Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Copic questions

I just got some Copic markers recently (it's all your fault..darn enablers ;)), and I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I love the markers, but I'm not really having such great luck with ink or paper that works with them.

Can you recommend cardstock? I can't seem to find one I like. Georgia Pacific was my favorite at first, but ink runs out of the lines when I'm shading close to them. It's a pain to have to color leaving a gap away from lines so that the ink can run over there instead of out of the lines. SU works okay, but the markers don't blend as well. PTI just takes too long to saturate, and in the process, it's probably using twice as much ink and I am not looking forward to buying refills for these things, lol so I'm hoping to make this ink last as long as possible ;). I can't think of any other paper to try though. Is there something else aside from these that you've had luck with?

Also, what kind of ink are you using? I started with Palette, but it runs. It looks like a lot of people have good results with it, but it even runs when I heat set it. I searched on SCS and on google for what kind of ink to use with Copics, and a lot of people said Brilliance works good. So I went and got graphite black...it runs. Not every time though, but it's really frustrating when it does because it ruins what I'm coloring. If it's something where I am coloring over the ink it runs a lot, but if I'm not actually going over it, it's usually okay. I really don't want to have to emboss every time. I'd prefer something I didn't even have to heat set, lol.

Oh, yeah and what about the colorless blender? I've been reading about what a must have it is, so maybe I'm using it wrong, because I don't like it. Just about everytime I've used it, it made my image look horrible! Just a big ugly discolored washed out spot. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Emily, I can only recommend that you try Gina K Designs new Pure Luxury lines <both 80 lb and 120 lb options> The 120 lb does not even bleed through. I have tried this CS with any number of mediums and so far have been exceptionally impressed. This is just my findings but I urge you to at least give it a try!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Memento Tuxedo Black ink with the Georgia Pacific and have had no problem. I have also used the #110 cardstock from Staples with no bleeding as long as I use the Memento ink. Didn't have any luck when I used Ranger Pitch Black or India Ink Black. These were suggested somewhere as compatible with Copics. I like the Memento black so much that I got a reinker and 2 other ink pads-Rich Cocoa & Bamboo Leaves. Don't know what to say about the problem you are having. Good luck finding something that works for you because the Copic pens are really nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Crafter, I use Stazon when I use Copics and have no problem at all...but the Gina K Designs 120 lb is the first cardstock I have found that the Copics do not bleed through to the backside even on one layer cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Hi Emily!
I use SU and memento ink. I don't mind the PTI paper, but like you, I think it takes too much ink! As for the colorless blender, it removes ink. It doesn't blend ink at all, so I don't know why it's called a blender. Btw, I am in the process of switching from ciaos to sketches, so I have a bunch of ciaos if anyone is interested in them. They are on my blog, link in siggy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCEmilyView Post
I just got some Copic markers recently (it's all your fault..darn enablers ;)), and I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I love the markers, but I'm not really having such great luck with ink or paper that works with them.

Can you recommend cardstock? I can't seem to find one I like. Georgia Pacific was my favorite at first, but ink runs out of the lines when I'm shading close to them. It's a pain to have to color leaving a gap away from lines so that the ink can run over there instead of out of the lines. SU works okay, but the markers don't blend as well. PTI just takes too long to saturate, and in the process, it's probably using twice as much ink and I am not looking forward to buying refills for these things, lol so I'm hoping to make this ink last as long as possible ;). I can't think of any other paper to try though. Is there something else aside from these that you've had luck with?

Also, what kind of ink are you using? I started with Palette, but it runs. It looks like a lot of people have good results with it, but it even runs when I heat set it. I searched on SCS and on google for what kind of ink to use with Copics, and a lot of people said Brilliance works good. So I went and got graphite black...it runs. Not every time though, but it's really frustrating when it does because it ruins what I'm coloring. If it's something where I am coloring over the ink it runs a lot, but if I'm not actually going over it, it's usually okay. I really don't want to have to emboss every time. I'd prefer something I didn't even have to heat set, lol.

Oh, yeah and what about the colorless blender? I've been reading about what a must have it is, so maybe I'm using it wrong, because I don't like it. Just about everytime I've used it, it made my image look horrible! Just a big ugly discolored washed out spot. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance .
I have the same issues as you do, although the Memento ink does work fine if you don't color over it too much (if you have a more detailed stamp with shading it might bleed a little). To me the best results have been with embossing the image first.
I also have the bleeding past the outlines if I do any amount of shading and coloring besides just a quick once over, as if I was just coloring with a regular marker. I have not found a paper that works well, yet, but I haven't ordered the PTI or Neenah yet. I'm hoping there's something that works that is available more locally, so I am not paying exorbitant shipping just for one pack of paper...

