a craft brush, lay the paper on it and roll with a craft roller...after it dries, put something on it so it would lay flat...