Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts
Default A Tip for Using Intricate Dies

Do you find it frustrating to poke all of those itty bitty pieces out of your intricate dies? I tried this today, and it worked really well. If you have a Cricut/Silhouette mat, stick the die to the mat. Burnish it well, being careful not to rip the die cut. Using a spatula tool or sharp craft knife, peel the die cut off the mat, again being very careful not to tear it. Of course, you'll have to scrape all of those pieces off your mat, but I found that to be much easier than trying to poke out all of those pieces out of my die. I only had to poke a few. This works best with a mat that isn't super-sticky, so hold on to those old mats.

If you don't have a die-cut machine, I think low-tack/masking tape will work just as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've put wax paper between my die and cardstock - and the bits just fall out. Thanks for another method.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for the tip.

I struggle with getting the actual die cut out of the die, sometimes it's stuck in there and I wonder if I am ever going to pry it out lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep - I agree with BillieDee - wax paper or bakery tissue ( I actually like bakery tissue better) between the paper and the die works wonders. If there are a few pieces remaining I just tap the die on the side and they more often than not - just pop out. Cheery Lynn Designs actually has a video on their site regarding how to remove the fine cuts from their dies - they are among the most intricate ones that I own.

If there are really small pieces left in the die - another trick that I read - was to run a clothes hair/dust remover over the die ( you know the sticky kind of roller to remove hair from your clothes) I've tried it and it worked.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillieDeeView Post
I've put wax paper between my die and cardstock - and the bits just fall out. Thanks for another method.

Yes, I've done that too, and it does help. This works better, though. The waxed paper works great for keeping the die cut from sticking in the die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #6  
Bunny's SunnyChick

Great ideas ladies...

I fight with them every time. I just hadn't thought to see if there were any good solutions for making it easier! Should have known SCS peeps would have a better way to play! ;)
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

When I have very intricate dies ie: butterflies etc. the first thing I do when I take them out of the package is to place a piece of 2" packing tape to cover the cutting side of the die. Then run it through the cuttlebug with a piece of paper. The die cuts the paper and also the tape. The paper releases and the tape sticks to the die. Next time you cut..the paper comes out perfectly. If you ever decide you don't want the tape on it anymore or else it needs replacing simply peel it off and start again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Noofy, what an interesting solution. I think I'll try it!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillieDeeView Post
Do you use wax paper each time you cut with the die?? Or just every now and then to "lubricate" it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
Do you use wax paper each time you cut with the die?? Or just every now and then to "lubricate" it.
If I'm feeling impatient then I automatically use the wax paper. Otherwise - its sometimes yes and sometimes no.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Great ideas! Going to have to give that a try. A couple of my Memory Box dies are particularly difficult with all those little bits that stick in there.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have used wax paper also, but am going to see if I can find some bakery tissue.

I also have the Cuttlehug, a 5 X 7 steel shim, that works wonderfully when you use intricate dies (works especially well with my Cheery Lynn b'fly dies).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosMomView Post
Yep - I agree with BillieDee - wax paper or bakery tissue ( I actually like bakery tissue better) between the paper and the die works wonders. If there are a few pieces remaining I just tap the die on the side and they more often than not - just pop out. Cheery Lynn Designs actually has a video on their site regarding how to remove the fine cuts from their dies - they are among the most intricate ones that I own.

If there are really small pieces left in the die - another trick that I read - was to run a clothes hair/dust remover over the die ( you know the sticky kind of roller to remove hair from your clothes) I've tried it and it worked.

Good Luck!

Thank you SO much for the tip about using bakery tissue in the dies, it worked like a charm! . I never would have even thought about using this product, so you are a hero in my eyes because I am now able to use those pesky Spellbinder Fleur de Lis square dies and get them out of the die intact. Joy!! .

I now have a new problem, though, what to do with those incredibly lovely tissue die cuts. This is what happens when you suffer from scrap-saver's syndrome.... ;).

Thank you, again, for the awesome tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

What is Bakery tissue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Excellent question! And one that im not sure im qualifed to answer. ;).

