Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Tape Depot's ATG Gun??? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/tape-depots-atg-gun-482669/)

stamper24/7 03-04-2010 08:53 AM

Tape Depot's ATG Gun???

Does anyone have this gun ??? What do You think of it ?? I broke my red one from framing supplies.com......and need to get a new one ASAP.
Would you recomend the one from tape depot??
Thanks

debbiemom23cs 03-04-2010 09:39 AM

I have this gun and while it does work, I would suggest replacing your with the "Real" thing. The Tape Depot tape works great but when I use it in my Tape Depot dispenser, the used up liner will get all wonky inside and I will have to stop, pull off all the used up stuff and rethread it so I can start all over. It does this 2-3 times a roll. I don't think the Scotch ATG does this.

Anyone?

Mom2AngelJocelyn 03-04-2010 10:01 AM

I have the ATG 700 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it so much, i take it to my card class every month.

mom22flyboys 03-04-2010 12:46 PM

I have the Tape Depot one. I really like it. You have to get used to it's little quirks, but I have and deal with them. If you load it very carefully, the tape rolls smoothly all the way to the end. Sometimes I have to take out the used tape and re-do it, but it's only toward the very end of the roll. For the difference in price between it and the Scotch, I'll deal with these slight mishaps.

bound4london 03-04-2010 02:46 PM

I found that gun cheap and went with the 3M. Better quality--saving money isn't always a good thing when the tool is cheap. I bought it at Dick Blick and love their service too and their price. I have been very happy with it.

kikikaren 03-04-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23cs (Post 16257335)
I have this gun and while it does work, I would suggest replacing your with the "Real" thing. The Tape Depot tape works great but when I use it in my Tape Depot dispenser, the used up liner will get all wonky inside and I will have to stop, pull off all the used up stuff and rethread it so I can start all over. It does this 2-3 times a roll. I don't think the Scotch ATG does this.

Anyone?

You're right. Scotch doesn't do this.

Every once in a while (usually on the Gold rolls), I'll have an issue with it bunching up, but that's because I lost a crucial part to the gun. When I had the part, I never had this issue!

stamper24/7 03-07-2010 07:18 PM

Thanks to everyone for your opinion

theresalaird 03-08-2010 06:01 AM

I have it and have no problem with the gun but with the tape they sell. It is not the quality of 3m. I say save the money on the gun but buy the better atg tape that 3m sells. Good luck with your decision.

kardkrazie 03-09-2010 11:12 AM

I have the Tape Depot gun and have the same problems that everyone is having. :mad: I was glad to see the post about the tape being the problem and will try the Scotch brand next.

My3LittleMonkeys 03-10-2010 02:45 AM

JoAnn...I had both and sold my Scotch and just have the generic now. I did a whole comparison on my blog...those exact posts are located here.

I have not ever had a problem with my generic gun, hence why I sold the Scotch. I actually prefer the grip on the generic better. It just fits my hand better I guess.

ScrappinMoments 03-10-2010 08:25 AM

I have the ATG 50 from Tapedepot. I got the gun and 12 rolls of tape for under 50 (and shipping was included).

I had several problems, and found a fix for one of them. I kept the wheel of a used up tape roll. When I put on a new roll, I have to also put on the empty wheel. If I don't, the tape roll will walk its way to the top, making the tape running all misaligned. But also with doing this, I found the used tape is now rolling up very nicely and I don't have the problem of it getting all wacky.

My current problem is that when the tape rolls over that very first roller, the sticky part is wrapping around it. By time it hits the 2nd roller it has no sticky tape to lay down. I then have to clear the 1st roller of that mess and start again.

I'm not sure why the tape is doing that and I'm thinking about putting out the $$ for a Scotch or 3M one (not sure which makes it). I'll have to keep checking for when they get them back in stock. I'll just give my ATG 50 to my daughter to use.

My3LittleMonkeys 03-10-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinMoments (Post 16294424)
I have the ATG 50 from Tapedepot. I got the gun and 12 rolls of tape for under 50 (and shipping was included).

I had several problems, and found a fix for one of them. I kept the wheel of a used up tape roll. When I put on a new roll, I have to also put on the empty wheel. If I don't, the tape roll will walk its way to the top, making the tape running all misaligned. But also with doing this, I found the used tape is now rolling up very nicely and I don't have the problem of it getting all wacky.

My current problem is that when the tape rolls over that very first roller, the sticky part is wrapping around it. By time it hits the 2nd roller it has no sticky tape to lay down. I then have to clear the 1st roller of that mess and start again.

I'm not sure why the tape is doing that and I'm thinking about putting out the $$ for a Scotch or 3M one (not sure which makes it). I'll have to keep checking for when they get them back in stock. I'll just give my ATG 50 to my daughter to use.

Where do you store the gun? If mine gets dusty, it does that because it won't stick to the paper. If you just clear that part off, it works perfectly fine. I actually think it is a tape issue and not gun.

jutta 03-10-2010 01:05 PM

ATG tape

I looked at the Dick Blick site, but they don't seem to carry the 1/4" tape. The Tape Depot site gave my computer a security warning as I tried to check out, so I didn't enter any info. Rats!! Does this mean that I have to order from Framing Supplies? :confused:

Jutta

Hiding in My Craft Room 03-10-2010 08:12 PM

I have both the ATG 714 and the ATG50 sold at tape depot. I have some issues with It like others at times, but for the price...... I personally think it is worth a little trouble.

My3LittleMonkeys 03-10-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jutta (Post 16296312)
I looked at the Dick Blick site, but they don't seem to carry the 1/4" tape. The Tape Depot site gave my computer a security warning as I tried to check out, so I didn't enter any info. Rats!! Does this mean that I have to order from Framing Supplies? :confused:

Jutta

If you don't feel comfortable on the Tape Depot site, they used to have an eBay store. You can look on there. Also, there are many other sites that sell ATG tape besides framing supplies, for instance cropandstick.com.

Happy shopping!

Scrapjanny 03-11-2010 03:23 AM

I bought an ATG and tape refills from Amazon.com. Great prices and fast shipping. Reasonable shipping prices too - if you order from the same company.

dancincz 03-11-2010 03:53 AM

hi everyone - finally made the decision to get an ATG gun (tax $$ back...yea) - prefer 'brand' names, so want a Scotch one...there are different models, which one is best??
thanks in advance, carole

My3LittleMonkeys 03-11-2010 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancincz (Post 16299781)
hi everyone - finally made the decision to get an ATG gun (tax $$ back...yea) - prefer 'brand' names, so want a Scotch one...there are different models, which one is best??
thanks in advance, carole

If it were me, I would get the 714. I rarely need tape wider than 1/4" inch...and if I do, I just add another line next to the first one. :)

kardkrazie 03-11-2010 06:19 AM

I am going to try some of these suggestions. Thanks for sharing.

annie21211 03-11-2010 08:13 AM

I bought the Tape Depot gun and the gun itself seems fine to me...it's the adhesive that I bought with it that I don't like. It's not breaking cleanly at all. The adhesive is stretching before it breaks and that makes the end piece all shriveled and gummy. Very irritating. I am confident I am stopping correctly.

I'll keep the generic gun but will buy the Scotch adhesive next time as a friend of mine says she doesn't have that problem with her Scotch adhesive.