Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 274 Likes on 76 Posts
Default TH's Distress crayons

Where did the weekend go? Even though it was a 3-day holiday weekend for me it went by so quickly... My creative juices were flowing and I have few projects going...
A couple of my new found luvs are w/s oil pastels and gelatos I like that creamy consistency for easy application and how well they blend...
so I decided to give the Distress Crayons a try. I was truly disappointed and I will not buy another set, wasted money
I watched the videos on Youtube and I'm still not getting the desired effect I'm looking for.

How do you use them?
What is your favorite techniques using them?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're in my donate box; Gelatos make me happier. I love Distress: inks, markers and Oxide inks, so it's not that I'm anti-Distress. These didn't float my boat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Distress Crayons are very different than any other medium. I just got the last three sets - still gotta get a Bundled Sage.

Here's a blog post I did with Distress Crayons: https://artbyvic.wordpress.com/2016/...try-103-day-4/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
Distress Crayons are very different than any other medium. I just got the last three sets - still gotta get a Bundled Sage.

Here's a blog post I did with Distress Crayons: https://artbyvic.wordpress.com/2016/...try-103-day-4/
You've mastered the crayons and your cards are beautiful.

I'll give them another try since I have them, but I won't buy any more.

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks! Have you seen this video by Tim comparing the crayons with Gelatos?
Carolyn Dube has a couple of good videos, too: https://www.youtube.com/user/rajns12...stress+crayons
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I have - and if you looked in the dictionary, wouldn't the definition of enthusiasm be "Carolyn Dube?!" I'd like to take one of her in-person classes. : )

In three different LSS's, when the crayons were mentioned, or I asked peoples' opinion, I never heard anyone rave about them - not even from a highly skilled instructor who taught a class using them. But since every medium is different, it's just a matter of finding a good fit. I mean even within one medium - say traditional watercolors - there are differences and a brand one person loves another struggles with, right?

But the videos might turn "meh" to love for some so nice you posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I have - and if you looked in the dictionary, wouldn't the definition of enthusiasm be "Carolyn Dube?!" I'd like to take one of her in-person classes. : )

In three different LSS's, when the crayons were mentioned, or I asked peoples' opinion, I never heard anyone rave about them - not even from a highly skilled instructor who taught a class using them. But since every medium is different, it's just a matter of finding a good fit. I mean even within one medium - say traditional watercolors - there are differences and a brand one person loves another struggles with, right?

But the videos might turn "meh" to love for some so nice you posted.
This is what I needed to see. Thank you for posting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 06:16 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To your point, Beth - I was not even remotely interested in Gelatos OR Distress Crayons until I watched the video Vic posted comparing the two (thanks, Vic!), and now I'm VERY interested in the Distress Crayons! I have watercolor-y media already (several kinds), but nothing with the properties of the crayons. I thought of all kinds of things I might try with them taking advantage of the resist/stable properties when other things are added to the mix. Like Tim says in the video - he did that on purpose. I can see how, unless you were taking advantage of those very specific properties, they could be a frustrating experience. They don't seem to blend well without leaving a hard edge, for example, when used in a "traditional" way. I may pick up one or two crayons (if they're open stock now) and see what I think... Thanks, everyone, for a thread that brought up new possibilities for me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 06:46 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Hey Sue. : ) I took a technique/card class by the instructor mentioned, and we played with properties Tim mentions, plus being an information junky, watched videos. The crayons weren't frustrating, just not my cuppa.

It's like do you prefer chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry? I' sure vanilla is best, but some might not quite agree.

BTW, a reason I wanted to try the crayons was because I already liked Gelatos, and being able to add colors to dried colors without the colors blending - also learned in a technique class - was a joyous moment.

BTW #2, if you'd like my set, PM me your address and I'll toss them in the mail, no charge of course. I recently was unexpectedly RAKed and it's my turn. Anyway, I love when something that doesn't love me is loved by someone else. ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I ordered a gel plate to experiment after watching Carol Dube's videos... I have plenty of acrylic craft paints to work with already. I read that you should not use ink or ink pads on the gel plates.
Has anyone tried using the distress crayons on a gel plate?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Hey Sue. : ) I took a technique/card class by the instructor mentioned, and we played with properties Tim mentions, plus being an information junky, watched videos. The crayons weren't frustrating, just not my cuppa.

It's like do you prefer chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry? I' sure vanilla is best, but some might not quite agree.

BTW, a reason I wanted to try the crayons was because I already liked Gelatos, and being able to add colors to dried colors without the colors blending - also learned in a technique class - was a joyous moment.

BTW #2, if you'd like my set, PM me your address and I'll toss them in the mail, no charge of course. I recently was unexpectedly RAKed and it's my turn. Anyway, I love when something that doesn't love me is loved by someone else. ; )
What a generous offer! Thanks so much...

I love it when something that doesn't love me is loved by someone else, too - good way to put it! (And you're perfectly correct about vanilla...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I ordered a gel plate to experiment after watching Carol Dube's videos... I have plenty of acrylic craft paints to work with already. I read that you should not use ink or ink pads on the gel plates.
Has anyone tried using the distress crayons on a gel plate?
You can use some inks. Gelli Arts has a good FAQ. The first half a dozen questions are about which mediums can be used: faq | Gelli Arts

Some info "out there" is incomplete or inaccurate, like for everything, of course! : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As of this week in our Joann's all the Distress stuff including Distress crayons has been removed and put in a clearance bin, even Distress Ink and all his ephemera and Distress Glitter. The stocker said they weren't going to be carrying much of his stuff. They would be carrying other Ranger products though. There may be some Distress crayons in the sale bin of your local store if anyone wants to get them 40% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
As of this week in our Joann's all the Distress stuff including Distress crayons has been removed and put in a clearance bin, even Distress Ink and all his ephemera and Distress Glitter. The stocker said they weren't going to be carrying much of his stuff. They would be carrying other Ranger products though. There may be some Distress crayons in the sale bin of your local store if anyone wants to get them 40% off.

I'm glad I read your message yesterday. Went to Joann's today and was in hog heaven! I did pick up a bunch of Tim's clearance items. Everything else of his in the regular display was 30% off, but so were most of the stamping products in the store. Some new items, including Distress crayons, were well-stocked.

Visit My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yay! Glad to hear it is happening in other stores and you were able to get some bargains.
Reply With Quote Likes