Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scoring 110lb CS Help

Hi! My name is Chloe and I'm new here ... I've already found amazing info!! I was into papercrafting when I was young, and I'm getting back into it. I bought some Neenah Classic Crest 110lb CS after seeing it mentioned in numerous YouTube tutorials. I'm using a Cricut to cut and score A2-sized cards. I can't get the paper to fold without cracking. I'm scoring with the grain... I've run it through the cricut 2-3 times for scoring... I've folded it so the "valley" is on the outside and inside of the card... no matter what it's cracking. :mad: LBVS Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Do I need a separate scoring apparatus? Thanks so much! Looking forward to becoming more involved in this community!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Hi, welcome to the crafting community. I don't post a lot, but I have found so many wonderful suggestions and tips on this site. I use a bone folder for a crisper fold - but sometimes, depending on the cardstock being used, it will still give a little bit of the cracked edge. I have a Martha Stewart score board and sometimes use it to score base cards, a Crafters Companion scoring tool, or even my paper trimmer with a bone folder instead of the cutting blade to make a score line. I'm sure others will give you some suggestions so you don't have to go purchase a lot of tools/toys, especially when getting started with paper crafting. Everyone has a different method for getting fantastic results. Happy Crafting and Welcome Chloe !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to SCS Chole! You'll love it here. Try scoring both sides of the cs. Mine doesn't crack and it folds neatly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,917 Likes on 2,185 Posts

I was going to say exactly what Carla did! I score on both sides. I also fold partially both ways before I do a final burnishing fold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 650 Posts

I run my scoring tool up and down numerous times before folding and then it does not crack.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 12:34 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

The side you score is the outside of the card. I'm not familiar with how a Cricut scores cardstock. I love my ScorPal, not only for scoring the fold line, but for adding other scored lines to your card front for added dimension. Plus I score my cardstock before I cut it, so I only have to score once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 02:21 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have a Cricut, but have always scored my card blanks on a scoring board, and use an embossing stylus for doing it. I use one that's double ended, and use the larger ball first, both sides, then run the smaller ball over it if I've had trouble with that particular cardstock in the past. I've personally never got on well with a bone folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 05:08 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

You can also increase the cardstock weight in your Cricut settings. I bump mine up a little to make sure that when it scores, it scores more deeply than the default settings allow. Try setting it for heavier stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 05:40 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks everyone!! You all jumped on this so quickly - I really appreciate the responses! I think I’m going to try scoring the paper outside of the cricut. It sounds like everyone has more luck that way. I was using the Cardstock+ setting in the cricut. I upped the number of times to 4 and there was less cracking. I’ll try 5 and 6 times, but it’s a bit of hassle with the machine versus manually! Happy Sunday and Happy Crafting to everyone!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 06:11 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with using some sort of scoring platform if possible but also, I use a teflon folder instead of a bone folder and while it doesn't always prevent the cracking, on colored cardstock it does not leave the "burnishing marks".

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Like others here, I use a scoring board (Scor-Pal for me) and a bone folder to crease it. For very heavy CS I may gently score twice rather than one heavy-handed score. For Neenah Classic Crest 110 once is fine but sometimes I score so lightly I do it twice. Enjoy!

Like Diane, I generally use a teflon bone folder for creasing, especially for colored CS but may use a regular (plastic) bone folder for white, depends on which jumps into my hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Great ideas everyone so here is my two cents worth! LOL I don't have a Cricut so I use my scoreboard. For the really heavy CS (Mikes new 110lb) I use a ball end scoring tool and using the largest ball score once..flip it..score again...flip it and make my final score. I find this has broken down the fibers enough to fold it without cracking . Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Welcome to SCS and good question!

I do what the others do-scoreboard. Multi passes.

Colored CS makes me nuts-if that cracks you might see white core. And then I am sanding it and trying to match with a marker...ugh.

