Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Stamp Press Thoughts (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/stamp-press-thoughts-570092/)

Bahb 03-11-2013 07:43 PM

Stamp Press Thoughts

I've been thinking about a Stamp Press because my Stamp-a-ma-jig doesn't always help hit the right spot.

Would like to hear your thoughts if you have used a stamp press.

thanks,
Bahb

lylacfey 03-11-2013 11:50 PM

I have the Fiskars Stamp Press. I hope that is the one your thinking of. If it's not early apologies. I love my Fiskars Stamp Press. I love it so much my DH is now the caretaker of my old acrylic blocks. I have lupus. I was having trouble holding the acrylic blocks, especially on larger stamps like the big House Mouse ones. I get a perfect image every time I stamp on different surfaces like hard or cushioned. I can use clear, bare rubber and cushioned rubber stamps with great success. I don't usually try to rave about products because I want to be fair with the pros & cons. The Stamp Press is the one product that changed my stamping for the better. I can't really think of any cons.

I have the large stamp press from Fiskars. I made my smaller one. I used one of my unmarred CB plates. I cut squares from the Dollar Tree sponges and glued them to the plate. It does not have a grid, of course. I am good at eyeballing placement of my images. If anyone is interested in making their own you could probably add quilters template to the plate for your own grid.

Scrapjanny 03-12-2013 02:32 AM

I ditto what Dee Ann said. I love my Fiskars Stamp Press! Even my unmounted wheels and large background stamps fit on it. I still use my Stamp-a-Ma-Jig too, though.

sczarnecki 03-12-2013 02:40 AM

[QUOTE=lylacfey;20054697]I have the Fiskars Stamp Press. I hope that is the one your thinking of. If it's not early apologies. I love my Fiskars Stamp Press. I love it so much my DH is now the caretaker of my old acrylic blocks. I have lupus. I was having trouble holding the acrylic blocks, especially on larger stamps like the big House Mouse ones. I get a perfect image every time I stamp on different surfaces like hard or cushioned. I can use clear, bare rubber and cushioned rubber stamps with great success. I don't usually try to rave about products because I want to be fair with the pros & cons. The Stamp Press is the one product that changed my stamping for the better. I can't really think of any cons.

I have to agree with you! I love the stamp press! The best thing is it's the only "block" I need on my desk when I'm working up a design, if I have to make more than one of a card, I do use other blocks but I have used this press so much I bought two, one for my "travel" bag.

cbet 03-12-2013 07:55 AM

I also have the Fiskars Stamp Press - one of those things that I bought because I was in a mood, I had a coupon and doggone it, I was using it! (A dangerous mood for me - I try to stay out of the craft stores when I feel it bubbling up.)

Love it, love it, LOVE IT. It's the only way that I can get a good image with a background stamp, and I've tried the others.

I haven't tried it as a way to place multiple stamps and stamp them all at once, though. When I look at my stamps, the rubber is all different thickness depending on the brand (and on a couple of sets, the thickness varies even within the set).

It's not an expensive tool (especially with a coupon) and totally worth the price. And now I'm thinking I might need to make a smaller one with Dee Ann's instructions :)

lylacfey 03-12-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbet (Post 20055143)
I also have the Fiskars Stamp Press - one of those things that I bought because I was in a mood, I had a coupon and doggone it, I was using it! (A dangerous mood for me - I try to stay out of the craft stores when I feel it bubbling up.)

Love it, love it, LOVE IT. It's the only way that I can get a good image with a background stamp, and I've tried the others.

I haven't tried it as a way to place multiple stamps and stamp them all at once, though. When I look at my stamps, the rubber is all different thickness depending on the brand (and on a couple of sets, the thickness varies even within the set).

It's not an expensive tool (especially with a coupon) and totally worth the price. And now I'm thinking I might need to make a smaller one with Dee Ann's instructions :)

Cheryl you made me smile, thank you. :)

I have used multiple stamps with my stamp press. It worked great. I even mixed up my clear and bare rubber stamps. I just placed my clear stamps in an area where I could press a little lighter. The sponge feet make it easier to apply pressure where you need too. For example you can press a little heavier on the left side. This is great for those who have uneven work surfaces. I fussy cut a lot of my images. I like to stamp all my images at the same time if I can. I always practice on a scrap piece of cardstock first when I do multiples.

HeatherHolbrook 03-13-2013 05:35 AM

This is one of those tools that I thought "do I really need this?" and my answer is, yes! :) I love it and am so glad I bought it.

Bahb 03-13-2013 11:17 PM

Thanks so much for your responses. I've just ordered one and hope I love it as much as you do.

Bahb

TeeGeeDee 03-14-2013 01:10 PM

I have the small Fiskars stamp press and it has saved me money because it's the main reason I now usually buy cling mounted (aka clear-mount) stamps instead of my (still) preferred wood-mounted stamps.

I recently purchased an even smaller version by Martha Steward to keep in my traveling tote. It's called a medium footed stamp mount. I found a link that shows the small size:

Martha Stewart Martha Stewart Small Footed Stamp Mount- - For the Home - General Crafts - Craft Supplies

I plan to use it for the first time this weekend!

Scrapjanny 03-14-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDee (Post 20059176)
I have the small Fiskars stamp press and it has saved me money because it's the main reason I now usually buy cling mounted (aka clear-mount) stamps instead of my (still) preferred wood-mounted stamps.

I recently purchased an even smaller version by Martha Steward to keep in my traveling tote. It's called a medium footed stamp mount. I found a link that shows the small size:

Martha Stewart Martha Stewart Small Footed Stamp Mount- - For the Home - General Crafts - Craft Supplies

I plan to use it for the first time this weekend!

Tina, I hope the MS one works better for you than it did for me. I had both sizes of her stamp mounts, and I didn't like them. The feet left imprints on my card, some of them inky. It's hard to ink up your stamp with a regular ink pad when the mount is so small. The feet wind up getting inked too. We'll see if yours works better this weekend. I hope it does.

TeeGeeDee 03-14-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 20059219)
Tina, I hope the MS one works better for you than it did for me. I had both sizes of her stamp mounts, and I didn't like them. The feet left imprints on my card, some of them inky. It's hard to ink up your stamp with a regular ink pad when the mount is so small. The feet wind up getting inked too. We'll see if yours works better this weekend. I hope it does.

Good to know ... hoping my results are good; I like the idea of the easier portability.

dgmlmax 05-23-2013 03:54 AM

What sizes do these come in?

I have been on a hunt for these. Joann's has a large one. Michael's doesn't have any. When I google them I get several pictures of what seems like older and newer models. I don't know which are the newer versions. And of course if I order them online I really won't know which version they will ship. I would love to see the sizes so I can choose which I think will work best or me. I wanted a small for sentiment placement. But after looking into them I also like the idea of using it for background stamps, and even a mid size for multiple stamp placement. If you know what sizes are available or even the best pace to buy them please let me know. Thanks, Dina

cr8iveme 05-23-2013 04:27 AM

I have the Fiskars one. It's the large size.

Hadn't used it for a while and the feet got compressed to the point where I had to replace them. I cut up a sponge from the kitchen, although the feet aren't the perfect size I did get them to fit with just a small gap. Mine still works beautifully.

I use it for stamping larger stamps and background stamps. When I went to a stamp class this weekend we were stamping the large butterfly stamp from SU! and my image didn't get completely done. So since it was still my turn I just removed it from the clear block and placed it on my stamp press. It worked beautifully. So glad I packed it for the class/crop.

For the rest of my stamping I use the CTMH My Acrylix blocks. I like the divet on the sides for finger placement.

Good luck!