Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #81  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitterGaloreForums at Splitcoaststampers
Just when I have given up hope for the perfect paper cutter. I had the MM cutter and I used it to cut two pieces of cardstock and it now cuts crooked, because apparently it could not handle 2 pieces of paper. Then I bought a Dahle and it is not making a straight cut. I hate it when you put the paper against the top edge and it still cuts crooked. I am almost convinced, but nervous about investing more $ into a cutter.
I can completely understand your hesitation; I am a lot that way myself. As a matter of fact, I was that way a few weeks ago when I finally broke down and bought my Tonic. And I have to tell you that I am not sorry at all. This thing is amazing to say the least. I don't see how you could ever get a crooked cut on this. I'm not sure how many pieces you can cut at a time, as I only do one or two, but have never had a problem. I don't think you would regret your decision at all. Just my two cents.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #82  
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an excerpt from a letter to someone at Tonic who helped me a replacement papercutter. As you will see even the wonderful Tonic papercutter has problems IMHO. In the past years I have bought 5 papercutters of which one I could return and one was replaced. The other 3 are reminders of my true desire for someone to make the perfect papercutter.
The letter is long but in it I do list a couple of things I did to make the papercutters work better for me. HTH

Letter:
... I do not want to sound ungrateful, but I have a couple of comments that may be of interest. I work as IT consultant and have to deal with quality and customer satisfaction. I fully understand that it is impossible to please everyone, but I need to gather feedback so I can help my customers to improve their service and products.

While I was waiting for the replacement, I did not have a trimmer so I decided to make a modification to the trimmer so I could continue to use it. I simply cut off the bottom of the EZ Lever so I could lift the ruler all the way. Wow, that was a big improvement, because the way that I use the trimmer it is so much more convenient to lift the ruler up and have it stay in the up position while I align the paper. Cutting off the lever allowed me to do this.

One of the most attractive reasons that I originally purchased the 602 was the grid. That is such a huge benefit to keeping the paper aligned. Im sure you know that the in the US the standard card size is 4 x 5 , however, the grid stops at 3 . If the trimmer design was changed so that the grid went to 4 it would be terrific.

One of the other issues I had was that the extension ruler kept falling off. To remedy this problem, I trimmed a small cork and stuffed it into the open end of the post that holds the extension. The cork expanded the post, now holds the extension in place, and still allows the extension to open and close.

As the blades didnt last as long as other brands I have, I plan to keep the trimmer to make fine cuts because that although the guillotine is amazing, its not suitable for close trims. It is impossible for me to see where the cut line will be. To be able to see where the paper will cut, I removed the piece of plastic that hold the paper in place. I like the holder, but it is more important to be able to see the cut line if it were moved just a to the left I could still use the holder and see the cut line.

I am a member of SplitCoastStampers.com and they are quite a few threads about what paper crafters want in a paper cutter. Tonic is always rated one of the highest, but, there is a general feeling that why cant a company give us a trimmer that has the following characteristics:

Lightweight for portability: There are a lot of good large platform paper cutters, but its the small trimmers that seem to have the most problems. Paper crafters need to be able to take their trimmers on the road for classes, crops, etc. Almost all classes require that you bring your own trimmers and its impossible for a scrapbooker not to have their trimmer during a crop.

Grid: A lot of the cuts we do are smaller than making the grid very attractive. When you are making something from scratch, you may not know the exact measurements and therefore, many small cuts will be made. The ability to shave off the paper is critical.

Viewing area: We need to be able to see where we are cutting, especially when you just need to shave off a wee bit of paper.

Blade: There is a mix between like the roller, slides, and guillotine. Having a self-sharpening blade is terrific because the cost of blades can be quite high and the trouble with trying to find replacements can be daunting. Another issue for some paper trimmers is if the blade is sharp enough to shave off small bits of the paper for precision cuts.

Ruler: At times, we need to be able to cut paper that already has embellishments glued to the card. We need the ability to lift the ruler out of the way so we can make the cut.

Cost: Cost is always a key issue for hobbyists but paper crafters seem to be willing to pay for a product if it works as advertised and expected. The difference between a $20 trimmer and a $25 will not stop them from buying the trimmer if it is a great one.

Size: Craft room space is always an issue but many crafters have two paper cutters, a large platform cutter, and a small trimmer for precision trimming. Not to be unfair, but to give an example, Memories makes a cutter that folds in half and of the people who chose not to buy it seems to that it was too large. The Tonic guillotine is a nice size, even though its a bit heavy. I figure the weight is necessary for stability and durability.

I hope you understand that in sending you these comments I am doing what I would want a customers to do for me, tell me what I can fix so I can keep my customer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #83  
Polyshrink Goddess

They are on sale at JoAnns and shipping is free on $35.00 order too!

Free Shipping Coupon good till 04/27/08 code: SAD118

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...=search#select

Happy Shopping!

Laural
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #84  
Cardstock Collector

Default thanks for helpful tips

just made the on-line purchase of the 12x12 Tonic. I hope it's as great as most claim. Go to the previous mentioned site (cutters are on sale) and then use the free shipping code: FSF8CCHIEF. Total cost was $30.86!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #85  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapnut642Forums at Splitcoaststampers
They are on sale at JoAnns and shipping is free on $35.00 order too!

