Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #1201  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So tonight on my way home I stopped by Michael's and bought two more cards. I bought Paws and Claws, and Happy Trails. I live in San Antonio and our Rodeo is almost upon us. It's a pretty big deal in S.A. Not as huge as Houston's but pretty major. The Paws and Claws has an image of a golden, which I have and love to death, so I had to buy that one. I love my Daisy. Can one love their furry companion too much?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #1202  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can anyone tell me if you can use the Applique Basics in the regular slice to cut paper? Or do you need the green slice?
thanks in advance.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #1203  
Rubber Obsessor

I was reading something on another website that MM is discontinuing the SLICE machine all together. I hope not. Has anyone heard of this? I'm hoping Michael's is just not going to carry it anymore. Has anyone seen SLICE on sale at Hobby Lobby?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #1204  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

HELP!! Someone??

Ok, so I'm getting a bit frustrated. I had heard previously how wonderful the Making Memories company support was supposed to be. Well, . . . let's just say it's not been a great support week for them.

Tuesday I used my Slice Elite machine - was working fine. I took out the cart and put another one in. It didn't go in all the way so I pushed it in again and it still wouldn't go in. This is when I took a second look at the cart and noticed I had put it in backwards. So I took the cart out, turned it around, and put it in again, which it still would not go in. At that moment I also realized the machine was not on even though it had previously been and I had not shut it off. I tried to turn it on and it won't turn on. And, again, I can't even put a cart in the proper way. -- NOTHING. --

I called Making Memories thinking I would be talking to a live person, got transferred instead to a voice mail and told to leave a message, which I left a detailed message. The message also indicated someone would get back to me within 24-48 hours. My husband thinks they might have called later that day but when he picked up the phone to answer it, the caller disconnected.

Thursday I sent an email detailing the problem again. No response (at least not written) back to that yet.

Friday morning I called them again, same process as Tuesday. I had to leave for work at 2:30 and they did call around 3:00'ish. My husband, whom I had told all of the details and is a very good computer geek, after answering several of their questions to which they answered that putting the cart in backwards should not have stopped the machine from working, needed to go into my craft room to look at the Slice machine or carts or something, accidentally disconnected the call. They haven't called back yet. He then called them again and had to leave another voice mail like on Tuesday.

Has anyone had this problem with the Slice Elite? I never had any real problems when I had my non-Elite Slice. I have also recently bought a bunch of carts on sale because I like using the Slice Elite.

Has anyone had this much difficulty getting responses from Making Memories? Where many of the stores seem to be not wanting to carry the Slice products anymore, I became anxious, called around to see if I could find any on sale, which I couldn't, and ended up buying one at Hobby Lobby just in case I can't get my current one fixed for a reasonable amount. I'm not going to open the new one until I find out for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #1205  
Embossing Fanatic

A little nervous after reading the forums - I bought the Slice (not sure if its the Elite one or what) at Michael's for 19.99 and 3 extra design cards (4.99 ea). I also got the 12x12 mat with it. Today I picked up the marker tips and ball point tips and 5 more cartridges. Haven't tried to make much with it yet - but I do know it cut great when I sampled 4 of the cartridges on Friday night. It's the perfect size for me and the price was perfect too - even if Michael's is discontinuing it. Sux that I will have to shop at Hobby Lobby for cartridges since I am a Michael's employee - but those are the breaks.

Hoping that I don't experience the issues I've read about here. Does anyone have any links to great blogs focusing on slice challenges? Would be kinda neat to participate in a slice card creation challenge...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #1206  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi wndy26! If you go to the beginning of this Sticky there is a ton of very useful information over some of the glitches you may encounter. I've heard that customer service is great at Making Memories, and they can walk you through any situation that you can't work through from this Sticky. I recently bought my Slice Elite from Michael's when they were marked down to 39.99. I don't mind spending it though cuz I really have enjoyed cutting with it. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #1207  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Yeah! Got a Slice Elite back today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
Ok, so I'm getting a bit frustrated. I had heard previously how wonderful the Making Memories company support was supposed to be. Well, . . . let's just say it's not been a great support week for them.
. . .
Has anyone had this much difficulty getting responses from Making Memories?
Well, problems are all solved. Making Memories customer support called back on the 17th.

They had me try a few things which still did not fix either problem so they had me send the machine in, which I did. Fortunately, it was still under warranty so the only thing I paid was shipping to them. I just received my Slice Elite today --less than a week after I sent it to them.

Absolutely wonderful! Thank you Making Memories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #1208  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi ladies! It's been a long while since anyone posted anything here. I just spent the morning using my Slice to cut out sentiments for my Valentines Day cards. I had only two mishaps and that was only because I still a little unsure of placement of the Slice. I wanted to cut out multiple words from my piece of card stock, and ended over cutting my previous cut. Secondly, it had been awhile since I used my hands free mat so the adhesive was not tacky enough to hold the card stock. I messed up my first attempt, but quickly and easily cleaned up the mat, and reapplied the adhesive. Other than those two stumbles, it was pretty much a successful day of Slicing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #1209  
Rubber Obsessor

TxHoneyBee, I'm so glad to hear that you are having success with your Slice. I've been using my recently and just love it. A friend and I are going to be doing a craft show on 3/31 and I've been using it to help decorate candy bars and things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #1210  
Cardstock Collector

I too am finally loving my Slice. I was able to get a new basics 1 card and can now calibrate my machine. I've done a lot of cutting and it is working beautifully. Thank you to all the ladies on this forum for the great advice. If not for you all, my Slice would have ended up just being a regrettable purchase and sitting on the shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #1211  
Embossing Fanatic

Just an update from my post before Christmas. I got the update card, but the machine wouldn't update at all. After of nearly a week of contacting MM via telephone or email, I finally heard back. (found out they only have 1 person in MM- if you can get a hold of her she's great. It was actually someone in accounting that finally answered the CS line and got the ball rolling, I was very grateful. Also for some reason, MM states they've sent me emails and I've never received a single one of them. weird.)

I sent my machine back for a replacement (it was still under warantee) and got it back here in Canada today. It was received in Utah on the 27th of Jan, so it didn't take all that long.

The only thing I'm not happy about is that MM didn't clarify on the customs form that this was a replacement, not a purchase, and I had to pay Duty.

I've lived without the Slice for 3 months waiting for my issue to be resolved. There were sometimes that I missed it, but overall, I did just fine without it. I'm worried it will breakdown again outside of the warantee period (only have a few months left) and I really don't want to pay another round of shipping and duty. Now I just have to figure out if I'm going to sell it, or keep it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #1212  
Rubber Obsessor

Is it better to use the regular mat or the magnetic hands free mat? I just purchased a slice and was wondering which one is better. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #1213  
Stampin' Fool

I prefer the Hands Free. So much easier for me......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #1214  
Rubber Obsessor

Hands free is the way to go, definitely. IMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #1215  
Rubber Obsessor

Cool thanks. I cannot wait to get my slice. Hopefully I use it often. I never used my cricut. So I hope I use this one lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #1216  
Rubber Obsessor

This will eventually be a gift for my niece and nephew.

I am planning on inking them up and adding little bling to my niece's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #1217  
Rubber Obsessor

This will eventually be a gift for my niece and nephew.

I am planning on inking them up and adding a little bling to my niece's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #1218  
Rubber Obsessor

Oops, a double entry. Can someone delete one of the messages? Sorry....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #1219  
Cardstock Collector

Txhoneybee, what a great gift for your niece and nephew - lovely idea!

I just posted a new entry on my blog, about how I'm using my Slice for journaling spots in my Project Life album. Feel free to take a look!

Click here to view.

Been a Slice gal for nearly 3.5 years and still loving it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #1220  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Caroline! Thanks for inviting me to see your Slice adornments! I really like how you use your cut images for your Journaling pages. Do you have the hands free system? I love my Slice especially now that I have my hands free system. It really makes using the Slice so much more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #1221  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Caroline. I revisited your site and see you do use the hands free system. I love what you do with the Slice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #1222  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoryAngelView Post
Txhoneybee, what a great gift for your niece and nephew - lovely idea!

I just posted a new entry on my blog, about how I'm using my Slice for journaling spots in my Project Life album. Feel free to take a look!

Click here to view.

Been a Slice gal for nearly 3.5 years and still loving it.
I commented on your blog but thanks for posting this link! What a fantastic idea I do Project Life and for some reason never thought of using the Slice in my layouts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #1223  
Cardstock Collector

@Txhoneybee: yes I do have the hands-free kit and I totally love it! I definitely couldn't go back to using my Slice without it. I find the cuts are cleaner and I'm sure it's kinder on my blades, too.

@mswhittaker23: thank you for your comment! It's nice to find another PL-er/Slicer I am a big Slice fan and I pretty much try to accommodate it into any creative project, hehe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #1224  
Rubber Obsessor

Caroline, I love your PL projects. I never heard of it before and think it's a wonderful idea! I too have had my Slice for years. One of my pet peeves with it is that it doesn't make nice round circles like yours does. Might this mean it needs to be re-calibrated? I also find that it doesn't cut through some of my papers. At first I just thought it was the weight of my paper, but I'm finding it happening more often. Any clues?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #1225  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks, camerabuff! Project Life is totally awesome... Like I explained on my blog, I'm not using PL in exactly the same way that most people are, but it's been incredibly freeing to be able to scrapbook in that way. I'm finding I'm looking at my Slice design cards in a totally different way, too, as it's opened up all these new opportunities. It's like having a bunch of new design cards without paying for them, hehe!

About the circles: actually those circles on the journaling cards were punched - they're 0.5" circles. But your Slice should be able to cut round circles. Are you using the hands-free kit? I recommend it to solve a whole range of Slice issues! Also make sure your cutting mat is clean when you respray it (I use Krylon repositionable adhesive) rather than respraying over the top. The other thing you might want to check is your blade - see if a brand new sharp one makes a difference. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #1226  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for your reply, AngelStory. I do have the hands free kit and love it. Maybe my mat needs to be cleaned. Also I haven't tried the spray on glue. I still use the old-fashioned glue in the tube. Maybe I'll have to try some this weekend. I've been using my Slice for more than just cards or scrapping. A friend and I are doing a craft show on 3/31 and I've been using it to decorate candy wrappers and little boxes and such. I'm really glad I do have the Slice. Thanks for your input.
Cherie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #1227  
Pearl-ExPert

I am wondering if all the Elite and Fabrique cards will work in the original Slice?? I have not used my Slice very often and but am loving some of the newer cards.

TIA

http://papercutsnink.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #1228  
Glitter Queen

I read on another website that the fabrique cards will work in the Slice but no one seems to know if you can actually cut fabric with the Slice. I am hopeful that you can because it seems like the machines are the same and I would not want to have to double purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #1229  
Rubber Obsessor

Marlene have you tried emailing Making Memories? They are really good about answering questions. Sometimes you have to be patient with waiting on the answer, but they do answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #1230  
Cardstock Collector

Hey
I'm in the UK and have just heard about MM selling off the slice machine's at 'Michaels'?
I'm really sad that we can't access these bargains.
On another note has anyone tried the smallest cuts on the salutations card? Mine come out really distorted. (with the slice elite) MM changed my machine (I had to pay postage for the part I had to return to show I had disabled the machine).
I've tried calibrating the new machine, but the cuts are still distorted? Any suggestions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #1231  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just joined the Slice family- I bought a barely used one and it arrived yesterday. So far I am really happy with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #1232  
Rubber Obsessor

I would love to have the Expression I own the Slice and (since mine is working fine) think it is a great value!! HOWEVER- I would stick to what you have because Customer Support(read reviews & I have a friend who had bad experience trying to get response or help when her Slice stopped working and she did all the trouble shooting). Her experience discouraged me from any further purchase in fear for my Slice going out.
But from what I have, I still enjoy using it. No, some of the cut outs are not perfect but I am usually able to fix the problem if there is one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #1233  
Cardstock Collector

I have a faulty design card ..... Was okay but suddenly slice machine won't read it. Have tried Making Memories Customer support but getting no response. I am in New Zealand and emails to them going unanswered and their support site seems to be out of order. Can anyone offer some advice as to where to go from here. Middle of a project which is now on hold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #1234  
Cardstock Collector

Christolen I would try posting on the making memories blog if you can't get through to customer service. What design card are you working with? Maybe someone who has the card you need would be willing to cut the designs you need. I have seen people ask for die cuts on message boards before, and they usually get some fellow crafters to help them out. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #1235  
Rubber Obsessor

Anyone still liking the Slice Elite? I understand they are not making them anymore but wondering if anyone knows where you can possibly still find them for a decent price. I noticed they have a new slice out but thinking it is going to be hard finding that in any store. Anyone have info on the newest one as well? I like the idea of them being portable and the cards are my style. If I could find one for the right price I would be willing to take the risk .... I think ;) Give me your recent feedback please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #1236  
Matboard Maniac

I know that I have seen the Slice w/ a bunch of accessories at Tuesday Morning for a low price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #1237  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

what is going on with the slice? the making memory web site won't open and now I see their new site is slicecrafts.com and that slice is green and cuts cloth... did the stop making the blue one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #1238  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like it. I love my Slice and hope it works forever because I have a feeling that Making Memories will not repair on older model.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #1239  
Matboard Maniac

Amymac,
Here is a link to Oh my Crafts website they have a good special on pink Slice bundled with a lot of accessories: http://www.ohmycrafts.com/slice-elit...ve-bundle.aspx. If you sign up to their e-newsletters you get 20% or more off your order (be aware they will send many emails) so it takes the price to $159.
I have heard they are only making the fabric (green) one and will no longer repair the regular one. Be aware that there may be a risk buying the bundle as the Slice machine has had a LOT of problems - I am on my 4th one, the first three became faulty after a few months of use. I also know others that sent one or more machines back. I have found there it was a long and painful process to getting a properly working slice, and while many problems have been ironed out, I suspect they are not all ironed out, and this may be why they dropped the product. However, best wishes if this is the way you want to go!
Prov. 11:25

Last edited by natja; 02-18-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #1240  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry AmyDav, I got your name wrong...
Prov. 11:25
Reply With Quote Likes