Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IKEA storage units

I've got to do some organizing, and I see some of you using IKEA items. What are your favorite IKEA storage units? I took a look at their website, and see various lines. A new IKEA store is opening in Charlotte NC in February!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I have their DVD wall mount rack and they are perfect for SU inkpads:

SU Ink Pads in Ikea DVD Holders on Rotating Shop Fixture by SKICIO at Splitcoaststampers

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I use a kitchen island in my room as a cutting/stamping table. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have an expedite book case, 3 billy bookcases and my table is from the Vika Amon (I think) collection. I love Ikea!!! Oh yea and don't forget the Bygel rails for punches. I also have another cabinet thing that has sliding doors. I love it all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKICIOView Post
I have their DVD wall mount rack and they are perfect for SU inkpads:

SU Ink Pads in Ikea DVD Holders on Rotating Shop Fixture by SKICIO at Splitcoaststampers

Can you still buy those? I looked for them and couldn't find them a while back.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:26 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

MY Entire studio is IKEA just about the bars are the Bygel kitchen system, Expidet Bookcase, tabels are the black brown top $30 each Vika Amon(sp). Legs were $5 each, wall shelves can remember name but they are $14 each. I love Ikea! I also buy alot of their jars for alteringand storage.

PS>You can see pictures in my gallery page 4 maybe...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ablack311View Post
I have an expedite book case, 3 billy bookcases and my table is from the Vika Amon (I think) collection. I love Ikea!!! Oh yea and don't forget the Bygel rails for punches. I also have another cabinet thing that has sliding doors. I love it all!

Can you still buy those? I looked for them and couldn't find them a while back.
Hi! I'm not sure if you still can. I bought them about 2.5 years ago. Hmmm.. makes me wonder now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigmom6View Post
MY Entire studio is IKEA just about the bars are the Bygel kitchen system, Expidet Bookcase, tabels are the black brown top $30 each Vika Amon(sp). Legs were $5 each, wall shelves can remember name but they are $14 each. I love Ikea! I also buy alot of their jars for alteringand storage.

PS>You can see pictures in my gallery page 4 maybe...
I took a look at your pictures and love what you did to you room. I have some Ikea storage units and thing also. I love that store too...

Gail :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

i love this, i have one and need another one.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20107873

i also have one of these shelves in wood, it was cheaper,$5

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50072259
it has a lip on it, perfect for stamps. its what i put my background stamps on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh my - I just found one not too far away -

Does anyone know what Ikea's stock is like? can you place items on hold or do you just go, cross your fingers and hope what you want is in stock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
oh my - I just found one not too far away -

Does anyone know what Ikea's stock is like? can you place items on hold or do you just go, cross your fingers and hope what you want is in stock?
My husband and I go and we hope they have what we want in stock. We live about 2 hours from one,so when we go we make a day of it. They have great swedish meatballs there that we have for lunch or dinner. We have even bought some to take home to make...there sauce is the best Oh and don't for get the Lingenberry sauce;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:22 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

and don't forget about the childcare i love shopping there, they have so much great stuff for us crafters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My husband and I go and we hope they have what we want in stock.

If you go to the website, there's usually a place on the page of the item you're looking at to check stock. It's on the right, in a yellow box that says "Buy at your local store." Pick your store from the dropdown menu and then click the "Check stock" link underneath.

You can't get them to hold it for you, but at least you know if they have any (though they don't guarantee the webpage stock check is 100% accurate).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:34 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfuller76View Post
and don't forget about the childcare i love shopping there, they have so much great stuff for us crafters.
We have never used the childcare at our Ikea. We have 3 boys...13 yrs. old, 5 yrs. old and a 3 yr. old. The one we go to is by a big city and I am not comfortable leaving the 2 little ones there alone yet. Maybe in a couple of years though..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Mine is so far away it isn't feasible to go unless we are on a road trip. I love the place though. Can you do much on line?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I downloaded the roomplanning program (Ikea Home Planner) to figure which items would fit on which walls and it was great. I spent a lot of time swapping items in & out until I had the craftroom I wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I downloaded the roomplanning program (Ikea Home Planner) to figure which items would fit on which walls and it was great. I spent a lot of time swapping items in & out until I had the craftroom I wanted.
That's a great idea!!!! I didn't think of that. I'm going to have to look into that before I do my craft area when our downstairs is done. I am getting about 1/3 to 1/2 of the large room. I already have some Ikea pieces and now I will be able to see what else I can fit and where. Thanks for the idea!

