Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Tip - Alternative for Embossed Backgrounds (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/tip-alternative-embossed-backgrounds-347005/)

jpardoe 05-10-2008 07:12 PM

Tip - Alternative for Embossed Backgrounds

I just want to share a tip for those who don't want to spend a fortune on a Cuttlebug to emboss backgrounds. I use Fiskar's texture plates to emboss backgrounds. I get several comments on my "Cuttlebug background" so I don't think you can tell the difference. Fiskar's texture plates are so much cheaper!!! Regular retail is $12.99 for 12 designs where I live. Use your HL coupon to get a set of 12 backgrounds for under $10.00!!! All you need is a stylus. Granted it's a little work to emboss the design but the cost is worth it!!! They have a ton of designs, including filigree, paw prints, baby feet prints, vines, stone, brick, confetti, waves, fabric, dragonflies, rain, dots, peacock feathers, and oodles more.

I just love mine and wanted people to know these are available as a cost-friendly option for embossing. Happy stamping!!!

Julie
:)

meerkat3 05-11-2008 04:06 AM

I love these! I did get a CB, though, and I use the plates in my CB, but I also use them separately. I got the little Fiskars doo-dad three-pronged stylus they sell (also not a lot of $), which I find way easier than a standard stylus for the size of the plates. You are correct - inexpensive and they look just as good!

Tamburasi 05-11-2008 04:10 AM

I really like my texture plates too, but what kind of a sandwich do you use in your CB?

graciez 05-11-2008 04:18 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a 3 prong stylus..I don't even know how to use a stylus...I've had my CB and that's all I've ever used. I think it's time I tried this! TFS

jpardoe 05-11-2008 08:17 AM

Meerkat3 is correct...you have to use a 3-prong stylus. I should have mentioned that. It will take ALL DAY if you use a regular stylus!!!

Thanks for adding that meerkat3!!!

Oops!
:oops:

arlybeans 05-11-2008 09:47 AM

graciez... the 3prong stylus that I have for the Fiskars plates looks a little like a cross between a wine cork and a mushroom with 3 little nubbie prongs on it for making the impressions. They call it a texturing tool. Works wonderfully :o) Here's a link:

http://www.fiskars.com/AU/Crafts/Pro...etail6bf6.html

If that link doesn't work, just search 'texturing tool' on the fiskars website.

graciez 05-11-2008 10:57 AM

Thankis, Arleen...

scrubbybubbles 05-11-2008 05:24 PM

I have a question about these. I recently purchased the texture plates with the 3 prong stylus as well. In using the 3 prong stylus however on cardstock or even regular paper, I noticed that the prongs leave shiny trail marks on the top of my paper and interfere with the whole embossing appearance. Is there any other way I could use this where that doesn't happen?? thanks for any help.

dgmlmax 05-11-2008 05:36 PM

Are there any tips that can be passed on to those of us who don't find these plates easy to use. I have the texture tool, and I do get texture but not from the plates, just scratchy marks from the tool. I tend not to use these plates because of this.

Thanks,
Dina

Anemone 05-11-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat3 (Post 9790437)
I love these! I did get a CB, though, and I use the plates in my CB, but I also use them separately. I got the little Fiskars doo-dad three-pronged stylus they sell (also not a lot of $), which I find way easier than a standard stylus for the size of the plates. You are correct - inexpensive and they look just as good!

I also would like to know what sandwich you use in your CB?

I love pink 05-11-2008 07:56 PM

me too I would also like to know sandwich please ! I got the texture plates for $2 when Target had their huge sale, I got the 3 prong thing to use with them but I just cannot get it to work hence they have not been used yet!

pjw2855 05-11-2008 08:16 PM

Years ago I purchased the 3 prong embosser from Fiskars along with their embossing plates. The 3 prong thing is not worth squat in my opinion. I chucked it out but for what ever reason I kept the embossing plates.