Free Shipping Coupon good till 04/27/08 code: SAD118

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...=search#select

Happy Shopping!

Laural
I too bought one. I ordered the Guillotine 12" with the large 12" base. Used this coupon:FSF8CCHIEF for free shipping and didn't have to spend any extra money at this time. Came to $31.15. WOW what a deal! TFS all the information on here!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #86  
Kookie Creator

I was so excited after reading all of you talk about the Tonic and mine came a week ago. I have to say, I hate it! It makes me so sad and I'm trying to like it but it doesn't work well. When I'm cutting ww cardstock, the end frays terribly. This is even if I just do one piece! Its like the part closest to me just isn't sharp or something. I've ruined a few pieces of cardstock already and I think its on its way back to Joann's. I just bought an x-acto trimmer at Staples, I'll see how that one works out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #87  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris2056Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I was so excited after reading all of you talk about the Tonic and mine came a week ago. I have to say, I hate it! It makes me so sad and I'm trying to like it but it doesn't work well. When I'm cutting ww cardstock, the end frays terribly. This is even if I just do one piece! Its like the part closest to me just isn't sharp or something. I've ruined a few pieces of cardstock already and I think its on its way back to Joann's. I just bought an x-acto trimmer at Staples, I'll see how that one works out.

Are you making a "slow" cut when you bring down the blade? Slow works better than a fast slice with this cutter. Also, make sure you are kind of pushing the blade toward the cutting edge when you bring it down.
The times when I have had a "fuzzy" or frayed edge have been because I made the cut really fast, like you might do with a cutter that has a sharp edge blade. There can be a little bit of a learning curve with a Tonic, but I can seriously slice off slivers of paper with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris2056Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I would seriously consider calling the company. That just does not sound right to me. I've never had it cut anything but a nice, clean cut....even when I go fast. I would bet they would make it right for you if you call. This is not typical performance of this cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #89  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyblueForums at Splitcoaststampers
Are you making a "slow" cut when you bring down the blade? Slow works better than a fast slice with this cutter. Also, make sure you are kind of pushing the blade toward the cutting edge when you bring it down.
The times when I have had a "fuzzy" or frayed edge have been because I made the cut really fast, like you might do with a cutter that has a sharp edge blade. There can be a little bit of a learning curve with a Tonic, but I can seriously slice off slivers of paper with it.
I've tried slow cuts, fast cuts, moving the cutter to the left when I cut (saw someone else suggest that) and every other tip I have heard or could think of. Maybe I got a bum one. It cuts great for the first 5 inches of length but if I use a full sheet of paper the bottom is a mess. I have to admit, the x-acto one I got to fill in for preparing for a class (I sold my old cutter when I got the tonic so I was stuck for a class) is working pretty well. I like its wood base. So, the question is get the tonic fixed or cut my loses and stick with the x-acto. hmmmm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #90  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have two more ideas for you to try, if you haven't already:
1-without any paper, run the blade handle up and down several times. Because it is self-sharpening, this would re-sharpen any dull spots.
2-are you holding the plastic guide down *really* tightly while you cut? That's the reason I get sometimes get rough cuts--I'm not pressing tightly enough.

Ok, a 3rd--some of those cutters just plain don't work. My friend got one (thru SU) and had to have it replaced. If nothing else works, you'll have to go thru the hassle of getting a new one. But good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #91  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up Trimmer came!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapnut642Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I too bought one. I ordered the Guillotine 12" with the large 12" base. Used this coupon:FSF8CCHIEF for free shipping and didn't have to spend any extra money at this time. Came to $31.15. WOW what a deal! TFS all the information on here!!!!
I got my trimmer. So far I really like it. I too like the spring loaded paper guide. I had 24 invitations for a surprise 50th party to make and I am very happy with my new trimmer. I am also Very happy that I got the 12x12 as I won't be taking it anywhere so I wanted something that I could use to cut 12x12 paper with. It is well worth the money I spent. I am go glad for the bargin.

THANKS to ALL of the input on this thread this support group is so wonderful!

Laural

Last edited by scrapnut642; 05-03-2008 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #92  
Matboard Maniac

I am thinking of getting it since it is on sale at Joann's right and with free shipping, that is a deal. Is the blade safe-sharpening?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #93  
Rubber Obsessor

Overstock has the large 12" guillotine and their shipping is always 2.95.
http://www.overstock.com/Office-Supp.../product.html?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #94  
Glitter Queen

Default Tonic 12" Trimmer Question

I just received my Tonic trimmer and was wondering about the finger guards (or paper clamp) used to press down firmly to ensure the paper doesn't move while cutting - is this paper clamp suppose to be sitting above the trimmer kind of loose or are the two silver knobs at each end suppose to be tightened down somehow so the clamp is more stable? My paper clamp is quite moveable and sits up above the trimmer and can be pushed down when cutting paper but then pops up and is loose again. Is there something defect about my trimmer?
Reply With Quote Likes