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooboostamperView Post
I took a look at your pictures and love what you did to you room. I have some Ikea storage units and thing also. I love that store too...

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

We have never used the childcare at our Ikea. We have 3 boys...13 yrs. old, 5 yrs. old and a 3 yr. old. The one we go to is by a big city and I am not comfortable leaving the 2 little ones there alone yet. Maybe in a couple of years though..

Keep in mind they have a size limit! My 7 year old barely made it inlast week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafterinncView Post
I've got to do some organizing, and I see some of you using IKEA items. What are your favorite IKEA storage units? I took a look at their website, and see various lines. A new IKEA store is opening in Charlotte NC in February!
I saw this last Thursday when my DH and I were on our way to Lexington, NC! Can't wait. I think there's a road trip in my near future
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigmom6View Post
Keep in mind they have a size limit! My 7 year old barely made it inlast week.
I wasn't sure if there was an age limit. The 13 year old with stay with us anyway....but the other 2 could go. It looks fun...ours has a ball pit and all(not sure if they are all the same) , but still not sure if I want to leave them on there own. I know that there is an employee there, but being by the big city and the way today is, I guess I am just uneasy about it. Kinda wish I wasn't so shopping could sometimes be alittle more enjoyable.

Gail:-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Gail, I think you'll find the Home Planner program really useful. It keeps track of the measurements so you can't put an item into a space that's too small. It simply won't let you.

You enter the dimensions of your room, including windows, doorways, etc. You can tell it that the windows are so many inches from the floor (or ceiling) and so wide, where light switches & electrical outlets are, etc. You can just give wall measurements if you want, too. That part takes a while since you have to go get the measurements!

However, once you have saved the room with your measurements, you can go shopping. You drag & drop items into your room and move them around. You can even rotate the room to get a 360 view. The program knows the dimensions of all the Ikea products it offers and you gave it the dimensions of your room, so it's a simple process of dragging & rotating things around until you have what you need where you want it.

I did find that some items on the website were not offered in the program, which was a bummer. The Expedit wall units were there, though, and I ended up using items from that line. The Lack line was NOT in the program, and that was a shame because I would have loved using some items from that line when I was planning the room. I did end up buying some Lack shelves, I just couldn't put them in my "pretend" rooms.

Each time you have an arrangement you think you want, you save that room. Then you move things around, add/subtract items and save that room (with a different name or a number after it, so it won't overwrite). Save a bunch of rooms and then go back and look at them all. You can even print them out so you can spread them all out and compare them. It's a lot of fun!

Of course, the exhilaration fades a bit when you click on the Item List button and get the total price...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
Gail, I think you'll find the Home Planner program really useful. It keeps track of the measurements so you can't put an item into a space that's too small. It simply won't let you.

You enter the dimensions of your room, including windows, doorways, etc. You can tell it that the windows are so many inches from the floor (or ceiling) and so wide, where light switches & electrical outlets are, etc. You can just give wall measurements if you want, too. That part takes a while since you have to go get the measurements!

However, once you have saved the room with your measurements, you can go shopping. You drag & drop items into your room and move them around. You can even rotate the room to get a 360 view. The program knows the dimensions of all the Ikea products it offers and you gave it the dimensions of your room, so it's a simple process of dragging & rotating things around until you have what you need where you want it.

I did find that some items on the website were not offered in the program, which was a bummer. The Expedit wall units were there, though, and I ended up using items from that line. The Lack line was NOT in the program, and that was a shame because I would have loved using some items from that line when I was planning the room. I did end up buying some Lack shelves, I just couldn't put them in my "pretend" rooms.

Each time you have an arrangement you think you want, you save that room. Then you move things around, add/subtract items and save that room (with a different name or a number after it, so it won't overwrite). Save a bunch of rooms and then go back and look at them all. You can even print them out so you can spread them all out and compare them. It's a lot of fun!

Of course, the exhilaration fades a bit when you click on the Item List button and get the total price...
Thanks for all the info. Does sound like fun......and I already know I won't want to see the total price..LOL

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Bygel rails and hanging baskets for me! Love them for punches and misc. items that I want to have close at hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Ikea

Wow that room thing sounds really fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I have a MARKOR buffet that I use for storage. Lots of room inside, and the height is perfect for cutting. It's also the right height for our parakeets' cage. They keep me company while I stamp. Mine is almost like this one, except it's an older model that had slightly different (more) drawers in the center section.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60139297

My main table is the BJURSTA. I love the slide-out leaves. The table is just 3 feet square, but with the leaves it becomes six feet long:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50116809