After purchasing my BIGkick and Cuttlebug about 18 months ago, I now use the Fiskars embossing plates mostly in my BIGkick but at times in the Cuttlebug. They certainly aren't as deeply embossed as when using the Cuttlebug folders or brass stencils, but I still use them from time to time. I find the snowflake embossing plate from Fiskars to be the worst. The impressions in the plate are very shallow, therefore I don't get as deep an embossing on my project as I would like.

These are just my opinions, but other people may have different results or expectations.

Patti

Tamschro 05-11-2008 09:19 PM

I have the texture plates as well. I used them a little, but then I did get the cuttlebug... no more sore tired hand from all that embossing..... :) I use embossed backgrounds on most of my cards these days, because of the ease of the cuttlebug. But I did start with the Fiskars Plates, and they have some really neat designs, and are so much cheaper.

cbet 05-12-2008 06:12 AM

I have all three sets of the Fiskars plates and their stylus and their texturing tool - the only texturing tool I liked with them at all was the Empressor (the one with the rolling ball tips). With the texturing tool, there is no way to get away from the scratchy look on the back of the cardstock, but the scratches didn't show on the front side. Even with the Empressor, if I was using one of the more detailed plates, I ended up with a sore wrist. I did like the look of the finished piece, though.

Glad I didn't get rid of them - they work great in my BigKick. And I agree, the snowflake plate doesn't give as good an impression as the others.

MyMelissa 05-14-2008 08:37 AM

I wonder if using wax paper would help with the "scrathes" that you gals are speaking of.

I would also be interested to know what the sandwich recipe is for using these plates with my cuttlebug.

Crafty Lady2 05-14-2008 08:42 AM

I haven't tried to use the Fiskars texture plates in my Cuttlebug yet, but if you're interested in buying a Cuttlebug, I found a website that has them on sale for $35 PLUS you get one free embossing folder for free. Here's the link in case you're interested: http://www.creativexpress.com/shop/home.php?cat=2435

If that link doesn't work, just go to "www.creativexpress.com"

They've been on sale for at least a month so you might want to get one quickly if you want to get one at this price - the normal retail is around $69!

mrsjllove 05-14-2008 08:47 AM

Here is what I use in my CB with the Fiskars plates:

From bottom:

A Plate
3 cardstock shims
B Plate
1 tan embossing mat
the cardstock to emboss
The fiskars plate (with the side that you want to appear facing the cardstock--they are two-sided)
ANOTHER embossing mat
B plate.

The texture isn't as crisp as using the CB embossing folders but still produces a nice texture on cardstock.

dpetersen 05-14-2008 08:55 AM

Here is a link to a really nice chart for Cuttlebug sandwiches made by Cat here on SCS. It includes the Fiskar texture plates.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=214770

cocoapuff 05-14-2008 09:00 AM

Thanks for the Fiskars plates recipe for the CB. I have had my Fiskars plates for years and love them. Yes, the three pronged stylus leaves scratch marks on the back of the cardstock, but people are usually so impressed with the look, that they do not even notice that. I recently purchased a CB with an Amazon gift card and am not as familiar with this product as my texture plates. What are the shims and embossing mat that you are talking about? Did they come in the CB packaging and I missed them or did you have to purchase them separately? Thanks for your help. :D

MichelleGoodrich 05-14-2008 09:30 AM

I find I get very good results from the texture plates in my cuttlebug using this sandwich (Plate “A”, Fiskars texture Plate, Cardstock, both tan Wizard pads, Plate “B”) but I do these two things for best results:

1. lightly mist the cardstock with water
2. run the sandwich back and forth a couple of times (so that it goes through the press 3-4 times.) I do this by just turning the handle the opposite direction as soon as the cardstock is through the press but before the 'sandwich' comes all the way out.

Hope this is helpful to you CB users. (By the way, I tried the plates with just the little embossing tool and was totally unhappy with the way they turned out. I'm SUPER glad that others have had better results!)

