Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nestability Size Question

Just in case I decide to buy one, I'd like to know the name of the largest rectangle that cuts and embosses. I've looked on a variety of vendors' sites and they list the large rectangle set as being smaller than the small rectangle set. I'm not talking scallop just plain.

I know I could plow through old threads, but ME LAZY. thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Joan, the largest one starts at 2.8" X 3.7 and scaled down 1/4" from there. It is called Classic Rectangle Large and has five dies. Retail price is $24.99

The Classic Rectangle Small starts at 2.6 x 3.4.

I hope that answers your question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tracey, that's what I thought, which has be confused. Am I missing something?

5.5 - 3.7 = 1.8

4.25 - 2.8 = 1.45, so it isn't going to emboss a rectangle exactly inside an A2 card. I'm not dissing the product, I'm just confused. I think I might be misunderstanding something.

Or am I correct?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Tracey, that's what I thought, which has be confused. Am I missing something?

5.5 - 3.7 = 1.8

4.25 - 2.8 = 1.45, so it isn't going to emboss a rectangle exactly inside an A2 card. I'm not dissing the product, I'm just confused. I think I might be misunderstanding something.

Or am I correct?
Joan,
I am confused too. Went to get the rectangle set and did the same math as you and got meself totally confused. My solution? Settled for the oval set this go around (tho I was tempted to copy my HRR and get the circles) and will go back and reread or ask my GF to figure it out.

subscribing

Lynn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Joan,
I see what you mean. If you want the rectangle to match the dimensions of a regular card. It's not going to be precise. I suppose it might be possible to adhere the layer and then shave a hair off the top of the card. Too bad they didn't plan it that way.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

ooops.. I meant too bad they didn't plan it to fit precisely.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Hee, hee - if all else fails talk to the gal who helped come up with these ridiculous sizes - LOL!

OK - here is the skinny according to Ellen. The Classic Rectangle, Small --- Cut sizes range from the largest die - approximately 2 5/8"w x 3 3/8"l to the smallest die - 5/8"w x 13/16"l. The Classic Rectangle, Large --- Cut sizes range from the largest die - approximately 2 7/8"w x 3 3/4"l to the smallest die - 7/8"w x 1 1/8"l. Notice I say approximately because I need that disclaimer in there in case my reading glasses do not serve me well

Now here is where it gets REALLY tricky. Pull out every math skill you have ever learned and you will know how complex it is to graduate circles smaller and keep them precise, moving the scale backwards precisely, so that you get 1/8" borders and nesting capabilities. You start with a card size of 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" - that's what you give the person who is making these babies.

Well lets just say I'm not Newton, Einstein or Leonardo and so my math skills can't touch these guys, but what I can tell you is that it is incredibly complex and we (especially Michael the dude who worked these babies with his mathematical magic) have done our darndest to get these rectangles scaling backwards incrementally so that they will look their best on a card front. Each circle that makes up the shape of the scallop is exactly the same size. We have eight circles on one side and 10 on the other. Well when you shrink the size of these circles and scale them back - guess what - the length and width no longer are going to be the same as the preceding die shape. EGADS - what to do?!? Are people going to notice - yep, are people going to care - yep. But darn it anyways that's math and Leonardo never taught us how to go against the laws of math. So there you have it in a nutshell. A very confusing and somewhat goofy shaped explanation at that. Perhaps with a little sarcasm and hopefully a laugh mixed in due to too much time off my feet and not enough sleep you now have the answer These rectangles are the closest possible thing to nesting perfection that could be achieved with a rectangular scalloped shape. Match those scalloped shapes up with the basic rectangle shapes that are meant to go with it and you have wacky numbers

Can you tell my foot is still hurting - LOL! Hopefully this helps with the confusion of the nesting rectangles. Circles, and ovals fit together precisely as they sequence back. Squares and Rectangles are truly a bugger to work with - LOL! Hopefully we can all get our numbers "squared away" (oh man - really bad joke). I know that you have given me the push to get out my own ruler and measure these babies and get as precise measurements as possible up on my site pronto. I had Katelyn help me being that I have been overwhelmed with life and it appears I had better get underwhelmed and do it myself quick like - LOL!

If you have any other questions please ask away. I will do my best to answer the reasoning behind why things were done the way they were and how we came up with some of the thought processes in trying to work through scenarios that were tough to figure out. I can't give away "trade secrets" but I can try to answer any questions you might have Thanks for hanging in there with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ellen thanks! I think. I just wanted to make sure I understood the size of the largest rectangle and i do now. Hope your foot improves soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 03:50 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Ellen thanks! I think. I just wanted to make sure I understood the size of the largest rectangle and i do now. Hope your foot improves soon.

Ditto!
Reply With Quote Likes