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

ANyone have any experiences with these? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90115756

I'm trying to put together a space that can be "closed" off as my space will be in our main space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

ANyone have any experiences with these? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90115756

I'm trying to put together a space that can be "closed" off as my space will be in our main space.
I've seen the unit they go in and like it. I have not seen the inserts for it. They look nice. That would be a multifunctional unit then. You get two things for the price of one.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Those go into the expedite shelf. I have the expedite and love it. I have seen people make picture frames to cover the "holes" to enclose a section and it looked really nice. I may at some point pick up one of the draws inserts, but it didn't seem cost effective for me at this point. You could search "expedite" in the gallery and see if you can get additional enclosure ideas.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh yeah I know it goes in the case. I just wondered if the 12x12 cardstock fit within it ok. I'm trying to think everything out.

I love using 12x12 but its a pain to store and if it is out in the main room and I would rather not tempt little creative people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Ok you gals are killing me here! I'm just starting to move out of my current crafting space (dark little spare bedroom) and have just started looking for shelving and other great storage units and I totally didn't even think about Ikea and all the great stuff they have. Thanks for reminding me to go over there and take a look at what they have. Even though I made a resolution not to buy any more stamping stuff for quite a while I think I might have to get a few things from Ikea. A girl has to be organized, right? :mrgreen:

By the way I'm totally drooling over all of your beautiful craft rooms you all have shown pic's of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

oh I'm sorry, yes it does fit the 12x12 very nicely. I just stick my card stock in there without any other holder and they stand up pretty well. The cropper hopper paper holders don't fit standing up, but they do on their "back". I have used an LP box from ikea to store my 12x12 and I like it pretty well.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have 1950's 60's Danish teak furniture in my living space downstairs that is converting nicely to all my stash. I should take pictures and show you all. presently it is full of miniatures as I did dollhouse miniatures and porcelain dolls in a former life. ,<g> There is lots of shelf space and closed doors that will handle 12x12 papers. I also use the drawer system from Target which has the removable boxes so you can take one to a crop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like the ScrapNcube but I don't know if I can justify the costs... Ikea just even with buying doors might make this affordable especially as I need to do some kitchen units too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by PipergirlView Post
Even though I made a resolution not to buy any more stamping stuff for quite a while I think I might have to get a few things from Ikea. A girl has to be organized, right? :mrgreen:
You've hit the nail on the head...this isn't STAMPING stuff, it's ORGANIZING stuff. So your resolution is still on track!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I wasn't sure if there was an age limit. The 13 year old with stay with us anyway....but the other 2 could go. It looks fun...ours has a ball pit and all(not sure if they are all the same) , but still not sure if I want to leave them on there own. I know that there is an employee there, but being by the big city and the way today is, I guess I am just uneasy about it. Kinda wish I wasn't so shopping could sometimes be alittle more enjoyable.

Gail:-)
It is so safe. Only the person who signs them in with id can sign them out with id. It is more of a height requirement than age but they do have to be potty trained. They will love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafterinncView Post
I can't WAIT! I'm just doing my craft room/daughter away at college bedroom...LOL! She took everything and I mean EVERYTHING except a wall unit desk we built, which is now MY craft wall unit desk...LOL
I've been spending HOURS gathering ideas! All of the ladies here are sooo CREATIVE, KNOWLEDGEABLE, GIVING and just plain WONDERFUL! I have a note pad scribbled up with all of my "findings" that I'm going to put into action...by the way - did you notice the time I'm posting this?! 2:50am EST! LOL
Anyhow, on a trip to the MIL's I saw the bright glowing IKEA sign from the hwy! I thought maybe it was a truck depot? Glad to know it's going to be a STORE! I live in the Raleigh area but WILL be making a road trip after it opens!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Charlotte opening February

I heard the Charlotte store was opening Feb. 7.
I just got a catalog in the mail from them today. You can order one from the on-line site. I thought it would be good to get on their mailing list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

YOu all are lucky. My IKEA is about 125 miles away. Would have to be a planned road trip for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Question

Are the Bygel Rails to hang your punches from round like a small curtain rod or flat?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

I love Ikea stuff too....I have a few Ikea things in my kitchen/Stamping room.

I got my bookcases there, my baskets, my wire and clips for ribbons, my CD rack for clear stamps...when I get my *own* room I will be back for more...LOL

I used to think everything was too contemporary, since I like traditional and RUSTIC stuff, but they have stuff that works for my style too!

Pics are on my blog:
http://papercanoes.blogspot.com/2009...n-kitchen
Reply With Quote Likes