I understood it to be the lightweight, grease resistant little pieces of paper that we use in the US in the grocery stores and bakeries to pick up donuts and other goodies without touching them with our hands. There is a heavier vision that sandwich shops use to line reusable baskets when they serve sandwiches in their store. It is similar to waxed paper, but different...it is semi transparent, like waxed paper, but it does not have wax on it. Bakery tissue is thin, slick and smooth; it's durable enough to bend and grip something and your fingers won't poke through it. It does tear easily if you give it a tug. I'm not sure this helps you understand what it is, but it describes its characteristics.

The bakery tissue I used is a piece I picked up in the bakery of a local grocery store. It's about 6" square and is whisper thin and a cloudy white color. Is this something that is used in Canada?

Hope you are able to find something similar to try. I was impressed with how well it worked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you. I've never seen it sold in stores but will have a closer look next time at the grocery store.

Ter ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Interesting observation to report regarding using the bakery tissue in one of my intricate Memory Box dies. After I was done with the cut and had gently, and successfully, removed the die cut, I realized that the bakery tissue had remained intact in the die. I was just getting ready to pry it out when it occurred to me that the tissue could be left in the die and used again.

Sure enough, the next die cut popped out with very little poking , while the tissue, again, stayed jammed in the die. Wow, it's like having a built-in teflon coating to release the paper! :cool: So if you are fortunate enough to have the bakery tissue stick in an intricate die, leave it there, don't dig it out. You will be happy to have it there the next time you go to use the die.

Back to the laboratory, also known as my stamp room! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Interesting observation to report regarding using the bakery tissue in one of my intricate Memory Box dies. After I was done with the cut and had gently, and successfully, removed the die cut, I realized that the bakery tissue had remained intact in the die. I was just getting ready to pry it out when it occurred to me that the tissue could be left in the die and used again.

Sure enough, the next die cut popped out with very little poking , while the tissue, again, stayed jammed in the die. Wow, it's like having a built-in teflon coating to release the paper! :cool: So if you are fortunate enough to have the bakery tissue stick in an intricate die, leave it there, don't dig it out. You will be happy to have it there the next time you go to use the die.

I'm going to have to go to Tim Hortons and order a batch of Tim Bits solely so I can get a piece of this paper. I didn't know that's what it is called. Maybe if I'm nice and give a good tip, they'll give me an unused piece for free ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Atop for using intricate dies

Quote:

I found your comment "it,s like having built in Teflon" interesting
. In fact someone from Die Versions commented here recently that that's exactly what they were going to do with their dies. They are going to coat them so they come out easier. I have used their whisper die cuts whiich are very intricut especially the parasol or large butterfly which frustrated me no end. Perhapas more companies will follow suit with their intricut dies. As far as memory box I have never had a single problem with my 5 year old cuttlebug to cut them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Real Teflon in the dies? Wow, what a great I idea! I know I said Teflon, but it didn't even occur to me that they could even do that with those intricate dies. I will definitely be watching for these in the future, thanks for the heads-up on it! :cool:

I have only had issues with two different dies in my Cuttlebug, and it wasn't because it didn't cut, I just couldn't get the paper out of the die without tearing it to smithereens. The bakery tissue solved the problem with both of them and I'm a happy camper (and happy stamper! ;) ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Excellent question! And one that im not sure im qualifed to answer. ;).

I understood it to be the lightweight, grease resistant little pieces of paper that we use in the US in the grocery stores and bakeries to pick up donuts and other goodies without touching them with our hands. There is a heavier vision that sandwich shops use to line reusable baskets when they serve sandwiches in their store. It is similar to waxed paper, but different...it is semi transparent, like waxed paper, but it does not have wax on it. Bakery tissue is thin, slick and smooth; it's durable enough to bend and grip something and your fingers won't poke through it. It does tear easily if you give it a tug. I'm not sure this helps you understand what it is, but it describes its characteristics.

The bakery tissue I used is a piece I picked up in the bakery of a local grocery store. It's about 6" square and is whisper thin and a cloudy white color. Is this something that is used in Canada?

Hope you are able to find something similar to try. I was impressed with how well it worked.