MiriamB 05-14-2008 09:50 AM

Fiskars Embossing Plates

I, too, find them very easy to use. I did buy the 3 prong tool for $4.95 at my Pat Catan's store where I bought the plates. I did try the stylus, too, but the 3 prong tool is faster. The girls in my Stamp Club love it. You can also try the rounded edge of your bone folder. As for the shiny, when you emboss, you want the raised side on your card, thus the shiny side would be on the back and wouldn't show. Also, card stock takes a little more effort that using paper but both work. Don't give up!

mommystamps 05-14-2008 10:07 AM

MichelleGoodrich

Michelle, what are the wizard pads you mentioned in your sandwich recipe? (I just love using food lingo with card stuff!!)

short4j 05-14-2008 10:30 AM

I also bought the Fiskar's plates as an alternative to the CB - as well as the embossing tool - and ended up returning all of it to JoAnn's. That tool didn't work worth squat (as someone else said!) and I got scratches all over. I didn't want to use my embossing "pen" to go over it all so I just took them all back. Maybe i'll try again - or get that CB on sale. The mgr. at JoAnn's looked at me like I was a moron for it not working; I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that tool to be useless! Kudos to those of you who love it! :)

Lauriloo 05-14-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmax (Post 9794846)
Are there any tips that can be passed on to those of us who don't find these plates easy to use. I have the texture tool, and I do get texture but not from the plates, just scratchy marks from the tool. I tend not to use these plates because of this.

Thanks,
Dina

I would love some tips as well! I had bought them and did not have much success so I ended up with a cuttlebug....

patko 05-14-2008 01:48 PM

texture plates

I use them in my cuttlebug too.
I use an A plate, piece of silicone bakeware sheet (we can't get the tan mats here is Aus) paper, texture plate,C plate & it works just fine.

I also read, if you rub over your cardstock with wax paper when either using the tool or a stylus makes it much easier, I do that with my scrapboss & stylus.
Pat

snowmanqueen 05-14-2008 01:57 PM

I have the Sizzix Bigkick and my sandwich is:
platform without the 2 tabs
cutting plate
Fiskars texture plate
paper
white felt (same size as texture plate) (You can buy a piece for 25 cents at Wal Mart)
cutting plate
The felt helps with the embossing.
Some of the texture plates, you need to run through twice.
This works for me.

e waterous 05-14-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Lady2 (Post 9820051)
I haven't tried to use the Fiskars texture plates in my Cuttlebug yet, but if you're interested in buying a Cuttlebug, I found a website that has them on sale for $35 PLUS you get one free embossing folder for free. Here's the link in case you're interested: http://www.creativexpress.com/shop/home.php?cat=2435

They've been on sale for at least a month so you might want to get one quickly if you want to get one at this price - the normal retail is around $69!

You have made me one VERY HAPPY stamper!!! I've been looking at the "bug" for ages, but couldn't justify spending $70-80 for just ONE tool. Now I can put my embossing folders in the machine instead of trying to emboss with a rolling pin!!! (somebody here came up with that idea a while ago...)

Crafty Lady2 05-14-2008 02:42 PM

It's nice to see someone get as excited as me for a change. I don't know too many crafters - they all think I'm nuts for getting excited over this stuff!

GlendaC 05-14-2008 02:54 PM

Embossing instructions

Just noticed on the Fiskars site that they have detailed instructions for using their plates and recommend using wax paper. I certainly don't recall these instructions being in the packaging which would seem to have been a sensible idea - there were actually no instructions included.
http://www.fiskars.com/AU/Crafts/Fis...echniques.html
After reading this, I might have another try using them with their tool (they did work in my Cuttlebug)

