Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Small die cutter? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/small-die-cutter-638224/)

JaneUK 04-29-2021 06:13 AM

Small die cutter?

I'm looking for a small die cutting machine to take to crops. It needs to be fairly light weight and non-electric. I have the Gemini Jr, Sizzix Big Shot, and Spellbinders Grand Calibur, but they are tto heavy and bulky to take to a crop!
I've looked online at the Evolution, SU's Mini Stampin' Cut and Emboss machine, Gemini's Mini Die Cutting Machine, and a few more. Does anyone have a recommendation? I live in the UK so can't use US craft shops.
Thanks for any advice.

ComradeBunny 04-29-2021 07:27 AM

I have the Sizzix Sidekick and I love it. I have the original machine, but you can cut wafer dies if you use the new cutting pads. I can't speak to the new machine, but I love the original. It is easy to pull out for smaller die cuts. The normal cutting plates measure 5 inches x 2 1/2 inches (12.7cm x 6.35cm)

basketdiva 04-29-2021 11:33 AM

The Sidekick will only cut dies up to 2.5" wide so that may not be useful at a crop

JaneUK 04-29-2021 02:45 PM

Thanks to ComradeBunny and basketdivafor the replies. I know the narrow openings could be a problem, but I would only use it for smaller dies anyway. One of the ones I've been looking at has a 3.5" opening (can't remember which it was now but I think it was the SU Mini) and that would work great most of the time. It's slightly more expensive than the others so I hope someone has it and can give me a "review".

Thanks again.

Scrapjanny 04-29-2021 06:15 PM

Sizzix Sidekick
Diamond Press
If you can get your hands on one, I've been using my daughter's Cuttle Kids machine. I bought it for her years ago when it first came out, and now I'm using it. I love it!

kazeka 04-29-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 22077543)
Sizzix Sidekick
Diamond Press
If you can get your hands on one, I've been using my daughter's Cuttle Kids machine. I bought it for her years ago when it first came out, and now I'm using it. I love it!

I bought the Cuddlekids machine for my granddaughter years ago and am wondering how you use it to cut wafer thin dies. Will it use the same cutting pads that the Cuttle Kids original dies use?
I still have the machine up in my closet, because I thought it would only cut the Cuttle Kids dies and they were so limited. Thanks.
Karen

kazeka 04-29-2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Sizzix Sidekick
Diamond Press

I read a few blogs that said you can't use regular wafer thin dies in the CuttleKids machine, so am eager to hear how you do it. The small size is perfect for travel!
Karen

lindylou1220 04-30-2021 02:26 AM

The Stampin' Up! mini machine (Baby Boss) became much more affordable when I used the half-price host benefit to get mine. I'm happy with it so far.

Scrapjanny 04-30-2021 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazeka (Post 22077550)
I read a few blogs that said you can't use regular wafer thin dies in the CuttleKids machine, so am eager to hear how you do it. The small size is perfect for travel!
Karen

Hmm. I don't know why they said that. I've been using wafter thin dies in the Cuttle Kids machine for several years now, and I'm using just the original plates that came with the machine. I also bought a few replacement sets on eBay, just in case. The dies cut perfectly, and I can even cut thin chipboard, foam, cork, heavy cardstock, glitter cardstock, and other materials. Of course, only the smaller dies fit, but I have a lot of small dies. :)

darlenemcg 04-30-2021 07:47 AM

I have the SU mini and Heffy Doodle - I prefer my Heffy Doodle it has a 3" opening does not move as much when I use it. Stampin Up one works too...I just like the Heffy Doodle better. Heffy Doodle is smaller than SU mini too.

cbet 05-02-2021 10:19 AM

I have both the diamond press machines. The Marquis is the larger of the two, and suts up to 4" wide, if I remember correctly. It's still small and portable, which I like, but I'm not a fan of their cutting folders. They're like a blank embossing folder and after a couple of passes through the machine, they warp and bow like crazy. They still work for cutting, but you pretty much have to tape your die to your paper to keep it in place. And they don't warp in the same direction, where you would just flip them over for the next cut - the top curls up and the bottom curls down. My folders look like a bunch of ducks' bills:)

lovinpaper 05-02-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 22077662)
Hmm. I don't know why they said that. I've been using wafter thin dies in the Cuttle Kids machine for several years now, and I'm using just the original plates that came with the machine. I also bought a few replacement sets on eBay, just in case. The dies cut perfectly, and I can even cut thin chipboard, foam, cork, heavy cardstock, glitter cardstock, and other materials. Of course, only the smaller dies fit, but I have a lot of small dies. :)

