Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Default Trimming Sentiment Strips and New Tool Take?

When it comes to getting a nicely aligned sentiment strip I always seem to go through a trial and error to get the results I want. There are various dies for cutting strips, but the process of finding the right one and making the cut is still a nuisance. Yes, yes, I know there are tricks out there from people like Jennifer McGuire, but what I want is a trimmer that will make the process quick and simple, regardless of whether I stamp with clear, cling, or mounted stamps. I own three trimmers (Carl, Fiskars, and Tonic) that I really like, but they just don't work all that well when it comes to 1/2" or so strips.

I've been waiting for a trimmer to be introduced that would be perfect for the job. Spellbinders claims its new Quick Trimmer will get great results with paper strips. It's primarily marketed for glimmer foil cutting, but I have no need for that. I watched the Spellbinders demo video and then was amused to see that the finished strip shown to the camera did not have the sentiment aligned all that evenly, IMHO! I'm also not that eager to have to use a sharp cutting blade. If you have purchased the Spellbinders Quick Trimmer, what is your take on its preciseness and ease of use?

Have any other companies come out with a product to get quick strips that have the words perfectly aligned?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I haven't used it, but I thought that the Misti Cut Align was developed to address this?
Cut Align

Personally I just a clear ruler with a steel edge, and a scalpel. Then I can line up along the base line of the font for my preliminary cut, and refine from there.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

It's that word "scalpel" that makes me cringe.  I have always been a dud when it comes to using straight edges or a Rotatrim.

Will look into this other tool you mentiooned!
Old 11-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Just looked.  $20!  Seriously?!?  Seems like I already have a quilting ruler sitting around that might accomplish the same thing.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

I received one of the Spellbinders tools - I like it for foil but for paper I really feel like it's lacking - I do like the cutters, and the way they lock into the little channels, but I prefer the smaller grid lines on the MISTI rulers. Once you have one cut done, there's no reference point for a second cut, and no way to ensure your first cut was straight to begin with besides eyeballing.
Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 11-03-2020 at 05:08 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

I like this discussion. I have the same problem with getting straight strip cuts. 
People usually say use a trimmer vs a guillotine but I dont have luck with them either. 

Gypsy rose-did you see what kind of blade she was using with the orange handle? I have that one and I think you do have better control with it if blades make you nervous. 
Old 11-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Not sure which orange handle you are referring to..... 
Old 11-06-2020, 01:41 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Personally I just a clear ruler with a steel edge, and a scalpel. Then I can line up along the base line of the font for my preliminary cut, and refine from there.

This is the way I do sentiments to. Every time I use a trimmer it looks like my cat did it. That is not a good thing.

I also use a quilting ruler and my rotary cutter. I get perfect results every time. GypsyRoseStamper if you are scared of the knife method (I understand the phobia. Assault survivor here. Certain knives freak me out) you could use your quilting ruler to mark the sentiment and then cut your mark lines with your trimmer.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:37 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Yep, pencil, ruler, and trimmer may be the best way to go.  I tried a razor cut (used Tim Holtz blade) yesterday with a metal ruler, but it didn't slice through the paper.  The same thing happened when I tried the Rotatrim in the quilting ruler.  Also, my self-healing pad is under my large glass desk cover - easy to see but tricky to access.  Just get me back to my good old Fiskars trimmer!
Old 11-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

It's in the vid Sabrina linked. At 3:04. It is a different handle for a blade that goes around your finger so not so much potential slippage imho. 
Old 11-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Okay, now I understand.  Orange always suggests Fiskars to me.  I have one of those finger blades - somewhere. . . .   I know I did not take to it at first attempt.