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

(I use Memento tuxedo black on Neenah.) I wonder if your problem could be tied to using the colorless blender. That is the weirdest thing to get used to! We have been accustomed to a "blender" being used to mix together colors. This "blender" (which shouldn't be called that) is for lightening, fading, removing, moving color. When it gets too far into an image border, the color overflows. You might want to avoid it, for the time being,and see if the results improve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

This site may be of interest regarding the Pure Luxury paper...it sold me for sure...sorry but I could not get a quick link...just copy and paste

http://confessionsofaribbonaddict.bl...k-wowzers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

oh it did work....duhhhh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #10  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks for pointing out my post. I hope you read it. It sold ME on the paper and I already had it! LOL

I too am not liking seeing my expensive marker ink soak into PTI CS, yet I was not willing to switch to a flmisy card stock. I have had my markers for less than 6 months and have about 6 DRY markers that I now need to go buy refills for! Gina K PL offers the best of both worlds:

heavy weight
smooth
accepts Copic ink well
still can achieve blending
does not bleed through to the back

I started with one pack of 120 lb and just ordered 3 more the other day. I am REALLY happy with it.

I use Memento black. While it is not as CRISP as Stazon or Palette, it does not run unless you color EXCESSIVELY. It is what I use now for Copic coloring 99% of the time. It does not need to be heat set and dries very quickly.

Like others have said, the blender is not to blend. The blender is like a bleach pen. I used it on the belly of my Flopsey in the most recent card I uploaded in my gallery if you want to see what I mean. What I do is go over the image once, then see what it looks like and continue until I have faded the color the amount that I want. This is more to achieve texture and shading. KWIM?

On the same Flopsey card in my gallery, I used the Gina K PL 120lb and colored with Copic markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jody, not only did I read your post but I was a bit hestitant to completely take it as gospel...but I tried the Gina K Pure Luxury and everything you said was absolutely true...not only is it worthy of your compliments re. Copics but for other mediums as well. Allow me to share that I do enjoy your blog immensely...for ideas, inspiration, and I kinda like ribbon also...Have a great holiday season...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I use staz on ink when stamping and watercolor paper (110-140lb). I also have had good luck with Paper Company cardstock. But since I'm pretty new to Copics I've decided to stick with watercolor paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

You ladies are awesome! Thank you all so much! I'll give your suggestions a try, and most likely order some Gina K paper . That looks like exactly what I need!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:17 AM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacque3125View Post
Jody, not only did I read your post but I was a bit hestitant to completely take it as gospel...but I tried the Gina K Pure Luxury and everything you said was absolutely true...not only is it worthy of your compliments re. Copics but for other mediums as well. Allow me to share that I do enjoy your blog immensely...for ideas, inspiration, and I kinda like ribbon also...Have a great holiday season...
I know what you mean. I had seen it on someone's blog (Cammie), but needed to try it for myself too. LOL I understand your hesitation. LOL

Thank you so much for reading my blog. Your kind comment just made my morning! :mrgreen:

Happy Holidays to you too! Hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Everyone else covered everything well...but I would like to add a simple thing about the Colorless Blender.

It is for COLORLESS blending...blending a color into NO color...fading out...as others mentioned...removing color.

But I have seen a few people say it shouldn't be named what it is, however it truly is a COLORLESS blender. By no means a color blender.

Oh and I also use Memento Ink on PTI, however I have had luck with being very careful using SU Classic Ink and SU CS, I just don't like how flimsy the image is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use GP white mostly, use others from time to time but I have tons of GP white...and I have used a variety of inks from Memento to Adirondack and even Brilliance. I have the best luck with the first two.

But even though all the tutorials say SOAK IT!!! you don't ALWAYS have to soak the paper, just color it until it looks good to you. And you can shade without laying down a ton of color...just take the lighter color you've chosen and touch the tip to the darker shade color first...before you color the lighter color. I find this helps tremendously with the bleeding issue as I haven't gone over the same area 15 million times.

Recently I have been trying out embossing the image with clear superfine detail powder before coloring and there is absolutely no bleed whatsoever with it. I probably won't emboss all my images like that, but I was really surprised at the ease of coloring and blending with my markers when I emboss.

