Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glue sticks: do they stick long term?

I have used a couple of brands of glue sticks in the past and really liked them, because it's easy for me with my weak hands to get the glue where needs to go without spilling or smearing it all over! But it felt like the paper only stuck together in the short term and I could peel the pieces apart very easily.

I just read recently that you're supposed to put glue stick on both pieces that you are sticking together. That may have been the problem? :rolleyes:

I know not to use school washable glue sticks but are there any permanent, heavy duty glue sticks? I'd like to use them to assemble card layers (nothing too heavy with embellishments) and also in mixed media. I'd also like to experiment with using them on vellum, which I think might be less noticeable?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 06:16 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I really haven't had very good luck with glue sticks of any kind even Stampin up! I do use them for adding glitter to large areas and for doing the 'dryer sheet' technique but other than that...not so good. But I don't have very good luck with Score Tape (Sookwang) either! Maybe I just got a bad batch but after a while it got shinny and all the pieces fell off the card. So far SU Fast Fuse/Tombow Extreme are the only things that work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Never found a glue stick to stick long term. Liquid glue or atg gun type glue is best. Gee I hope my score tape or sookwang tape wont turn loose! I usually use my tape type of glue with a small dot or 2 of liquid glue just to be sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I've never found a glue stick that worked over the long term, so I'll be following this thread to see if there's one I've missed. If weak hands are the issue, maybe the smaller tape runners would work for you? The AdTech ones I've used held well and were very easy to use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I've never found a glue stick that worked over the long term, so I'll be following this thread to see if there's one I've missed. If weak hands are the issue, maybe the smaller tape runners would work for you? The AdTech ones I've used held well and were very easy to use.
Glad to hear that, Sue, as they are the only ones that I consider affordable! I have the wonderful Tombow Stamp Runner but that thing eats tape refills :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Poppy, check out the UHU Glue Sticks. They are very well rated by art teachers and crafters on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Clea.../dp/B001PMJYAO

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSkyView Post
As a collage artist I've used just about every sticking thing out there. I only recommend one glue stick but they're recently changed it. UHU goes on purple but dries clear is in some of my artist journals for 15 years. All the other glue sticks have failed to hold.

If you still want a wet stick 'em I suggest Golden Extra Heavy Gel Medium. You can use a paint brush, a pallet knife, or best your fingers. If you've got arthritis fine manipulation can be a problem, some days pencils are a problem for me. Just have a wet wipe next to you while you do your gluing to wipe your fingers off. Acrylic mediums are the super hold of the paper art and craft worlds. They do ephemera, plastic, and most everything else.
You know, I never thought about using my gel medium for ephemera! Have followed Jennifer McGuire's advice with Ranger Multi Medium Matte for sequins, but just never thought about applying with a palette knife for dimensional items on my art journal pages. Great tip! And I'm hesitant on the UHU sticks because the reviews don't really comment on long-term stickiness. Would love to know if you ever hear back from the company!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Poppy, check out the UHU Glue Sticks. They are very well rated by art teachers and crafters on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Clea.../dp/B001PMJYAO
Thank you � I read through a lot of those, too, but I don't remember that anyone commented on the long-term stick. Suppose it will be yet another purchase I'll have to make to experiment :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #9  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to see if you can check with Beth Cote about glue sticks. Beth has been making altered books for years and her glue stick of choice used to be UHU. Here's a recent article and maybe you can find contact information; she has lots of experience with glue sticks: Scrapbooking.com -- Article - Altered Books with Beth Cote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

The only glue stick that ever worked for me was the UHU purple but I don't use them anymore as I prefer my ATG, tombow mono, matte medium, crystal effects, and Beacons 3-in-one. Each type of adhesive has benefits depending on the material and what medium I've used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2015, 04:52 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Another vote for UHU. I've used it for covering sketch books with paper, and it's still sticking after 12 years.
Reply With Quote Likes