Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #1  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Stazon - Hints/Warnings?

I bought some Stazon because I have some projects I wanted to do on glass/plastic, etc. However, I'm thought I read something here about stazon not being appropriate for use with certain things ..... maybe clear stamps???? So I'm looking for info about how best to use Stazon and how best to clean up. Is there a way to prevent them from staining your stamps?

I didn't subscribe to the thread I found once upon a time because I wasn't planning to buy/use them at that time. Now when I search there are so many hits, but none are what I am remember (or think I remember, anyway).

TIA!

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yikes...I never thought about there being a problem using StazOn with the clear polymer stamps, but it is, after all, a SOLVENT ink, so I guess that makes sense ;) As far as I've seen, you're pretty much always going to stain your stamps a little bit with the StazOn...it's just so 'strong'. Using the StazOn cleaner will definitely help, but I don't know that you'll ever have your rubber coming out looking like new (of course, I'm not fanatical about my stamps not getting stained, so maybe I'm not the best to ask!! lol) The way I see it, if my stamps are stained, DH can't accuse me of not using my stamps, right? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 09:44 PM   #3  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I too have heard it is best not to use Stazon with polymer stamps... Again, it is solvent ink and not the best for polymer stamps. I am not sure - some one suggested using brilliance inks - which is a pigment ink - but I would think you would have to emboss it to prevent the stamped image from running - and to dry the pigment ink. Versa mark might be okay - not sure. A lot of help I am. I don't think stazon will disolve your clear stamps right away or anything - I would suspect that they wouldn't last as long though.

Not sure if I am much help at all. I hope someone knows more than me!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 11:05 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

ok, finally found the post-it that I wrote my coaster how-to notes on (I've used Stazon before for coasters, a-la the project tutorial, but liked this one for the extra color possibilities) I got his off of another thread regarding how-to for tile coasters...might be a good one to look up ;)

you can color your images (or stamp the whole thing!) with craft ink, then heat-set in the oven for 20-35 minutes at 250F
Once cooled, seal with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Matte Clear (*the poster of this technique said to skip Krylon, but I'm not sure why)

HTH!

Last edited by mybelle101; 09-22-2007 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: added note re:sealant
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 04:39 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybelle101View Post
Once cooled, seal with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Matte Clear (*the poster of this technique said to skip Krylon, but I'm not sure why)
when you seal the coaster it looses it's natural absorbancy...so if you want to use it as a coaster for say a cold drink...as the glass sweats the water will just roll right off the coaster instead of being absorbed...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 04:44 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I've used Staz On with my clear stamps, and I've had no problems. I just make sure that I clean them with Staz On cleaner, and then rinse them with water. Like a previous poster said, though, Staz On will stain any stamps. I know that some people are able to get it off, but I can't seem to do that. It really doesn't bother me, because to me, a stained stamp is a loved stamp. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 05:51 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

My understanding is that it's not a problem to use the Staz-On ink or cleaner with the clear stamps (although it will stain them, just like it stains rubber) BUT do not get the cleaner on your acrylic blocks. The cleaner will damage the acrylic blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I have issues with StazOn. I get it everywhere. My only warning would be just to be careful with it.
I set my arm right on top of my black pad and had a perfect rectangle for a few days until I could go get the StazOn cleaner. :oops:

But other than that, I have used it with clear stamps with no problems. Just some staining. And that is only on the clear ones. StazOn always comes off my rubber stamps no problem with the cleaner.

Danielle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
My understanding is that it's not a problem to use the Staz-On ink or cleaner with the clear stamps (although it will stain them, just like it stains rubber) BUT do not get the cleaner on your acrylic blocks. The cleaner will damage the acrylic blocks.
Nope. The cleaner hasn't damaged those, either. Go figure! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

OK, so I'm a bit confused .... IS it ok to use Stazon with my clear acrylic stamps? Or NOT?

I've refrained from using Stazon with my clear stamps because I thought it would harm them.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
OK, so I'm a bit confused .... IS it ok to use Stazon with my clear acrylic stamps? Or NOT?

I've refrained from using Stazon with my clear stamps because I thought it would harm them.

Thanks!
I'd love a straight answer to this question, too! I checked Stazon website and it said nothing (that I could find) about not using it on clear stamps. I know I've read in magazines and on threads here not to use it on clear stamps because it will damage them--but not one explanation as to why or how this damage might occur. What's the truth? Any chemistry experts out there got the answer on this one? I love my clear stamps but I also love my Stazon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I've used Stazon with no problems on my clear stamps, unmounted rubber stamps on acrylic blocks, and normal wood mounted rubber stamps. At least...so far!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

The stamp cleaner that TAC carries will get stazon off your stamps - even better than the official stazon cleaner! I was surprised because I have used about every cleaner out there - and this one is by far superior to any other I have used.

