Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Spellbinders Platinum 6 or Platinum 8.5 Inch?

Hi. For several months, I’ve been wrestling with what kind of paper cutting machine to get. After excluding programmable cutters (e.g. Cricut) and electrical die cutters (e.g. Gemini and Anna Griffen), I decided on a Spellbinders Platinum for the control it gives.

Spellbinders Platinums come in two flavors - the Platinum (8.5” plate) and the Platinum 6 (6” plate). Since the Platinum was about seven dollars LESS than the Platinum 6, I ordered one. I know that the Platinum 6 is smaller and lighter than the Platinum, but…

Are there any other benefits of the Platinum 6 over the Platinum (8.5)? Any downsides for the (8.5)? Any comments overall?

Thanks and best regards,

Dan.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 212 Likes on 154 Posts

Both machines exist in my house.  My daughter uses the Platinum and I have the Platinum 6 that I use with the Glimmer machine.  Basically you can cut larger items in the Platinum, like anything that needs a base larger than 6 inches to cut.  I have cut on the Platinum 6 many times.  I have not embossed on the machine.  My daughter has.   They give directions.  Basically my Platinum 6 was purchased on the clearance rack to use with the Glimmer machine.  I have a Big Shot Plus that I use for most everything else, so I tend to use it for embossing as I know the sandwich.  I have had dies that were easier to cut in the Spellbinders machines that wouldn't cut in the Big Shot.  I use the embossing plate with my SU embossing folders that need the special plate or a lot of shims to get good embossing.  Enjoy your machine!  Spellbinders makes great machines.

Featured Stamper #671
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Lisa,

Thanks for the feedback.   Other than being a bit larger, it sounds like there is not much difference between the 6 and the 8.5.

Best regards

Dan.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lovinpaper (09-29-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 177 Likes on 91 Posts

Personally I like a bigger machine on principle. I got the bigger Gemini for example. I think it is more flexible. You can always run smaller stuff in it. So I would have done exactly what you did.

I am sure you watched comparison vids on you tube...they did not mention anything? Interesting the bigger one was cheaper...the smaller one may be more popular for space issues. If space is an issue that matters. If you are going to be picking it up and moving it, weight matters.

Lisa-you did not want to run glimmer thru the bigger one? Glimmer says it is compatible...
Reply With Quote Likes
shirlb19 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Margot, the Glimmer Machine is quite compatible with the Platinum. It is also compatible with the Big Shot and Big Shot Plus machines. I was struggling with the Plus machine and keeping my foil plates in line. It is probably just me and my physical issues. I tend to have balance issues at times so anything that frustrates me or I have difficulty with, I tend to spend more money to make it easier for me. So I purchased the Fun Stamper Journey model when it was on clearance. I seem to do better with running the foil machine through. I am still learning my foil machine. I have found Hammermill paper to be wonderful with Glimmer Foiling. I am trying it today and am pleased more times than not.

Because I have the Big Shot Plus machine which I am more familiar with, I have not embossed with the Spellbinders machine. I use my Plus machine for that. My daughter has embossed with her Platinum and has great results.

It is a super powerful machine. Stephanie Bernard with The Stamps of Life uses it all the time in her videos.

Featured Stamper #671
Reply With Quote Likes
wavejumper (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 07:12 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 177 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for explaining Lisa.
I just feel bad that it seems like people are using several machines to play with instead of being able to just have one.

I am glad to hear I could run glimmer in my big shot! I have not gone even near that rabbit hole although it looks like a lot of fun, but then we have to have more than kind of foil and plates etc. But if I ever decide to do it...I have a machine that will work! Yay!
Reply With Quote Likes
lovinpaper (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Thanks for the feedback

Hi,

I decided to go with bigger Spellbinders for more flexibility. The only minor issue I’ve had is with complex dies - they are harder to crank through. Overall, I’m happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,

Dan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2021, 08:24 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Platinum and love that I can cut so many dies in one swipe! Also, a tip with larger dies is to lay them on the plate at an angle rather than straight up and down. It helps to go through more easily.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by cullenwr:
dahlia19 (10-05-2021), DanM (10-07-2021), LizSwickley (10-10-2021), sue in so cal (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperForums at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks for explaining Lisa.
I just feel bad that it seems like people are using several machines to play with instead of being able to just have one.

I am glad to hear I could run glimmer in my big shot! I have not gone even near that rabbit hole although it looks like a lot of fun, but then we have to have more than kind of foil and plates etc. But if I ever decide to do it...I have a machine that will work! Yay!
You might like this video:
Reply With Quote Likes
DanM (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 06:09 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Wanda,

Thanks for the tip. That should help a bunch.

One other thing I like about the Spellbinder machines is that they fold up. So even though it’s bigger than the smaller machines, when folded, it takes very little more room under my desk where it’s stored!

Vic,

Thanks for the link. One thing I noticed was the she was using a Sizzix machine with the Spellbinders glimmer machine. I wonder if it would work even better using a Spellbinders cutting machine.

Best regards,

Dan.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanMForums at Splitcoaststampers
Wanda,

Thanks for the tip. That should help a bunch.

One other thing I like about the Spellbinder machines is that they fold up. So even though it’s bigger than the smaller machines, when folded, it takes very little more room under my desk where it’s stored!

Vic,

Thanks for the link. One thing I noticed was the she was using a Sizzix machine with the Spellbinders glimmer machine. I wonder if it would work even better using a Spellbinders cutting machine.

Best regards,

Dan.
Here's another Glimmer unboxing - this time using a Platinum 6:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Vic,

Thanks for the video. Looks interesting.

Best regards,

Dan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2021, 07:58 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Can anyone tell me how to get to messages I have sent and received?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old Today, 08:24 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello...
would like to check is spellbinders platinum 8.5 still come with smaller accessories?
I ordered mine from JoAnn store, after checkout then realized that the website didn't state the measurement clearly. I wrote them email but unfortunately they are not able to advise and they can't cancel my order.
The way to cancel the order is to refuse to accept the package , but I gotta pay the shipping cost, to Singapore the cost is super expensive ,I can buy another machine.
So I am panicking don't know what would I received ? The smaller accessories or the larger. I hope there is no more smaller accessories package shipped to customer. And I am looking forward to hear any feedback from you. Thank you in advance. Happy crafting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old Today, 10:01 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

thecraftylicious, Welcome to Splitcoast Stampers. My daughter has the Platinum 8.5 inch, and it came with smaller cutting plates. All of the plates involved were smaller, like the size usually with the Platinum 6. She has no trouble with the smaller plates as they cut and emboss perfectly for her.

I just read Joann's website and it says standard plates. I looked on Amazon for more information and is still says Standard size. A question where the plate size is addressed says: The "standard" plates are 8 3/4" x 6 1/8." For the bigger or multiple dies, you'll need the large plates, but for most of your die cutting the standard size will do.

Featured Stamper #671
Reply With Quote Likes