Does anyone know if you have Kinkos fold it for you if it cracks? I know people have them cut it. But does anyone have them score it/fold it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you UNCBBALLFAN. Why have I never thought of scoring the entire page before cutting to card size? So clever you are.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
uncbballfan (05-02-2022)
Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Chloe - when you score with your cricut, do you use the scoring tool that you can get for it (looks kind of like a pen)? I use a scoreboard for scoring, but instead of the tool that comes with the scoreboard, I use that cricut tool, and for heavy cardstock, it is like hearing angels sing I have also used an embossing stylus, like Shaz, and still use it for lighter weight cardstock, but for the heavyweight 110 lb stuff, the cricut tool is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 03:57 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the first things I learned when I started making cards is that (for no better way to put it) there's a right side and a wrong side to card stock. Hold a sheet of card stock on one finger and see which way it "bends". The card stock will lay either really flat on your finger or will bend toward the floor. Anyway, your card stock should be creased toward the bending side. I hope that's understandable. Another way to put it is to think of a rainbow. Score the card on the top of the rainbow (valley score will be on the "sky" side; mountain score will be toward the "ground" side). Fold the card stock so the two bottoms meet. I've never had any problems with doing it this way unless I'm using really cheap card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm very much a recycled crafter, so my 'card blanks' are often made with cardstock of quite dubious parentage! If I'm using recycled cardstock, or any cardstock where I'm not sure of its antecedents, I score on what will be the inside, as I find this is where it will crack when folded, if at all. I then fold it as if it were the outside of the card blank, then fold on the outside itself. 99% of the time I get no cracking, even where the coloured finish is a top layer applied to the cardstock - which it often is, when I'm using old packaging as a card blank.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I fold the card in half matching the two corners, hold it down with fingers and bring the thumbs to the center and press upward to the seam almost lightly to be sure you can adjust if needed. Take your fingers and run down the crease line a few times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only use a stylus for scoring the fold. I used to use a bone folder and very often got cracking. Now, using my stylus I score with the small end first then the bigger end and get a perfect fold every time (mountain on the inside)! Oh, and I use a scoreboard to make sure that my line is straight.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Why should the mountain be on the inside?Reading this debate for years, seems like valley on the inside prevailed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same question when I was first told to score one way and then bend the other way. If I remember correctly it has to do with stretching the fibers so they won't crack/break. Scoring lengthens the fibers so they can then bend the other way.... or something like that.

Sometimes you get cardstock that will just crack no matter what. I have wondered if it had been sitting on a shelf somewhere too long and had dried out, don't forget paper is made of wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2018, 06:49 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Stampin Stacy is correct. The scoring stretches and even breaks fibers a bit so that it will fold away from the groove. It does seem counter intuitive, but that is the correct way. I worked in a graphics department in college and that's how we were taught.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default scoring card stock

Thought I would just jump in here with a suggestion.......I used to do alot of dry embossing with Lasting Impression Metal Stencils. They always suggested that you rub your card stock with wax paper before embossing so you have a smooth surface and no cracking. So I started doing this when I score my folds. I use my stylus instead of my bone folder as well and I never have a problem with my card stock cracking any more. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Pls clarify......after scoring, mountain stays topside or folded to inside?Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
Pls clarify......after scoring, mountain stays topside or folded to inside?Thank you
After scoring, mountain is on the inside the scored edge faces out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Inside. While I do it that way, it seemed counter-intuitive at first. : )

Which way do I fold my scored card base?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Amazing I came out confused after the back and forth.Thanks for clarifying. Wonder if I’ll see a difference. I’ve done hundreds and hundreds of cards mountain top side after scoring......Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 06:54 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I used to fold cards mountain-side out. Then I read that was "wrong" here, and I've been folding them mountain-side in. Now I think I'm going to go back to my original way, because my cards don't always meet evenly at the edges when I fold them.

I read that article, and I have to disagree with the author. If the fibers are broken when the cardstock is scored, it shouldn't matter which way you fold it. My cards never popped open or had trouble standing up when I scored them the other way. I'm going to do what works best for me and not worry about whether it's "right" or not. ;)

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 02-23-2018 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I used to fold cards mountain-side out. Then I read that was "wrong" here, and I've been folding them mountain-side in. Now I think I'm going to go back to my original way, because my cards don't always meet evenly at the edges when I fold them.

I read that article, and I have to disagree with the author. If the fibers are broken when the cardstock is scored, it shouldn't matter which way you fold it. My cards never popped open or had trouble standing up when I scored them the other way. I'm going to do what works best for me and not worry about whether it's "right" or not. ;)
You must do what works for you. However, when you score, the valley side is what is broken, therefore will bend on that side better, but if that's not what's best for you, do what is! I have found that the bone folder that came with my score buddy has really worn down (I make a lot of cards!) and is way shorter and a different shape on the pointed end than the slot it fits in. So, I have gone to using a stylus with a metal tip and that really gives me a clean score. I do use the bone folder for creasing the fold which really makes the two ends stay together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

