Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2005, 07:58 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Craft ink pads vs. SU Classic ink pads

Okay- someone needs to explain this to me...what exactly is the difference between classic ink pads as opposed to the craft ink pads? When is it appropriate to use each one?

Thanks for your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:10 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Classic Pads are a dye based ink, and are used for making cards, watercoloring It drys almost instantly. Craft Pads are a pigment ink. Pigment ink is very thick and takes awhile to dry unless you heat set it. Craft ink will show up on dark paper. I used it to put yellow chicks on a red card. You can use Craft ink with clear embossing powder to emboss (instead of getting colored embossing powder) I have heard that it is archivally safe. I use my classic pads way more than my craft. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:25 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Can craft ink pads be used in scrapbooking? what are the said "rules" with embossing powder, etc?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:39 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxanne
Can craft ink pads be used in scrapbooking? what are the said "rules" with embossing powder, etc?
Craft inks are the preferred ones for scrapbooking because they are fade-resistant. This isn't too much of an issue if you rarely pull your books out to look at them or don't use pastel colors much, but pages and cards done with Soft Subtles classic inks have been known to fade away.

You cannot emboss with classic inks unless you FIRST stamp into the VersaMark pad, because the ink will not stay wet long enough for the EP to stick to it.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:40 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I use Classic Pads if I want something to dry fast. - The Craft pads are pigmented ink so they tend to stay "Sticky" longer. I use my Craft pads for Clear Embossing with them. Since I found out about this its now my favorite thing to do. Clear Emboss powder and colored Craft pads is embossing in any color you want. Its absolutely great. I don't think I would personally use craft in scrapbooking cause it would stay sticky and not dry fast enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Craft pads can be sticky, goopy, and messy. You have to be careful with them, don't smoosh your stamp onto the surface like you could a Classic pad--they will get saturated with ink (and it's impossible to get it out of the crevices without a toothbrush). The Classic pads have a regular pad surface, fairly firm with a fabric top. The Craft pads are more sponge-like. I don't really care for the Craft pads because they are so messy and take so long to dry, although I do keep a white and vanilla around since they are the most versatile. I would suggest you keep to the Classic unless you have a specific project in mind. Something to remember, if you're stamping on vellum with Craft ink you HAVE to emboss it. It won't ever dry.
Reply With Quote Likes