Have fun and keep trying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I haven't read any of the responses that you've gotten so far and I sympathize with your frustration. I personally use Papertrey white and I love it. I've used Brilliance a few times but mainly use Staz-On black. You have to let it dry for a few seconds or just blow on it and set it aside. I use the colorless blender to fix mistakes outside of the lines when I mess up and lightly dab in stages because sometimes it will make it worse if you overdo it. I do have a difficult time using the lighter colors, i.e., fleshy colors, yellow, skin, light pink, light anything, etc. with the 2 brand inks I've mentioned above. I always have a running problem so I'm just real careful and again, color those in stages. I hope this helps a little bit.

I've watched some great videos on You Tube about Copic marker blending and usage and Marianne Walker is an expert in Copics. There are also many other talented and certified ladies that are members of SCS that I'm sure have responded before me sharing with you their expertise. Good luck and be assured that purchasing and investing in Copic markers isn't a mistake. There's just a learning curve and frustration. Have a great day.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I use GP and Memento ink. I've noticed some smearing of color if I do alot of blending, espcially with lighter colors, so I go carefully with them.

To avoid bleeding color over your line, push the ink away from the line when you are blending. That way the color bleeds into the colored image instead of outside of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynnView Post
Thanks for pointing out my post. I hope you read it. It sold ME on the paper and I already had it! LOL

I too am not liking seeing my expensive marker ink soak into PTI CS, yet I was not willing to switch to a flmisy card stock. I have had my markers for less than 6 months and have about 6 DRY markers that I now need to go buy refills for! Gina K PL offers the best of both worlds:

heavy weight
smooth
accepts Copic ink well
still can achieve blending
does not bleed through to the back

I started with one pack of 120 lb and just ordered 3 more the other day. I am REALLY happy with it.

I use Memento black. While it is not as CRISP as Stazon or Palette, it does not run unless you color EXCESSIVELY. It is what I use now for Copic coloring 99% of the time. It does not need to be heat set and dries very quickly.

Like others have said, the blender is not to blend. The blender is like a bleach pen. I used it on the belly of my Flopsey in the most recent card I uploaded in my gallery if you want to see what I mean. What I do is go over the image once, then see what it looks like and continue until I have faded the color the amount that I want. This is more to achieve texture and shading. KWIM?

On the same Flopsey card in my gallery, I used the Gina K PL 120lb and colored with Copic markers.
I've been reading the tutorials on copics because I want to purchase them and some say it's supposed to bleed to the back, that's how you know if you are doing it right? Did I misinterpret?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieQ4417View Post
I've been reading the tutorials on copics because I want to purchase them and some say it's supposed to bleed to the back, that's how you know if you are doing it right? Did I misinterpret?
I thought that when I first used my Copics as well because of all the things I had read and heard. I have reconsidered that since basically the same results can be achieved using a paper that does not act like a sponge soaking up all my precious Copic ink. LOL Did you read my review and look at the pictures?

I think you should use whatever you are most comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

I did not know about the Gina K white cardstock, I will have to check that out.

I have had the best luck with SU Whisper White cardstock. It does bleed through to the back sometimes, but I don't prefer the GP because it is not a clean white. Almost has a gray tint to it if you hold it up to a piece of Whisper White.

As for ink, I have had good results with Adirondack black ink, heat set. It does not run for me.

Something else I do once in a while is use SU black craft ink, then heat emboss with clear embossing powder. It is a little time consuming, but I think looks really professional in the end. It's also easier to color inside the lines that way.

I mostly use my blender pen to erase mistakes. I took a Copic class last March and this is one of the things they taught us. If you color outside the lines a little bit, just use your blender pen to erase the color. It takes a bit of blending, but it will usually erase.

That's my 2 cents!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I thought that when I first used my Copics as well because of all the things I had read and heard. I have reconsidered that since basically the same results can be achieved using a paper that does not act like a sponge soaking up all my precious Copic ink. LOL Did you read my review and look at the pictures?

I think you should use whatever you are most comfortable with.
I read your post above and looked at the flopsy pic? Is that what you mean? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieQ4417View Post
I read your post above and looked at the flopsy pic? Is that what you mean? Thanks for the help.
The Flopsey just shows that you can blend with them.

I was referring to my comparison post HERE.

