Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Machine Recommendations

Today the sensor on my Sizzix eclips went out and this is a very common problem with this machine :(. I need a new machine, but I don't want to purchase another eclips because of the common sensor issue. If you could let me know your experience with other machines out there, I'd very appreciate your input.

A) What machine do you use?
B) What do you like about it? Easy to use?
C) Any issues with it?
D) What is the thickest material you can cut on it?

I will be cutting fabric and of course, heavy card stock (Stampin' Up thick). I would prefer a machine that uses svg's because I have a huge collection. I'm considering the Janome Artistic Edge because I work in a quilt shop and I'm familiar with the software, but I'm not completely sold on the machine, which is why I'm looking for input. Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #2  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had a ScanNCut for 3 years. I didn't think I'd ever 'need' an electronic cutting machine, but noticed this when it was on sale and after lots of investigating, I decided I would be able to use it and its features are excellent. I'm not tech-savvy and don't use "Canvas" for designing, but I'm impressed with myself for the things I have created. I bought the cheapest version with the smaller screen and it would be nice to have the larger screen (which also would have more built-in designs). I think it cuts up to 2 mm thickness - paper, card, leather, fabric, chipboard, vellum and more. The scan function is SO useful. I can't rave enough about this machine!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had a Cricut and a Silhouette. I got rid of the Cricut because I got tired of buying the cartridges. I love my Silhouette. I had the smaller one (portrait) and gave that one to my cousin when I purchased my Cameo. The portrait is going on 8 years old or so and no problems. I do all my designing in the Silhouette program which the basic is free. I purchased the Business edition and love the extra features. I cut all paper and have cut as thick as posterboard using the regular blade. You could cut thicker with the deep cut blade. I do own the pix scan mat but have never used it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2019, 05:51 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1st cutter was a wishblade which was great but the cutting area was just way too small for the projects I wanted to do. Got a cuttlebug soon after. I still use it but, its expensive buying so many dies and embossing folders for every different type of card I make.
Finally, I saved up and got myself a knkusa 24" max air. which i absolutely love!!!
One thing to consider with digital die cutting machines though, you will not get that beveled edge cut like you get when you use a manual machine. I haven't figured out a way to re-create that with my digital cutter just yet...maybe using a pen style embossing tool..i duno...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A) What machine do you use? Scan N Cut
B) What do you like about it? It does everything the Silhouette and Cricut does PLUS it scans images and cuts them out. Easy to use? Very. If I can use it anyone can.
C) Any issues with it? I have had it for almost 2 years and have never had any trouble with it. Maybe the mat does not stay sticky but I can fix that.
D) What is the thickest material you can cut on it? I have only used heavy (110 lb) card stock. But it may handle more?

I like my SNC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I too have a Silhouette Portrait and love it. I bought the Original Silhouette machine about 15 years ago, and only replaced it recently. It was still working, just slow, noisy and many features of the newer software it couldn't use. It will also Scan and Cut, as will the Cameo, it comes with a Pixscan mat for that job. I looked into the Brother Scan n Cut when I decided I needed a new machine, but to be honest, the price put me off. The Portrait was much more affordable to me.
Reply With Quote Likes