Good to know. Thanks! We have on in the closet that my daughter used when she was young along with the many dies. It may need to come out of the closet and get used.

kazeka 05-02-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 22077662)

I bought extra plates for it as well, so it's great to know I can cut with regular wafer dies. Now I can pull it down from the closet and actually use it when I go to my daughter's house.
Karen

kazeka 05-02-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbet (Post 22078164)
I have both the diamond press machines. The Marquis is the larger of the two, and suts up to 4" wide, if I remember correctly. It's still small and portable, which I like, but I'm not a fan of their cutting folders. They're like a blank embossing folder and after a couple of passes through the machine, they warp and bow like crazy. They still work for cutting, but you pretty much have to tape your die to your paper to keep it in place. And they don't warp in the same direction, where you would just flip them over for the next cut - the top curls up and the bottom curls down. My folders look like a bunch of ducks' bills:)

Haha.. I can just imagine those duck billed folders. I have several sets of the Diamond Press dies with those funny folders too, but haven't used the folders when I cut. I use my Big Shot and the Big Shot cutting plates.
Karen

cbet 05-02-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazeka (Post 22078202)
Haha.. I can just imagine those duck billed folders. I have several sets of the Diamond Press dies with those funny folders too, but haven't used the folders when I cut. I use my Big Shot and the Big Shot cutting plates.
Karen

I prefer my bigshot, too! But I had to try the Marquis to see if it really worked. And it does - but the warped folders, ick!

JaneUK 05-03-2021 06:32 AM

These replies are great. I had no idea, when I started this thread, how many of these mini, manual machines are out there. I even made a table of comparison but got so confused, I finally just stuck my finger on one and ordered it: the Gemini mini. It cuts up to 3" wide and cost only £16.46 (British pounds) so it's not like I invested so much if I really don't like it. It will be delivered tomorrow.

I currently have a Big Shot (the original which is a real workhorse), the Gemini Junior (definitely not my favorite), and Spellbinder Grand Calibur (which I've probably only used twice in the 8 years I've had it!) but just wanted a little one to take to my craft days.

Here are the ones I found in the UK:

Altenew Blossom
Craft Buddy
Gemini Mini
Heffy Doodle
Kit n Caboodle
Sizzix Sidekick
SU Mini Cutter
Sweet Dixie Amethyst
Tools Mini
WRMK Evolution

I spent three days online looking at these and reading your replies and other reviews. Unfortunately most of these were out of stock, too small an opening, or didn't get very good reviews. I haven't heard of the Marquis machines, so assume they're not available here.

Just want to say thanks again for the replies. Keep posting if you want, as this was valuable information.

mac4551 05-03-2021 06:51 AM

Quote:

Sizzix Sidekick
Diamond Press

wow - when the Cuttlekids machine fist came out, I tried constantly to get one. Never found one anyplace. I found one at a yard sale one year about 5 years ago, but the handle was broken. I bet it works great with todays dies !

At my last SU class, we used the mini SU machine and it's wonderful to use, and cuts are awesome. If I didn't have all the machines I presently own, I'd invest on one of the newer SU ones. I have the original Diamond Press, but it is only for very small dies, and the bigger Diamond Press goes through a lot of folders . My buddy has one and is very disappointed in the cheap folders)... that is everyones major complaint with the Marquis. I also have the Craft Buddy that I bought on Ali Express, and it's also fantastic. I've had about a year and a half and just replaced the 2 plates recently. I highly recommend that one but check the size as I am not sure of metric sizes.

kazeka 05-03-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUK (Post 22078373)
These replies are great. I had no idea, when I started this thread, how many of these mini, manual machines are out there. I even made a table of comparison but got so confused, I finally just stuck my finger on one and ordered it: the Gemini mini. It cuts up to 3" wide and cost only £16.46 (British pounds) so it's not like I invested so much if I really don't like it. It will be delivered tomorrow.

I currently have a Big Shot (the original which is a real workhorse), the Gemini Junior (definitely not my favorite), and Spellbinder Grand Calibur (which I've probably only used twice in the 8 years I've had it!) but just wanted a little one to take to my craft days.

Here are the ones I found in the UK:

Altenew Blossom
Craft Buddy
Gemini Mini
Heffy Doodle
Kit n Caboodle
Sizzix Sidekick
SU Mini Cutter
Sweet Dixie Amethyst
Tools Mini
WRMK Evolution

I spent three days online looking at these and reading your replies and other reviews. Unfortunately most of these were out of stock, too small an opening, or didn't get very good reviews. I haven't heard of the Marquis machines, so assume they're not available here.

Just want to say thanks again for the replies. Keep posting if you want, as this was valuable information.

Hi Jane,
Do you mind telling me what it is that you don't care for with the Gemini Jr and the Grand Calibur? I've never seen the Gemini machines in person, but when I saw the Gemini Jr. demonstrated on HSN, it seemed really noisy.
Karen

JaneUK 05-04-2021 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazeka (Post 22078495)
Hi Jane,
Do you mind telling me what it is that you don't care for with the Gemini Jr and the Grand Calibur? I've never seen the Gemini machines in person, but when I saw the Gemini Jr. demonstrated on HSN, it seemed really noisy.
Karen

Hi Karen.
Gemini Junior: It took me forever to get the right "sandwich" and then it seems spotty as to how much pressure it uses to cut. Also, it sometimes jams or stops and won't move forward or backward until I turn it off (completely....unplug it) and start again. Also it's much too heavy to move it so it has to stay right where it's at.

Grand Calibur: As I said, I've only used it a couple times because I really don't need the big dies. I bought when I was scrapbooking but now I'm mostly making cards. There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just bulky and in the way.

I'm impatiently waiting for the delivery man to bring my new one. If that one doesn't do the job, I'm going to get the Stampin' Up one I think. More expensive but has a 3.5" opening and folds up for storage.

arlenevita 05-04-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220 (Post 22077580)
The Stampin' Up! mini machine (Baby Boss) became much more affordable when I used the half-price host benefit to get mine. I'm happy with it so far.

How much does the the SU! Mini weight?

marilynmac 05-04-2021 08:11 AM

I picked up the We R Memory Keepers Evolution a couple of years ago and love it for portability. The plates are 3" wide which work great with many of my small dies. I also have a Sidekick with the narrower plates. My problem is that I'm in the states so getting the replacement plates for the Evolution isn't as easy. However, so far I haven't needed new ones.

donnamdresp 05-04-2021 08:25 AM

I own The mini cut and emboss Machine by Stampin’ Up!. They haven’t Perfected the machine yet so I would not purchase it. I am very disappointed in the machine.

JaneUK 05-04-2021 09:10 AM

Hurrah! It's here and I'm delighted. The Gemini Mini is so lightweight...it's about like my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9) in weight and fits nicely in the palm of my hand. I immediately had to try it out, as you do, and the results are perfect. I used a rather complicated die and it cut perfectly. I can't figure out how to post a picture from my computer so I'll have to put it on my blog. The only downside is that the little folder is really marked up, but fortunately I ordered extras so when it gets really bad I have more.

kazeka 05-04-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUK (Post 22078658)
Hi Karen.
Gemini Junior: It took me forever to get the right "sandwich" and then it seems spotty as to how much pressure it uses to cut. Also, it sometimes jams or stops and won't move forward or backward until I turn it off (completely....unplug it) and start again. Also it's much too heavy to move it so it has to stay right where it's at.

Grand Calibur: As I said, I've only used it a couple times because I really don't need the big dies. I bought when I was scrapbooking but now I'm mostly making cards. There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just bulky and in the way.

I'm impatiently waiting for the delivery man to bring my new one. If that one doesn't do the job, I'm going to get the Stampin' Up one I think. More expensive but has a 3.5" opening and folds up for storage.

Thanks for your reviews of each machine. I always thought the Grand Calibur looked like it practically needs a room of it's own because of the size and weight. Having to turn off the Gemini Jr and unplug it to reset would drive me nuts! I haven't gotten a motorized machine, but if I did, it would be for convenience, so having to fiddle with it would not be a plus.
I have my Big Shot and the Spellbinders Platinum 6, along with my old CuttleKids, and the Sizzix Sidekick that someone gave me years ago when she didn't want it anymore. The main one I use is my Big Shot. I keep my Platinum 6 next to it, and use that for embossing, so I don't have to switch sandwiches. Wow, I didn't realize I have so many die machines, but I really use my Big Shot almost all the time. The others gather dust or are in my closet.
Karen

kazeka 05-04-2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUK (Post 22078718)
Hurrah! It's here and I'm delighted. The Gemini Mini is so lightweight...it's about like my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9) in weight and fits nicely in the palm of my hand. I immediately had to try it out, as you do, and the results are perfect. I used a rather complicated die and it cut perfectly. I can't figure out how to post a picture from my computer so I'll have to put it on my blog. The only downside is that the little folder is really marked up, but fortunately I ordered extras so when it gets really bad I have more.

I'm so glad it's working for you. I wasn't familiar with the mini, so just looked up a demonstration on Youtube to see how small it is. It kind of reminds me of the Diamond Press, with those plastic folders. Looks like the perfect little machine to tuck into your supply bag if you're traveling.
Karen

JaneUK 05-04-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazeka (Post 22078748)
Thanks for your reviews of each machine. I always thought the Grand Calibur looked like it practically needs a room of it's own because of the size and weight. Having to turn off the Gemini Jr and unplug it to reset would drive me nuts! I haven't gotten a motorized machine, but if I did, it would be for convenience, so having to fiddle with it would not be a plus.
I have my Big Shot and the Spellbinders Platinum 6, along with my old CuttleKids, and the Sizzix Sidekick that someone gave me years ago when she didn't want it anymore. The main one I use is my Big Shot. I keep my Platinum 6 next to it, and use that for embossing, so I don't have to switch sandwiches. Wow, I didn't realize I have so many die machines, but I really use my Big Shot almost all the time. The others gather dust or are in my closet.
Karen

Yes, I agree about the Big Shot. Mine is old but I can always trust it to do the job. It's my "Go-To" for most things but it does take up quite a bit of room and it's much too heavy to take along anywhere. The size of the Gemini Mini (3") will limit its use but nothing is perfect, is it?

kltpiano 05-04-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUK (Post 22077342)
I'm looking for a small die cutting machine to take to crops. It needs to be fairly light weight and non-electric. I have the Gemini Jr, Sizzix Big Shot, and Spellbinders Grand Calibur, but they are tto heavy and bulky to take to a crop!
I've looked online at the Evolution, SU's Mini Stampin' Cut and Emboss machine, Gemini's Mini Die Cutting Machine, and a few more. Does anyone have a recommendation? I live in the UK so can't use US craft shops.
Thanks for any advice.

I have the Altenew small cutting machine and I love it. It is cheaper than the SU mini and has suction feet that keep it stable. I have enjoyed using it for the smaller dies in my projects....just use it right at my craft table. I found this to be a worthwhile purchase.

Scrapjanny 05-04-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazeka (Post 22078751)
I'm so glad it's working for you. I wasn't familiar with the mini, so just looked up a demonstration on Youtube to see how small it is. It kind of reminds me of the Diamond Press, with those plastic folders. Looks like the perfect little machine to tuck into your supply bag if you're traveling.
Karen

That's because Crafter's Companion actually makes the Diamond Press. I think they sold the Diamond Press name.

kltpiano 05-04-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUK (Post 22077342)
Thanks for any advice.

So sorry...I wrote in before about the Altenew small die cutting machine with no name. It is called the Mini Blossom small die cutting machine. And I was able to get it on sale for $35 which I thought was a good deal. It comes with the cutting plates which are clearly labeled. I see now that it is $50 regular price....so maybe not cheaper than SU mini? But at least Altenew does run sales. Hope that clarifies it a bit.

lindylou1220 05-05-2021 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevita (Post 22078687)
How much does the the SU! Mini weight?

I think it's just shy of 2-1/2 pounds.