SouthernStorm 05-14-2008 06:14 PM

Thank you, Carolyn, for the sandwich recipe for the Big Kick!!!! I haven't had mine long and have the Fiskars tex. plates on my wish list. I was planning to ask if anyone knew the sandwich. May God bless, Sandi

jimandbeth1 05-14-2008 11:36 PM

I have the 3 prong stylus and the texture plates myself. Ill admit, they are not as easy and perfect as if I had a cuttlebug, *but* with time and patience, I can get a nice clean embossed background. Sure I have the scrates on the underside and you could never use the debossed side face up. But if I go over it enough with both the three pronged do-hickey and my regular stylus to fill in, I find that none of those scratches show through to the other side. The only real problem I have had was that I kept wanting to look at my paper before I was done and then couldnt line it back up to finihs. So I just tape my paper to the plate and work on it for a few minutes. Sure the cuttlebug is easier, and for someone who has arthritis or some otherhand issues, these plates wont compare, but I just cannot afford a cuttlebug and the folders. I am glad to know Im not the only one using them.

MaryBrewer 05-15-2008 01:20 AM

Awesome Price

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Lady2 (Post 9820051)

WOW thank you so much for the link to that site............I just ordered it and got 1 free embossing folder with it also for $35............I am one happy Army Wife right now:-D

Deb_t 05-15-2008 01:30 AM

Does anyone have examples of what the embossing looks like using these texture plates in a cuttlebug? I couldn't find any links to card examples.

thanks,
Deb

Aussie Girl 05-15-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patko (Post 9822823)
I use them in my cuttlebug too.
I use an A plate, piece of silicone bakeware sheet (we can't get the tan mats here is Aus) paper, texture plate,C plate & it works just fine.

I also read, if you rub over your cardstock with wax paper when either using the tool or a stylus makes it much easier, I do that with my scrapboss & stylus.
Pat

I was only just thinking about this the other day. I will have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing this tip.

mamadwawa 05-15-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb_t (Post 9827300)
Does anyone have examples of what the embossing looks like using these texture plates in a cuttlebug? I couldn't find any links to card examples.

Admittedly not the world's greatest card, but the raindrops are done using the Fiskars plate in the Cuttlebug. I used the texture tool way back when, but I have Lupus and just one card was oh so tiring and REALLY painful. I was very happy to get my Cuttlebug - worth every penny I must say. (BTW, did you know that if you have another store's flyer with a sale price on the Cuttlebug, AC Moore will give you another 10% off? That's how I got mine for less than $40.)

I don't remember the exact sandwich I use, but it is similar to those mentioned above, except I use an old mouse pad (from back when they were thicker and rubbery all the way through - now they have a hard substance on top). Works like a charm, but of course, as stated earlier, not as deeply etched as the true embossing folders. But honestly, none of the recipients has ever cared about that detail.

HTH,

~Gael

stampbystep 05-15-2008 10:21 AM

I have used the Fiskars plates with the texture tool/stylus and with my Big Shot. The results are stunning either way! Biggest difference (besides the $$ - a sore hand!)

Cheryl Kay

tina van-eick 05-17-2008 09:37 AM

I have used the texture plates with the three pronged stylus. I usually put the cardstock on top of the plate and then wax paper on top of that. Then I just rolled the stylus over top. It makes it really easy. HOWEVER, when I saw the Spellbinder's Wizard demoed embossing cardstock with the Fiskars Texture plates I went nuts and ordered a Wizard right away. The sandwich is White Master Embossing Mat, Fiskar's Texture Plate, Cardstock (paper, foil, whatever) lightly misted with water, Tan Embossing Mat and the Blue Emboss Charm Mat. Your paper is embossed in seconds!

lizb 05-17-2008 10:07 AM

here are some examples using fiskars plates and a cb
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=23849
I find that on regular cardstock, misting the c/s with water helps a lot.
I get a fabulous result using metal foil sheets:

Deb_t 05-17-2008 11:43 AM

cuttlebug and texture plates

Wow I didn't know my cuttlebug could do so much. And I thought my texture plates would never get used after I bought the cuttlebug. This is great! Thanks so much for the examples. Now I'm gonna have to go give it a try myself.

Deb

Aussie Girl 05-17-2008 05:53 PM

oops forgot to add, I have the fiskars stylus too. I had so much trouble with it marking the card that I would do it the old fashioned method.

Now I have a cuttlebug so I am Happy :)