And just so you all know, I don't represent EITHER of these companies, so my comparison was done impartially. LOL I love Papertrey and own lots of their paper and stamps. I do recommend their more porous paper for watercoloring, coloring with reinkers as well as other things. LOL I also love Gina K. Her new, smooth paper happens to be my favorite for Copics now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Okay, one more thing... LOL

I read Marianne's blog (Master of Copic coloring) and she has this to say:

*Note: Super thick stamping papers like PaperTrey Ink or the new Gina K. paper is so thick that it might not be totally soaked through to the back. This is OK. Practice on thinnner paper and look at the backside until you get a feel for how it should look on the front. Then, color just as evenly on the thick papers. Although I say the backside should be smooth, the front side is most important.

It's on THIS post if you want to read the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Jody...thanks for the comparison...I just read your blog on this...

I just have one question...in theory it looks like if more ink is left on the surface of the paper, it would blend more smoothly and be less likely to leave streaks. Do you find this to be true??

I am using PTI, and when I touch the marker down it soaks right in so fast I have to do a lot of coloring to blend without lines...so maybe I need to try this Gina K stuff!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
Jody...thanks for the comparison...I just read your blog on this...

I just have one question...in theory it looks like if more ink is left on the surface of the paper, it would blend more smoothly and be less likely to leave streaks. Do you find this to be true??

I am using PTI, and when I touch the marker down it soaks right in so fast I have to do a lot of coloring to blend without lines...so maybe I need to try this Gina K stuff!!

Thanks!
Yes, the color stays more on top of the paper. That being said, you cannot blend TOO much or there is too much ink on the paper KWIM? Yes, you get your first coat faster since it's not soaking in and yes, blending is faster and a little more "natural" since the inks kinda meld quicker. Make sense?

It does leave less streaks since you aren't have to soak a thick piece of paper to get an even result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Yes, the color stays more on top of the paper. That being said, you cannot blend TOO much or there is too much ink on the paper KWIM? Yes, you get your first coat faster since it's not soaking in and yes, blending is faster and a little more "natural" since the inks kinda meld quicker. Make sense?

It does leave less streaks since you aren't have to soak a thick piece of paper to get an even result.
Thank you!

And yet another thread costs me money.... :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
Thank you!

And yet another thread costs me money.... :rolleyes:
Sorry. :( LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

A Muse has a brand new black dye ink pad that was specially formulated to work with alcohol inks. Marianne used them in a recent post so you can see the results there. No smearing. Yay! And, there is a huge re-inker available.

my blog: ::::::::::::::::www.amusenews.typepad.com::::::::::::::::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Jenrn... where did you find a Copic's class??? I am soooooo wanting to buy these markers but OMG the cost!! I am sure I will but I'd really like some input as to why/if they are better than SU markers??? I have only used SU for about 3 years now but... I certainly don't like the overlay of colors (streaks) you get when you are coloring in. Can someone explain to me why I KNOW I'll end up buying these darn Copics!!!???? LOL

My StampinUp Site
My Blog: My Studio
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take;
but by the moments that take your breath away."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

I use a matte coate paper with momento ink. i don't color with the copics direct to the paper. I use a palette. I color on the palette and pick up the color with the blender pen. then apply it to the image. the more deeper the color the more times i pick up the color off the palette. i use very little ink and it doesn't soak into the paper. i can control the shading that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

All the best information is on this blog.

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/ Marianne is a copic instructor for Copic and in the first posts to her blog in June she covers the subject of the 'right' paper for copics. Her blog entries on how to use them are the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

With doing a ton of trial and error....I have concluded that what works for me is Memento ink and Simply Smooth Card Stock by Prism.....it is thinner so you won't have all your marker ink sucked up and it is soooo nice to stamp on. This is what I use with all the Thomas Kinkades that I color. In speaking to Marianne about paper as well, this is a "go to" for her as well....

I get mine at Cornish Heritage Farms.....cuz well....it's very convenient (smiles).
Here's the link:
http://www.cornishheritagefarms.com/...oducts_id/7757
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

If your local stamp store offers classes on Copics--take one. I was able to do that this summer and it helped so much. There is so much to be said about doing it while with someone knowledgeable. The colorless blender pen is amazing once you understand how to work it. It can even erase boo boos made days ago. It is amazing! Ask at your local stamp store about a class and you will love love love these pens and all they can do (except you won't love the way they deplete your wallet ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes