Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help, please, with nestabilities in BigShot

After waiting almost two years, I have finally purchased my first set of nestabilities (I used a 50% off coupon for our Joann's which just NOW started carrying the nestabilities). My question is this: what sandwich recipe do I use? I have watched 2-3 tutorials on You Tube, and they are all different! One uses two Bigshot cutting pads on top of each other, along with the platform. another uses the platform and a cutting mat under the nestabilitie, and one on top of it. Another uses only one cutting mat and a bunch of shims.

I don't own the tan, soft pads from Spellbinders (or whatever). I DO have the black rubber-type crease pad from Sizzix and the black, firm mat (kind of like a texture plate, but without texture) also from Sizzix, along with the Sizzix platform and two cutting mats.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me if I still have to buy the tan cutting mats, or can I use the crease pad I have? Also, what is the best sandwiches for both cutting and embossing with the nestabilities? I don't want to ruin my machine.

I know there is a Sticky forum on the Bigshot here, but there are over 2,000 postings and I just don't have the time and energy to plow through them all.

Thanks so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To cut: platform
die
card stock
both cutting plates

To emboss: platform
card stock (still in die)
I use two spellbinder tan pads but use your one Sizzix and then shim with card stock until you get a fairly tight run through
one cutting plate

I find that I have to use a doubled piece of card stock with my two pads to get a good emboss but I hear that it can vary by machines.

I always use the same plate against my die and then the other one stays good without any cuts and scatches, that is the one I use to emboss with.

Hope this helps. I am sure you will love your Bigshot. This is my very favorite thing that I have ever purchased for my stamp room.

Patti P.

Last edited by Clayshooter; 10-13-2011 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Hit enter before finishing my post
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks, Clayshooter! Is my Sizzix crease pad (rubber pad) likely to get cut up in this process? If so, I wonder if I would be better off buying the Spellbinder tan pads. Any idea which is cheaper, the Sizzex crease pad or the Spellbinder tan pads?

Does anyone else have any other nestabilities with Bigshot tips? My first set is the large deckled rectangles. Which do you think should be next--ovals or squares?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,943 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayshooterView Post
I always use the same plate against my die and then the other one stays good without any cuts and scatches, that is the one I use to emboss with.

Patti P.
This is a great idea....thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Don't know if this counts as a "tip", but I find it difficult to get a clean cut if I use heavy weight paper like from PaperTrey or GinaK's 120 lb. The nestabilities are such a thin die that going through the heavier paper seems to be a problem.

I have not been brave enough to add a shim of card stock to get a tighter fit, I just make sure to use my 80lb weight card stock for nestabilities.

As for what shape to buy next, since you have rectangles you might want to go with ovals for variety sake. Or, you could buy a smaller or larger size of regular rectangles to provide layering options with your deckled edge ones. It's a personal preference really. I started with ovals and circles and added in the scalloped edged same shapes to provide layering. Then bought one or two label sets that coordinated with specific stamps.

Enjoy! I completely LOVE my Big Shot!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Cobby,

Thanks for the "heads up" on the paper. The only heavier paper I have is from SU, but I will definitely keep your warning in mind.

Thanks, too, for the suggestion about going with an oval or circle for variety. I'm going to try my first nesties first thing tomorrow morning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2011, 02:40 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry, just saw your comment about the pad. No the pad doesn't get cut up when you do the embossing. You say you have the crease pad and hard pad....do you have some of the texture pads. That will be a different formula. Just be sure and look at your menus on your multi platform that came with your bigshot and you will see the correct layering formulas.

I have used 110lb weight in mine and don't seem to have any problems. If you ever lift your cutting plate and look at your die and it doesn't seem to be cut completely through, just lay it all back on and run through again. With some of the very intricate dies (fleur de lis and the new Memory Box ones) I will run through 2, 3 or even 4 times back and forth and the same with the embossing to get a crisp look. Just don't let it go completely through the machine, back it back up and then pass through again.

Hope this helps and enjoy, you will love this. I agree with the others, what ever shape speaks to you. I started with some of the basics and then the Labels. 4 was my first one and it is still a favorite. Here is a link to a daily deal site, if you sign up, you will get an email with their deal of the day. I have ordered a few times when they have one with Spellbinders dies. ScrapAce your home for paperCrafting Deals

Have a great day, Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Patti,

Thanks for the reassurance that my crease pad will not be cut up. I'm sure once I take the plunge and actually do it, I will wonder why I was so worried about using the nesties. For now I will only be using my new rectangles, so shouldn't have to worry about small, intricate pieces not cutting.

Thanks for the tip about ScrapAce. I will check out the site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

You've gotten some great tips -- don't forget that you can search any forum (including the Stickies) to narrow down your searches. It makes it less overwhelming.

Have a great time with your Nestabilities -- I'm a big fan of the Labels sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I did it! I used my new nesties today. Worked great! I decided to follow recipes found on the BigShot platform. I used the tab two recipe for thin wafer die cuts to do the cutting, and the tab 1 recipe for using a brass stencil for the embossing. Worked like a charm. Our local Joann's is just about sold out of nesties, so I will have to wait for them to re-stock and then wait for another 50% off coupon...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheronView Post
I did it! I used my new nesties today. Worked great! I decided to follow recipes found on the BigShot platform. I used the tab two recipe for thin wafer die cuts to do the cutting, and the tab 1 recipe for using a brass stencil for the embossing. Worked like a charm. Our local Joann's is just about sold out of nesties, so I will have to wait for them to re-stock and then wait for another 50% off coupon...
Enjoy the sweet taste of success!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just subbing for more of your good tips I have a CB but a friend of mine has a big shot so I'm going to try and lead her in the right direction to get the most out of her machine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Great tips. Thanks.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't had the chance to use my Big Shot yet, but I did find this video that quickly (very quickly) shows how to use a variety of die brands in a Big Shot: Using a Sizzix Big Shot with other brands of dies! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks, Melissa59!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayshooterView Post
To cut: platform
die
card stock
both cutting plates

To emboss: platform
card stock (still in die)
I use two spellbinder tan pads but use your one Sizzix and then shim with card stock until you get a fairly tight run through
one cutting plate
I find that I have to use a doubled piece of card stock with my two pads to get a good emboss but I hear that it can vary by machines.

Hope this helps. I am sure you will love your Bigshot. This is my very favorite thing that I have ever purchased for my stamp room.

Patti P.
Doesn't this sandwich make marks or indentations on the platform? I haven't used my nesties because I'm afraid of ruining the platform. It is the same sandwich Spellbinders says to use but I'm scared to use it...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Your die should be facing up away from the platform....you will get cut marks on the first plate (that is why I always use the same one to place first against the die and paper) and my second plate is clear with no cut marks ( I use this one when I am embossing). You will get lots of milage out of the plate with the cut marks, but when you feel like it has done it due, I will replace it with a new one. I use my Big Shot almost daily and several times and have only had to replace it once in a year and a half. It was still working but I just felt like it was time to retire it, lol.
Enjoy your Big Shot, it is my very favorite tool. I just follow the recipes on the platform and it works great!
hugs, Patti
Reply With Quote Likes