Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-25-2007, 01:14 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SU Write Markers or SU Watercolor Wonder Crayons??

Good morning,

Hope you all had fun opening your pressies on christmas day and doing whatever else you did!!

I've been given some money for Christmas for SU or other stamping stuff and have decided to invest in a really good set of colouring pens or pencils. I decided on SU stuff as it will coordinate with the rest of the inks and cardstock I intend on buying! Which of these 2 would you recommend?

I tend to use (some cheapo) watercolor crayons more at the minute because the markers we have over here in the UK are either Marvy le Plume II pens (OK quality but don't always match SU colors) or cheap and nasty Whisper pens which don't work as well. However, I'm more swayed towards the pens as I think they will give a brighter image.

Both are a serious investment compared to the pens/pencils we can get over here but I know the quality will be worth it. For the 48 markers it's 107.95 (about $215) and the crayons are 76.30 (or $152.60 ish), but money is not really an issue as I've been given nearly $400 in christmas money.

Would love to hear your recommendations and any other suggestions you have for "coloring in" pens/pencils, but I really don't want to invest in copic markers just yet!! A bit out of my price range as they are incredibly expensive over here!

Thanks Vannessa xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2007, 03:36 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow -- that's a tough one! The markers were my first big investment and I've never regretted it. I love all the things I can do with them. I also had the watercolor pencils, which I also use(d) quite a bit. That was a couple of years before they came out with the crayons. Since I'm a gal who believes you can never have too much color, I got the full set of crayons. Sadly, it sat for about a year while I was content to play with the color options I already had. In the past few months I've stretched into the crayons, and my first thought was, 'what have I been waiting for?! These are so much fun!!!' So, sorry not much help here, but you're sure to have fun with whatever you choose!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2007, 06:08 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would get the markers over the crayons. They have a lot more versatility. Especially if you do not have all the SU ink pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both and love them both, but I think the markers will be more versatile--use marker when you only want to stamp part of an image, match your handwritten parts (scrapbooking, but also when you write your personal message in a card) to a color in the rest of your card, coloring in images (and you can still get a watercolor effect by just outlining, then pulling the color through with a water pen), use markers with the blender pens, etc.

Good luck on making your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I have both. Made my Christmas Cards and Ornaments this year with the Crayons. My suggestion, if you have to choose between the pens or crayons would be to get the pens. More versatility and can be used to color in, journal, make lines of several sizes. Enjoy and Merry Christmas from Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Smile Markers!!

Hi,

The Many Mahvelous Markers were my first big investment with SU - and I hve NEVER regretted it! I use them CONSTANTLY! They allow you to color different portions of a stamp different ink colors without having to restamp using the Stamp-a-ma-jig over and over. They also allow you to stamp only a word or two from a sentiment phrase. I just love the precious and control they offer, and they match perfectly since they come in all Su colors.

I purchased the WWC last year during Sell-a-bration and was not impressed when I tried them, so they continue to sit there. A lot of people really love them, I am not one of them. (Variety is the spice of life right?)

Either way - I hope you enjoy spending your holiday loot! Cheers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile Thanks

Thank you to everyone who replied.

I think I'm going to go for the markers because as a lot of you have said I can use them on stamps, especially as I don't have many of the ink pads yet. Just got to decide which stamp sets to buy now LOL

Thanks again, Vannessa xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

my 1st choice is the markers (i have and love them)

my 2nd choice is the wonder crayons (they are on my wish list)

i got some SU! $ too! woot woot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I think it depends on how you color most. If you're big into water coloring, then the crayons may be the way to go, but if not, markers are a bit more versatile in my opinion. If I can be an example - I splurged and got all the WW Crayons before I had all the markers. Then, I realized that I really don't have many of the right type of stamps (non-solid or doodle style sets, etc), nor the patience or skill to watercolor. So, I traded them all. Now, I'm trying to save up to get the complete set of markers. I think that they are more versatile because you can color images with them, you can ink directly onto the image and stamp it in color, and you can sign your personal cards with them, making them look even more matchy and coordinated. Anyway, my personal experience!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I have to agree here, even though it sounds like you made your decision already. I would go with the markers. it is so nice having all 48 colors. What you can do with the markers in order to color with them and not have such bright bold colors is to find something non-porous, like the top of a plastic stamp box. Then use your marker and scribble a bit on the box, giving you an area to use your watercolor brush or your aqua painter to pick up the color. This would only work for smaller areas you want to color with lighter color, (not for example a sky), but it works great if I want to color in part of an open area I have stamped and not have it quite as bright as the markers usually color.
Reply With Quote Likes