I think that when using stazon with clear stamps - it makes them more tacky - you know how sticky they can be? I am sure it depends on the company - but I know I stamped with one once and it actually stuck so much to my paper that it tore it when i tried to pull the stamp off. Because the Stazon ink is solvent ink - it will eat at your polymer. Again though 0 it will depend on the formula that the manufacturer is using so it will be different from company to company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampezView Post
The stamp cleaner that TAC carries will get stazon off your stamps - even better than the official stazon cleaner! I was surprised because I have used about every cleaner out there - and this one is by far superior to any other I have used.

I think that when using stazon with clear stamps - it makes them more tacky - you know how sticky they can be? I am sure it depends on the company - but I know I stamped with one once and it actually stuck so much to my paper that it tore it when i tried to pull the stamp off. Because the Stazon ink is solvent ink - it will eat at your polymer. Again though 0 it will depend on the formula that the manufacturer is using so it will be different from company to company.
Think you're right it's the solvent in the ink and the cleaner that will eventually damage the polymer stamps.
I don't think you will notice it after using it several times, but in the long run I'ld rather not use it on my favorite polymer stamps!
Vronica;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I think the stazon-acrylic stamp thing might differ for different acrylic stamps. I have some that I have used repeatedly with stazon and they stamp well and behave great, nothing wrong with them. I have others that kindasorta now are garbage after using stazon on them (this is before I ever heard of NOT to do that) and they get icky sticky and soft. Never have used the cleaner on them as I don't mind my stamps being stained.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #16  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
I'd love a straight answer to this question, too! I checked Stazon website and it said nothing (that I could find) about not using it on clear stamps. I know I've read in magazines and on threads here not to use it on clear stamps because it will damage them--but not one explanation as to why or how this damage might occur. What's the truth? Any chemistry experts out there got the answer on this one? I love my clear stamps but I also love my Stazon!
I did a little research:
I was so excited when I emailed PaperTrey because Nichole Heady herself answered my email (I feel so honored). She said while she doesn't have any scientific information to back it up, she has some clear sets (over 5 years old) that she frequently uses with StazOn and never had any problems with them. They still work as well as the day she purchased them.

Next I called Tsukineko and asked to talk to someone about stazon. The lady I spoke with said they get lots of calls about this (and need to update their website). She said as long as you clean your stamps and blocks after using them (don't put them away with the either the stazon or the stazon cleaner on them) it should not hurt them. In essence, yes, any solvent ink/cleaner (not just Stazon) could damage the acrylic/polymer/clear stamps if you left it on the stamps for an extended period of time.

Her prescription:
1. Clean your stamps with the stazon cleaner and a toothbrush to make sure you get into all the nooks and crannies.
2. RINSE them with water and pat dry with a paper towel (because the cleaner can damage the stamps/blocks if left on).

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

cool! thanks for doing all that research for us!
I had done exactly that (stamp, clean, rinse) with some of my clear stamps and they are JUST fine, no problem whatsoever, but then I have others who did develop problems with the same procedure. I still think not all clear stamps are the same, but I even got some from one company that are great, some others from the same company that are not so great. Maybe there is still some developing to do with the clear stamp business
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowersView Post
I did a little research:
I was so excited when I emailed PaperTrey because Nichole Heady herself answered my email (I feel so honored). She said while she doesn't have any scientific information to back it up, she has some clear sets (over 5 years old) that she frequently uses with StazOn and never had any problems with them. They still work as well as the day she purchased them.

Next I called Tsukineko and asked to talk to someone about stazon. The lady I spoke with said they get lots of calls about this (and need to update their website). She said as long as you clean your stamps and blocks after using them (don't put them away with the either the stazon or the stazon cleaner on them) it should not hurt them. In essence, yes, any solvent ink/cleaner (not just Stazon) could damage the acrylic/polymer/clear stamps if you left it on the stamps for an extended period of time.

Her prescription:
1. Clean your stamps with the stazon cleaner and a toothbrush to make sure you get into all the nooks and crannies.
2. RINSE them with water and pat dry with a paper towel (because the cleaner can damage the stamps/blocks if left on).

Thanks for the great information! I will add another tip that I read on a blog or somewhere (I can't remember where). They suggested wrapping your block in a little bit of clear plastic to keep the ink off the block. I thought this was a great idea. I know CTMH suggests taking the stamp off the block before cleaning and not using the cleaner on the blocks because it can cause hairline cracks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

I am looking at this thread because I just had this problem today. I bought a beautiful set from Crafty Secrets and used Stazon because the poster on SCS used it. The image did not turn out very well, so I decided to clean it with my new stazon cleaner from SU. Well, it ate the image away!!! I wrote to Crafty Secrets to see what I should have done. Also, I hope they can let me buy that one stamp. I hate to buy the whole set again. I feel terrible.
Reply With Quote Likes