Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   SU! Circle cutter vs. Martha Stewart circle cutter (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/su-circle-cutter-vs-martha-stewart-circle-cutter-415555/)

Lil1221 01-29-2009 01:50 PM

SU! Circle cutter vs. Martha Stewart circle cutter

Anyone have the 2?
I am wondering what circle cutter to get. Both seem like they will cut small and big sizes.
Was hoping someone had both of them and what was the better choice.
Thanks.

garkarlon 01-29-2009 02:13 PM

I have the Martha Stewart Circle Cutter, and the EK Success Circle Cutter, which looks idential to the SU one only the EK Success one is pink. I think you're going to find that it's a personal preference kind of thing. I like the Martha Stewart one much better because of it's size. It's not as big and bulky, and much easier to store. Both cut the same, IMHO. Both require that you purchase glass mat in order for them to work the best. Hope this helps!

ilinacrouse 01-29-2009 02:42 PM

I have only the EK success one (SU! is the same), and I like it. I guess before buying if you have a chance to try them both, would be nice. So you can see which one you personally prefer.

scherry 01-29-2009 03:45 PM

I just bought the MS in early Dec. I have an older rotary cut mat for quilting that I leave out on the counter to use to cut the circles. Works great! It is small and easy to store.

wyo.navymom 01-29-2009 03:50 PM

circle cutter

i bought the ms circle cutter a few months ago, and have toyed with it a few times. i love it. i use a self healing mat that i already had on hand. so i dont know if a self healing mat would work better than a glass one.

Lil1221 01-29-2009 04:31 PM

Thank you

guys for all the replies. You have helped me out!!!
The base sells the MS one cheaper than SU! so I think I'll go wiwth that. (o=
Thanks again.

JenMarie 01-29-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garkarlon (Post 12924202)
I have the Martha Stewart Circle Cutter, and the EK Success Circle Cutter, which looks idential to the SU one only the EK Success one is pink. I think you're going to find that it's a personal preference kind of thing. I like the Martha Stewart one much better because of it's size. It's not as big and bulky, and much easier to store. Both cut the same, IMHO. Both require that you purchase glass mat in order for them to work the best. Hope this helps!

Oh so glad to hear about using the glass mat.

I have the MS cutter.
What I hate is that unless you use a large piece of paper, that the circle thing covers and can 'weigh' down....you have to tape it down b/c the blade will drag it around...if that makes sense.

Anyone know of a better way?

Ellibelle 01-29-2009 06:40 PM

Creative memories comparison?

Sorry about the slight hijack, how do these 2 cutters mentioned in the thread compare to the creative memories cutting system? I got mine about 8 years ago, should I invest in a new cutting system?

garkarlon 01-29-2009 07:10 PM

No clue. Sorry I can't help!!

thescrapmaster 01-29-2009 07:37 PM

I have the Martha Stewart one, but it is awkward to cut with it because there is no comfortable place to put your hand to hold the circle cutter down. I have never tried the SU one, but it looks like there is a handle area.

When using my MS cutter, I just use an old self sealing mat, not a glass one. It works just fine.

ashmanra 01-29-2009 08:02 PM

I love the Creative Memories system, but honestly I use Nesties now and they are so much easier for me. I don't think I will give up my CM syste, just yet, though! I think the new SU cutter is going to be easier to use than the CM one from watching it in use on the video tutorials. You can see it in use on www.dawnsstampingthoughts.typepad.com.

ashmanra 01-29-2009 08:03 PM

They do recommend using Dotto or another temp adhesive to keep your paper in place while you cut, especially if you are cutting a ring or a small piece of paper.

Sew It Seams 01-30-2009 03:08 AM

I couldn't afford all the nesties, was unsure of the MS circle cutter, but since I had used the CM system, I bought the CM cutter for ovals and circles and it took me awhile to invest in a glass cutting mat.

It made a world of difference - zip and your done cutting!

I love the CM for scrapbooking, which I'm just getting starting to do.

Good luck on your decision!

geogymnast82 01-30-2009 04:59 AM

For those interested in the EK Success circle cutter (the one like SU's new one but pink), my Target has them clearance priced for $17.48 right now. They have clearance prices on a ton of their scrapbooking/stamping supplies. The regular price for the cutter at Target was something like $24.95 (which is still cheaper than what SU's selling their's for). Just like the other brands, you still have to get the glass cutting mat separately. I didn't see that at Target, but then I didn't look for it either since I'm not in the market for another circle cutter.

gingerbread 01-31-2009 02:08 PM

Who has the glass cutting mat? I have the MS circle cutter but did not see a glass mat available.

Thanks~

Waldsb651 01-31-2009 02:19 PM

Thank you JenMarie, I thought it was just me. I really like the MS cutter because you can cut so many sizes, but I don't like the way you have to use a large sheet of cardstock to do it. I do have the CM cutters (all of them) and love them, but have found sizes they don't cut and I needed. Guess I will just use both of them. :)

gingerbread 02-03-2009 05:11 AM

Aside from SU!, does anyone know if the glass mats are sold at ACM or M's?

thescrapmaster 02-03-2009 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82 (Post 12931597)
For those interested in the EK Success circle cutter (the one like SU's new one but pink), my Target has them clearance priced for $17.48 right now. They have clearance prices on a ton of their scrapbooking/stamping supplies. The regular price for the cutter at Target was something like $24.95 (which is still cheaper than what SU's selling their's for). Just like the other brands, you still have to get the glass cutting mat separately. I didn't see that at Target, but then I didn't look for it either since I'm not in the market for another circle cutter.

TFS! My target didn't have them when I went last week (I always check the scrapbook clearance :mrgreen: ) so they must be gone at mine.

wheat04 02-05-2009 02:54 PM

Mike's has them on sale for 40% off

I bought the EK Success Circle Plus today for 40% off. The glass mat was not on sale, though I was able to use my coupon for it. The cutter was on sale fo $16.79 and the mat (12x9, not 13x13 like SU!), was $7.79 which came to about $26 including tax. About half of what SU! wants before tax and shipping. Of course, this was the pink one, not the black....but just an FYI, enabler alert!
Colleen in Atlanta

ThatGirlThere 02-05-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenMarie (Post 12926160)
Oh so glad to hear about using the glass mat.

I have the MS cutter.
What I hate is that unless you use a large piece of paper, that the circle thing covers and can 'weigh' down....you have to tape it down b/c the blade will drag it around...if that makes sense.

Anyone know of a better way?

That is my one complaint with MS circle cutter also. Other then that is works great.

qoedvc98 02-06-2009 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbread (Post 12980457)
Aside from SU!, does anyone know if the glass mats are sold at ACM or M's?

I got my glass mat at M's - it's made by the folks who make Cutterbee - the name escapes me right now though. I was using a self healing mat for cutting with my MS cutter and while I made it work, it wasn't until I tried a friend's glass mat that I realized the glass mat was the way to go. Can't recall if I've seen the mats at ACM though (definitely not at mine).

sincerelyforyou 02-18-2009 11:52 AM

What about the old fashioned way, using a plate? Are the different cutters really worth the money? I often buy these contraptions, and not use them often enough. I'm on the fence too, but I really have no space to store it, but my I have tons of different sized plates. LOL

BasketOHearts 02-18-2009 02:45 PM

My unsolicited opinion . . .save your money for a couple months and buy a digital cutter. Super easy, perfect circles every time. And it will cut fonts too.

Crafter 4 Life 02-18-2009 03:17 PM

I have the MS circle cutter (like the fact that it has so many sizes of circles it can cut) and use my Coluzzle foam mat to cut on. (Never could get the Coluzzle system to cut nice shapes.) I tried the self healing mat but it didn't work for me. If the piece of c/s that I am cutting is smaller that the outside ring of the MS cutter, I just use the removeable tape to keep my c/s from moving. Works for me-- When I tried using the dotto type of tape, it was strong enough and the c/s moved.

Got my MS circle cutter at Walmart. I think it cost around $15.00. My Michael's was out and I needed it right away.

marlastamps 03-08-2009 09:08 PM

CM Blades

For those of you who still have the CM Custom Cutting System, they have some new blades that have been out for about 1 year that are so much easier to use than the old ones. The blade now swivels as you turn it. They are sold for $5.50 each, red, blue, green or as $16.00 for all 3 together. If anyone needs replacement blades, feel free to pm me.

stampermomof2 03-09-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellibelle (Post 12928458)
Sorry about the slight hijack, how do these 2 cutters mentioned in the thread compare to the creative memories cutting system? I got mine about 8 years ago, should I invest in a new cutting system?

I will be selling my CM cutting system as soon as I get my SU! cutter. The CM one doesn't offer as many circle sizes as the SU! one. I've often wanted to cut a size CM didn't offer.

Also, with CM I usually had to go through several templates and blades before I was happy with the size I wanted. It was a lot of switching. With the SU/EK system you just need to lay the tool down once and you can see right away which circle you want to use. No switching blade size or template.

ThatGirlThere 03-14-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketOHearts (Post 13161785)
My unsolicited opinion . . .save your money for a couple months and buy a digital cutter. Super easy, perfect circles every time. And it will cut fonts too.

Digital Cutter??? Whats a Digital Cutter?? You mean like a Cricut??

buggainok 03-14-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sincerelyforyou (Post 13159849)
What about the old fashioned way, using a plate? Are the different cutters really worth the money? I often buy these contraptions, and not use them often enough. I'm on the fence too, but I really have no space to store it, but my I have tons of different sized plates. LOL

I'm with you for cutting circles with plates! I have the Colluzle but don't usually take the time to get it out and set it up. I just go looking for the right size plate or bowl instead.:)

BasketOHearts 03-14-2009 01:13 PM

A Cricut is a digital cutter, but I was thinking more in terms of Silhouette or a Craft Robo. You can get the old model Silhouette for $99 right now with a $25 download card, which is a great price and not that much more than buying a circle cutter when you consider the font cutting capability. I didn't find it hard to learn, and it doesn't take up much room. I had it for close to a year before needing to replace the blade, and I'm very happy with the Silhouette.