WOW! what an awesome explanation! You should be in Sales! :p:p That is exactly how to describe it! Yes and You've found and shared the other secret -- if it stays in the die, you get to use it again and again! saves a bit of trouble and cost in the process!:p

I used bakery tissue last year when I was demo-ing for a LSS on some very, very intricate snowflake dies -- literally, all I had to do was tip them over and tap them against the side of a table and all the little pieces came flying out rather than having to poke them out....it was wonderful!

I was lucky enough to know someone in the food business to be able to buy some from -- I shared the box and yet it will last me for a VERY long time....I have not seen it in grocery stores - but one might try the "club" stores, or online or e-bay. Some of the sources that come up are foodservice accounts that usually sell by the case or freight is expensive - but maybe if there is a local outlet that helps -- e-bay sold in smaller size quantities with more reasonable freight --- good luck in your searches and I would love to hear back if you find another reasonable source. I LOVE this stuff!!!!!!

As for the teflon coated dies --- AWESOME! if they do that - I seem to remember that Cheery Lynn uses a special paint coating on their dies - among the most intricate that I have - not had a problem with them --- check out some of their original videos describing how to use their dies and it will mention it.

I'm so glad that this is working for people! Glad to have shared! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default A tip for using Intricate dies

We have Safeway here in Canada that use those little papers for picking up baked goods. Does anyone know if they work as well? Good to know if it works on some of the peskier dies.

When I first used Die Versions that do not have any pokie holes, I tried wax paper and spent almost 10 minutes after each cut trying to pick all the wax paper out of the die.:rolleyes:

I should say they were my friends dies, and after that frustration I vowed never to buy any of their dies. Now I will wait until their newer dies come out.
Here is something of interest I learned at a Rubber Stamp show where these dies were purchased, its Dies Direct the makers of Cheery Lynn dies that makes these dies for Die Versions.Not sure why Die Versions does not have the pokie holes like other dies.
Maybe the person that responded from Die Versions company before can pop in and give us a heads up .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Another couple of methods that I have read then tried out, and they do work.
The first is good old fashioned soap- rub over the die before cutting. Probably best to use a white soap, just in case, but I haven't had any problems with marking.
The other uses a block of beeswax- the sort quilters use? Do the same thing, rub all over the die. You could use a beeswax candle also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sam's Club sells bakery tissue.

My Gallery
Capricious Creations

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I use the plastic bag that some cereals come in. I cut off the sealed end, open it up, rinse the cereal crumbs off and lay it on a dish towel drying each side. It is heavier than wax paper and works so much better for me. And it is free. And it doesn't go in the garbage until it is used in the die cuts.

Post Shredded Wheat (Wheat'n Bran) Honey and I think Honey Bunches of Oats and Fiber 1 cereal use that kind of plastic. The plastic is also great for putting between hamburger or sausage patties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasroseView Post
I use the plastic bag that some cereals come in. I cut off the sealed end, open it up, rinse the cereal crumbs off and lay it on a dish towel drying each side. It is heavier than wax paper and works so much better for me. And it is free. And it doesn't go in the garbage until it is used in the die cuts.

Post Shredded Wheat (Wheat'n Bran) Honey and I think Honey Bunches of Oats and Fiber 1 cereal use that kind of plastic. The plastic is also great for putting between hamburger or sausage patties.
That's a great way to repurpose this plastic. I'll have to give this a try. I'm now envisioning using my largest nestie circle to cut out circles to put in between my hamburger patties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Exciting news to report on finding the bakery tissue in the nice little 6" squares that are used to pick up donuts. I was able to purchase a box from the bakery in our local Albertson's grocery store! . They happened to have several boxes on hand so they were willing to sell one from their supply. The man in charge looked on a chart for pricing info and said it would be $4.84. I couldn't say "YES" fast enough!!! :cool: I think I just happened to hit it at the right time, I was fully expecting to be told they didn't sell them to the public.

So if you are on the hunt for bakery tissue, you might visit a local bakery or grocery store with an in-house bakery and ask if they would be willing to sell you a box (or a quantity of sheets) of the tissue. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=Texasrose;19594761]I use the plastic bag that some cereals come in. I cut off the sealed end, open it up, rinse the cereal crumbs off and lay it on a dish towel drying each side. It is heavier than wax paper and works so much better for me. And it is free. And it doesn't go in the garbage until it is used in the die cuts.

Great tip. Thanks. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes