Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk to me about adhesives!

So, now that I'm getting more seriously into cardmaking (and soon scrapbooking), I need some advice on adhesives. Right now I'm alternating between a plain ol' UHU glue stick and my ATG gun, it really depends on the mood I'm in and what I'm adhering. I also have a temp/perm blue glue pen that I occasionally reach for, and of course I have dimensionals.

So, fellow artsy paper folk, what do you like to use? And specifically, what do you use to adhere non-paper items like ribbon, buttons, fabric, etc? My knowledge of adhesives is severely limited, so any advice will surely be helpful!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you will find that every stamper has their favorites when it comes to adhesives, and there are so many kinds available.

Myself, I use my ATG gun for everything I can manage to stick down with it, especially layers on my cards. I haven't used fabric on my cards yet, but if I did, I would probably use the ATG also.

I also keep a bottle of Tombow Mono-Multi liquid adhesive in the green and white bottle handy for small pieces that the ATG gun is too unwieldy for. You can find it online, and at lots of the big box stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby. You don't need to use much, just a small line near the edge, or a few dots on smaller pieces.

I also use a really tiny dot of the Mono-Multi to attach any gems which are not self-adhesive.

For really small stuff, I like the Zig Two Way glue pen.

For ribbons running across my card, I generally use the ATG.

To attach buttons, I like glue dots.

I have other adhesives that I've bought and tried because someone recommended them, but the ones above are what I use most in my cardmaking.

You will probably need to experiment with several kinds to find your favorites. Good luck!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Samantha add a glue gun to your list of adhesives and I think you have all you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I would say this, avoid the "cheap" adhesives. I loved the Ad-tech dot runners at Wal-Mart. They were inexpensive and they flowed across most surfaces. What I found out was that though they are listed as archival safe, they lost their adhesive qualities in less than two years. So make sure what you are using on things you want to last, are quality. Don't cut corners. It's an easy thing to do when we first get started but as time goes on, it becomes more costly in the final products.

IMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my ATG. I hated it at first, but once I got the hang of it I don't know how I lived without it. For sticking down die cuts and things that come out of my cricut I use therm o web sticky dots. It comes in a package of like 8 sheets. You stick the items on the sticky part and then put the cover sheet over and rub it then you peel the cover sheet off and remove your items to stick wherever. It is similar to using the xyron only much less waste and you aren't limited to the size of your xyron. I use Martha Stewart glitter glue for anything glittery, it dries fast and I love the fine line applicator. Anything big like buttons I use stampin dimensionals or glue dots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am still a glue stick girl too. I have not bought an ATG gun. I don't have a need for one now. I like my glue pen too, especially for glitter.

When I apply rhinestones & buttons I adore Aleene's Tacky Glue and Diamond Glaze. Ribbon and fabric I have used my adhesive runner. I had the Xyron adhesive makers for those materials but I didn't like the cost of feeding the Xyron's adhesive. I am thinking of buying a big jar of Yes glue for fabric and ribbon. I heard it's just "it" for those materials.

Add me to the list of ThermoWeb fans for my die cuts. A heck of a lot cheaper, easier to use and store than the Xyron.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

As stated above, everybody has their "favorites" when it comes to adhesives. After trying many brands I love Tombow mono adhesive (permanent). You can order the refills online at PENWA.COM. They're about 1/4 the price of what you can get them for in the stores. It works for paper, ribbon, fabric, anything flat. I like gluedot brand or thermoweb for adhesive dots. It's really strong and holds all kinds of buttons, bows, etc. Michaels' and Hobby Lobby frequently have those brands on sale.
Good luck in your search. I'm sure you'll find your "favorite" soon! Happy cardmaking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default My answer is the same as many here......

1. Don't give up the Uhu glue stick!! I love mine and have found it to be better adhesive than the rollers sometimes.

2. Zots (I prefer these over Glu-dots just because I like how they come off the roll...just a personal preference).

3. My ATG gun. Love it. My favorite reason for this gun is that the adhesive is like rubber cement. If you put a bit in the wrong place, you can rub it off!

4. Tombo and Ad-Tech rollers. Tombo is great, but the refills can get pricey.

HTH!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the 3M ATG and absolutely LOVE it!!! Easy to work, easy to load, and the adhesive is reliable.

For materials that won't "take" the adhesive, I tend to use mini-glue dots (Stampin' Up) and Scor-Tape a.k.a. Sookwang tape widely available in online stores.

Red-liner tape, a.k.a Terrifically Tacky and other names, is good too, but the Scor-Tape can be torn to size with your fingers.