I fold with the valley out and mountain in. But to make sure the edges line up evenly, and I'm pretty sure it's a tip I read here, after scoring ( with embossing stylus) I fold the card without a firm crease, butt the edges up against the edge of the scoreboard, and then burnish the fold with a bone-folder, making sure both edges are fully lined up with the edge of the scoreboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I fold with the valley out and mountain in. But to make sure the edges line up evenly, and I'm pretty sure it's a tip I read here, after scoring ( with embossing stylus) I fold the card without a firm crease, butt the edges up against the edge of the scoreboard, and then burnish the fold with a bone-folder, making sure both edges are fully lined up with the edge of the scoreboard.
Thanks, Sabrina. I do that too. Sometimes the score is significantly off, though, and I wind up re-scoring it when I fold it. I appreciate the suggestion, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Welcome to SCS its a wonderful community!
I dont have a cricut and due to disability i have my husband do all of the scoring for my cards i had no idea there was a right and a wrong side to the cardstock (-except for e.g. mirror board which is white on one side a colour on the other the colour goes on outside of the card so i always get jeff to score on the white side (for e.g. )
So i always score on what would be the inside of the card is that correct??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 01:34 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I think, with regard to the score being 'off' after scoring, this could have more to do with how well the cardstock was originally cut by the manufacturer/supplier, than actual crafters technique. In my experience, it's not unusual for my A4 cardstock to not be perfectly cut- it can be out by a few millimetres/fractions of an inch. So, when you butt up to your own trimmers/scoreboard edges, you will be reflecting that 'offness' in your own cut/score.
Also, for trimmers, a crafter I know recommended not butting to edges of the trimmer, but instead matching to lines marked on the board, as the edges of the trimmer can be off too.
I too fold my card whichever way works best, it does seem to differ for different cardstocks. Like all rules, 'mountain side in' sometimes needs to be ignored!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 05:51 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Agree, I've noticed colored CS occasionally being off after scoring. (I refuse to think it's me, though it probably is most of the time.) But it doesn't happen with Neenah as long as I'm not daydreaming while scoring/folding.

When it happens I cut it straight with my rotary trimmer, card closed since the trimmer can cut a lot of sheets at a time. But it could work open too, using the lines on the trimmer bed. The card is a tiny bit smaller but recipients wouldn't notice - unless it's one of the ace cardmakers here.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

Wow these are all such great replies!! I didn’t realize anyone else had replied, so I’m sorry for not saying thank you sooner. Cbet - yes, I have a cricut stylus for scoring. I will definitely try using that when I get a scoring platform! rpnjn - I’ll try the wax paper idea too. I have a random day off today, so I’m off to experiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by emckView Post
I dont have a cricut and due to disability i have my husband do all of the scoring for my cards i had no idea there was a right and a wrong side to the cardstock (-except for e.g. mirror board which is white on one side a colour on the other the colour goes on outside of the card so i always get jeff to score on the white side (for e.g. )
I think it would be the opposite to have valley out/mountain in. You'd score on the side with color, say red. That score creates a valley in the red side, which you'd have on the outside. The white side with the mountain (the paper that got pushed out when the red side was scored) would be on the inside. Who's on first, right? : )

Kristina Werner shows it better than I can say it. While she doesn't have CS that's a color and white, you can see how she folds the card after scoring two ways:
https://m.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-26-2018 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Added K. Werner video
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Gina K. to the rescue too. At about 4:15 she gives a hint about angle. (I think I'm doing this to avoid doing chores and errands.)
https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I think it would be the opposite to have valley out/mountain in. You'd score on the side with color, say red. That score creates a valley in the red side, which you'd have on the outside. The white side with the mountain (the paper that got pushed out when the red side was scored) would be on the inside. Who's on first, right? : )

Kristina Werner shows it better than I can say it. While she doesn't have CS that's a color and white, you can see how she folds the card after scoring two ways:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gs26Z0fhM-g
This is correct. Because most people score with the right side of their cardstock facing up, that would be the valley fold, so the card would be folded with the mountain on the inside. It would be different if your score board made the valley on the bottom side (some do), then you would have to turn the cardstock so that the front side was down so that it would receive the valley and could be folded correctly with the mountain on the inside. Now is everyone completely confused?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by emckView Post
No, most people say to score on what would be the outside of the card, which makes a (valley) and then the (mountain) score will be on the inside.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

I'm guessing the problem with trying to score thick cardstock with the Cricut is your mat isn't soft enough to allow you to get a good impression on the cardstock. The score-tools have grooves which the cardstock stretches into. So, I don't think it matters how many passes you make it. Make sense? Again, only guessing that is the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes