Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Subscriptions/monthly kits (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/subscriptions-monthly-kits-642608/)

fl_beachbum 10-02-2022 03:58 AM

Subscriptions/monthly kits

Hi all! We are getting closer to Christmas and I know my husband will be asking me any day now what I want as a gift. I was thinking it might be nice to get a craft subscription, like a monthly kit. I would love some feedback on the different kits out there, from those of you who have given them a try or know someone who has...? It can be for either paper crafting in general or more specific to card making or scrapbooking.
I am familiar with the SU! kit and am not interested in that one.

lovinpaper 10-02-2022 04:08 AM

I purchased one Simon Says Stamp kit. I like all that came in the kit and have only used the stamp set. One of these days, I will use the paper. I already had ink, so didn't really need that portion. There is an embossing folder, which I haven't used yet, either. Since I am so slow using it, I am not sure it was really worth the amount of money I spent.

I have 2 Hero Arts kits. I didn't subscribe, but purchased later as they were still available. I have used some of the each kit. Again, there are items still unused as I tend to reach for inks and papers that I already have.

PMR 10-02-2022 05:43 AM

I get the Let’s stamp together kits from scrapbook and cards today. It comes every other month. Then there is a class. I really like it.

UnderstandBlue 10-02-2022 07:20 AM

Spellbinders has some fun XYZ of the month clubs which are cool because you get a single large die set, or a single small die set, a single embossing folder etc.

Like Lisa - I don't need any more paper LOL. So I find these intriguing.

If you'd rather have a project type kit, they have them, MFT, Hero, SSS do too - and there's also Stitchable cards if you like to stitch as well as make cards.

TOTALLY unrelated, I like the Acorn & Twigs potholder/looping kit. :)

fl_beachbum 10-02-2022 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMR (Post 22202779)
I get the Let’s stamp together kits from scrapbook and cards today. It comes every other month. Then there is a class. I really like it.

I don't believe I have heard of this one. I'll check it out, thanks!

fl_beachbum 10-02-2022 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue (Post 22202797)
Spellbinders has some fun XYZ of the month clubs which are cool because you get a single large die set, or a single small die set, a single embossing folder etc.

These are on my list to consider. I like that its product specific.
I sometimes purchase the SSS kits when available, but like you and Lisa, I don't really need the paper (or some of the other items).

fl_beachbum 10-02-2022 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaper (Post 22202754)
I purchased one Simon Says Stamp kit. I like all that came in the kit and have only used the stamp set. One of these days, I will use the paper. I already had ink, so didn't really need that portion. There is an embossing folder, which I haven't used yet, either. Since I am so slow using it, I am not sure it was really worth the amount of money I spent.

I have 2 Hero Arts kits. I didn't subscribe, but purchased later as they were still available. I have used some of the each kit. Again, there are items still unused as I tend to reach for inks and papers that I already have.

I feel the same way about these. Sometimes intriguing, but often include other items I don't really need. Often the discount makes it worth considering, but I don't like filling up with things i don't use.

PMR 10-02-2022 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbum (Post 22202851)
I don't believe I have heard of this one. I'll check it out, thanks!

https://scrapbookandcards.com/lets-stamp-together/

craftydolls 10-02-2022 04:28 PM

I have bought kits from Hero Arts, Tonic, Pink & Main, Gins K, Simon Says Stamp and Spellbinders. I have liked the ones I bought and found them all to be a good value. Most of them are not something I would want every month. Spellbinders lets you choose if you want to contine each month, and you are only buying dies or stamps or whichever club you choose, They have some very reasonably priced options. Altenew has some subscription stamps & kits, but I have never bought any of theirs I have enough stuff that I prefer to pick and choose. I sometimes only buy the stamo set from Simon or Gina K. Have fun deciding, there is lots out there to pick from.

wavejumper 10-02-2022 07:49 PM

There is a lot of them out these days. Unity has one too. I think theirs are only extra large stamp sets (plain rubber). From what I see they are diverse. Like a person, sentiments, other images...

lutheran 10-03-2022 03:16 AM

For scrapbook stuff, I recommend Echo Park. Take a look!
Mary Beth

ozarkstamper 10-03-2022 06:32 AM

Divinity Designs Blessings Box is $75 once every three months; 3 cycle commitment required. A good value, but like most kits, there is a very brief preview period, and you may skip only one kit, or cancel subscription for a fee.

Debbie Koch 10-05-2022 05:21 AM

I like Stampin' Up!s Paper Pumpkin. The first kits weren't that great, but lately they're stepping it up. I can also make alternative projects with the kits! Fun!

Turkey1969 10-05-2022 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMR (Post 22202882)

Scrapbook and Cards today also has a "sampler" subscription. I haven't received one yet, but that's another option. I'll get my first one in November.

lchatter 10-10-2022 12:27 PM

Paper Pumpkin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie Koch (Post 22203393)
I like Stampin' Up!s Paper Pumpkin. The first kits weren't that great, but lately they're stepping it up. I can also make alternative projects with the kits! Fun!

I agree. The last several Paper Pumpkin kits have been amazing!

beaddict 10-14-2022 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue (Post 22202797)

Like Lisa - I don't need any more paper LOL. So I find these intriguing.

If you'd rather have a project type kit, they have them, MFT, Hero, SSS do too - and there's also Stitchable cards if you like to stitch as well as make cards.

TOTALLY unrelated, I like the Acorn & Twigs potholder/looping kit. :)

I love all the different options Spellbinders has -small budget, big budget, the whole shebang or a single item.

fl_beachbum 10-15-2022 03:17 AM

I'm very tempted by the Spellbinders, especially the small die option. I like that you can stop at any time. The Echo Park kit Mary Beth recommended for scrapbooking is nice, too. I hesitate with that because I haven't been doing as much scrapping lately. I'm not sure if it would inspire me to do more or if it would get set aside. Hmmm

Debbie Koch 10-15-2022 05:46 AM

Stampin' Up!s Paper Pumpkin is very flexible, too. You can suspend and skip a month, or cancel for several months or whenever you want to re-activate it. No penalty or pressure to purchase a certain number of kits.

fl_beachbum 10-15-2022 04:22 PM

Thank you ladies for mentioning PP, but I am definitely not interested in it. I have been with SU for many years - these days a hobbyist - so I am familiar with the product.

TeriJ 11-05-2022 07:31 PM

Brutus/Monroe has several subscription products:
Inspiration Box $35, Stencil of Month $8, Embossing Powder of Month $8, Die of Month $15, Stamp of Month $5, Stamp & Die of Month $10.

Unity has
Kit of the Month $37, Whit Kit $40, Background of the Month $17, Uniquely Unity $25

A Cherry on Top has the Cherry Box for $32-mostly scrapbook focused, includes 12x12 papers but also variety of items can be used for cards or other papercraft projects.

Tonic Studios Craft Kits include mixed media products, paper, stamps and dies, $33 month. There is a "Designer's Choice" product that is strictly dies for $20 month.

Graphic 45 has a monthly Card Kit for $35, an album kit for $50. The directions for each kit are free on their website, click the Inspiration tab to download PDF for past kits.

gregzgurl 11-06-2022 05:59 AM

Just a quick note on the Unity kits. Beginning January 1st the prices will increase: Kit of the Month $45, Whit Kit $42.99, Uniquey Unity $16.99, Background $18.99. The past kits that you get a discount on if you're a member are going up, as well: KOM $34, Whit Kit $14, UU $14, BG $14.

I've been a fan of Unity for the past five years, and their stamps are by far the largest portion of my collection. I was a member of the Kit of the Month for about a year and a half, then bowed out, then re-joined in June, and cancelled again after October's kit. The Kit of the Month is a good value, I feel, as you get an entire sheet of rubber, and the images are larger than many/most other companies'. However, there are often odd sentiments that I don't know what to do with, and there seem to be a lot of butterflies lately. Quite often portions of the kit are made into smaller kits that anyone can buy (lke a bird and a sentiment, or one of the girls beomes an Angie girl - you get the idea). I've never been tempted by the other kits. They are hit-and-miss as to how much I like them, and the Whit Kit includes items I know I would not use (although they're pretty nice if they're something you would use).

Just my opinion, of course, but I thought I'd throw out my thoughts in case it was helpful at all, and I thought the price change might matter.

fl_beachbum 11-06-2022 10:07 AM

TeriJ - thank you for the pricing info!
Sue - thank you for the details on the changes and what you've been seeing with Unity's kits.

BroncoFan60 12-31-2022 01:22 PM

I did the Stamps of Life Stamp and die club for about 2 yrs til I retired but really enjoyed it. A new set each month and Stephanie would throw in an extra stamp set for free from time to time.

lutheran 01-02-2023 02:20 AM

Take a look at Catherine Pooler's kit club, she has a refreshing take on colors and "let me show you how."
Mary Beth

fl_beachbum 01-02-2023 07:42 AM

Thank you, ladies! I went with the Spellbinders small die option and am already enjoying it! But I'm keeping this conversation bookmarked so I can refer to it when it's time to change it out.

Thanks again!