I'll use two-way glue for glitter, and keep a little bottle of Tombow multi on hand for oddly shaped pieces that are a pain to put ATG tape on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

sub

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

My favorite adhesive is Making Memories Tape Runner. Have been using one for years and haven't seen anything else that I really wanted to try. I do use Scor-Tape when I have heavy things though.
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scotch double-sided tape: good, strong hold for attaching layers and larger pieces. I know I'm probably old school, but I like this tape and it's easily found at many stores.

Scotch quick-dry liquid adhesive: strong, fast hold for odd-shaped pieces

Glue dots: for ribbon, buttons, etc.

Glue pen: mostly for adhering glitter, don't use very much anymore
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I have not purchased the ATG gun because I feel it is too large for me. I tried my friends, and it just was too cumbersome for me. I do have a Glue Glider Pro that my son gave me for Christmas one year, and I love it!! I also do use Ad-Tech, when I can find it, that stuff won't budge, but I don't know about it's long term holding power, I haven't had a card long enough to tell. I'm not crazy about the Tombow one. So now I go between Ad-Tech, and Glue Glider Pro.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
I have not purchased the ATG gun because I feel it is too large for me. I tried my friends, and it just was too cumbersome for me. I do have a Glue Glider Pro that my son gave me for Christmas one year, and I love it!! I also do use Ad-Tech, when I can find it, that stuff won't budge, but I don't know about it's long term holding power, I haven't had a card long enough to tell. I'm not crazy about the Tombow one. So now I go between Ad-Tech, and Glue Glider Pro.
My experience with Ad Tech is though it goes on smoothly; after a year or 18 months max, the cards and pages are just falling to pieces. Not impressed anymore. Having to rebuild alot of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Ugh!! I don't keep things long enough to know how long the adhesive lasts. Guess I'll ditch them, and just use my glue glider. I had been using the ad tech on cards, which I send out to people..so I haven't heard any feed back on how long they last. thank you for the info!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I love the new scotch roller. I get it at Michael's with a coupon. I get the refills too. It is the best I have used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I used Zip Dry glue for years but I quit when I started to find the colours beneath starting to show through (especially black coming through the white top layer). I started using the double-sided tape sold in Canada by Be Creative in Pitt Meadows, B.C. (Sookwang to others). It took a bit to figure it out as once it is down...that's it folks! I just start to peel the strips about half way on all four sides...eyeball the placement....place down one corner and lay it down carefully. If it is all lined up then I hold down the layer and remove the tape "handles". One can do amazing things with this tape...fixed my fridge magnet, taped down counter top in motor home that was lifting...etc. My DH keeps eyeballing my tape rolls! Man, and the techniques you can do with this stuff....this is just one and is the Burnished Velvet technique developed by Heroldine and Deanna here.

I use my ATG for mass production of cards, I use Martha Stewart tape roller to fill in any spots I may have missed (her tape roller is the best out there and I have tried them all...smooth to roll out, never gums up). I use glue dots for ribbons or tags to keep them placed correctly. I use pop dots for dimension and I use Martha Stewart gel glue for embellishments. That glue is incredibly awesome. I just glued down 225 crystals on wedding invitations and it holds better than anything I have tried. I have a bottle that has lasted me years...just a dab on a CD pallet and I dip the embellishment in the glue and place it down...dries crystal clear and flexible.

Each person has their own preferences and I am really happy with mine.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I love.....

Beacons 3 in 1 glue .....for cards and most other stuff

fabritac.... ribbon felt and of course fabric! ;)

glue arts glue glider pro.... my go to tape runner

be creative tape....it's liek the scor pal tape in all kinds of sizes.

zig 2 way glue....glitter and small things
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I've tried a ton of adhesives and after reading everyone rave on SCS over the ATG I got one and am now a huge fan too! I've noticed that several projects I made last year with my double sided scotch tape didn't hold up. I use diamond glaze/crystal effects to adhere buttons, magnets, metal embellishments etc to my cards. I find that the ATG gun is best for ribbon. I like Scor Tape, but it doesn't compare to the ATG adhesive. I've been ordering my ATG refills from thetapedepot.com and you can't beat the price. I think it ends up at about 2.00 with the bulk rate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I use Tombow Multi Adhesive for cards, scrapbooking and 3D projects and I use Sizzix big shot adhesive sheets for ribbon, vellum, small punched pieces and lots of other stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Love my glue glider pro! (tried an atg and it was to bulky for me. I mainly make cards.) So the glue glider pro is a better fit for me.

Heavy layers/projects zip dry.

Red line tape for adhering ribbon/buttons

Dimensional glue dots for buttons or other things to give a lift 3d effect.

small narrow precise things that need to be glued I use a glue pen!
Reply With Quote Likes