AbbysGrammy 05-05-2021 04:51 AM

I have Tim Holz sidekick and the SU new mini. I use them both almost every day. I have had no problems with my SU machine. I love them both but if I was only getting one the SU one has the biggest opening 31/2 ". The sidekick is 21/2".

arlenevita 05-05-2021 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220 (Post 22078904)
I think it's just shy of 2-1/2 pounds.

Thanks!

Stamp_envi 05-05-2021 08:49 AM

I use the Altenew Blossom. I've had it nearly a year and have been very happy with it. It cuts cleanly and is relatively light-weight, so nice for travel. I'm still using my original plates.

I owned two Sidekick machines before this one. I broke both, but I think it was just because I use my machines so much that I wear them out after about a year! :)

Debbie Koch 05-12-2021 07:26 AM

I have both Stampin' Up! machines, large and small, and I love both! The pass-through is smooth, cuts intricate dies well, and the platforms on both fold up to save space and make it easier to carry. Waiting for SU to come up with a magnetic plate, but for now Post-It notes work great.

HOBBYSUE 05-12-2021 07:59 AM

I might be a bit late on a response here but here I go. Crafters Companion makes a manual machine called the Gemini Mini. It has a 3X6 cutting plate and is great for travel. Personally I prefer the electric Gemini Go which also has a 3X6 plate. I have wrist issues so electric is better for me. (old age stinks lol) The mini is about $35 here in the U.S. and the Go is about $100 so it is a big price difference but they are both great machines in my opinion. Spellbinders also makes a small one or at least use to called the Prizm and it has a 2.5" opening and cost about $35 in the U.S. Hope this helps a bit.

joniworx 05-12-2021 10:19 AM

If you are looking for something electric, look at Crafters Companion. I have the US version and it is absolutely lovely. You can't go wrong with any of Suzanne's stuff - I love her machines. Her mini is da bomb. She must have a EU version. Love, love, love this machine!!!

Ack...Just realized I was thinking of Anna Griffin's electric and reading more closely you are looking for manual. I have Tim Holtz's Sidekick and like it very much. Be sure and get extra plates for it as they can go out quickly. I cut only on one plate, and one side until that side is pretty used up, then flip it over and use that side up. I get a clean plate and use the one that has been the bottom plate for cutting and the new plate for the bottom. I avoid bending this way and that works well for me. I do prefer Anna Griffin's mini and use it more often than the sidekick, but that is just me. It's plate is larger and it is more versatile that way.

contrapat 05-12-2021 04:36 PM

Just to chime in, I have the Baby Blue, by Tattered Lace, which was a freebie some time ago with an order. I actually have never used it, since I have a Big Shot on my craft desk, and a Cuttlebug also within reach. I'd LOVE to sell it to someone who needs a small die cutter for travel. I think they discontinued it, but I see used ones on Amazon.

mac4551 05-13-2021 03:46 AM

I have the Gemini Jr, in purple... this color was only available at the HSN launch. I love it. The reviews (after I bought mine) aren't very good... people had all kinds of trouble. Mine cuts perfect.. the plates do warp even with flipping and turning at every cut.. but it's still my go to machine. I donated my original Cuttlebug to an assisted living facility because I just wasn't able to crank the handle. Someone on you tube said to just keep cranking, the plates won't crack... my C plate cracked in half the FIRST time I used it. Instructions said use C for cutting and B for embossing... but you tubers said they never used a C plate as it was too expensive to replace ! ?? But, back to my Gemini Jr.. I have found that stopping it and then using reverse sometimes makes the machine stop. So, I no longer do that. If a second cut is needed I just put the plates back into the machine. But, the pressure is even, and yes it is a little loud, mine is still a great machine and I'd recommend it to anyone for die cutting.

cataluma 05-13-2021 03:31 PM

I have the CGull die cutting/embossing mini. It's opening is 3 inches wide. I love this mini.
I can use it in my room because it is small and takes up very little space. Works great.
They are hard to find, but Etsy has one. Most of my dies are small enough to use with this
great machine.

Pjsiedling 06-15-2021 11:32 AM

Is there a mini -manual die cutting machine that you can use the slimline dies with? I just haven't seen one with a wide enough opening.