Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette

Hi. I have been researching cutting machines. I am on a tight budget (as we all are).
I love the cricut, but just won't be able to afford the cartridges.

So, I started looking into the silhouette. If anyone has any feedback about it I would love to hear. I saw a number of posts on the cameo, but don't think I'll be able to afford that one.

(Yes, I've already hit Youtube to see what its all about).

Thanks.
Paula
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

You can get the Silhouette Cameo for just under $220 from Oh My Crafts. You can get the Sizzix eclips for a little less than that. Both are good machines.

You have to sign up for their newsletter to get coupon codes sent to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a Silhouette is a better investment as you will never have to invest in cartridges, which really add up over time & you may not have a use for all designs on the cartridge.

With a Silhouette, if you can't find a design you need at their store, there are many designs posted on blogs, or you can just design what to want yourself, in any size you want.

Oh My Crafts has the Cameo for $269 now with 20% off.

Many who have upgraded to the Cameo are selling their SD so you may be able to find a good deal by 'watching' them on ebay. I did that & decided to go with the Cameo on that Oh My Crafts deal when I saw some used SDs going for not much less on ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I've seen new and almost new Silhouette SD's for sale on Craigslist too for @ $150. It might be worth checking out.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a Cameo that I LOVE. Worth every penny!! Not sure what the difference between the SD and the Cameo is though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I would still go with the Cameo. You buy something used and there is no guarantee. I have used the Customer Service from Silhoutte on basic questions and they are super fantastic! The Cameo comes with designs free ---and they are so cheap to purchase and offer a great selection ---probably too many! Ha!! Good Luck with you decision --but they are right with Oh My Crafts ---I got mine there before Christmas and it was about $215.99 --free shipping ---best investment ever! So easy to use! You would love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I agree with the posts about how great it is! I want to add that you can buy a subscription for the silhouette store and for the basic $9.99 a month you get $25 worth of shapes and the balance carries over at the end of the month too. I've been stockpiling clearance shapes for $.50 apiece and most others are $.99. You get great quality weekly freebies too. I recommend that you download the free design software and check it out. You may find it will help in your decision on the Cameo and SD since the big difference is the cut size (6" vs 12"). If you are going to primarily cut shapes for cards or small embellishments, the SD will suit you fine but remember you are limited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Silhouette SD and can't say enough good things about it. I also have a Cricut E2 and it doesn't hold a candle to my Silhouette. The Cameo sounds wonderful but my SD is still pretty new so not for me for now . The biggest difference is the paper size , if you really want 12x12 you might want to save for the Cameo. I personally haven't minded the smaller size but I don't scrapbook much anymore. I've heard the new better blade fits in the SD so they should cut about the same thickness. And both machines take the new software.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I have the original Silhouette. I've had it for years and it's still going strong. It's easy to use. They have a free download every week that helps you build your library up too. I would recommend it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Whichever one you get --don't forget to get a subscription! I got the 50 dollars in designs for $12.00 special and thought I would have trouble finding 50 designs each month. Well--- won't say that anymore ---I am down to 9 cents in my account and 5 days to go before I get more to spend ----and my wishlist has probably 30 in it!!! WOW!! Love this Cameo!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I have a Silhouette SD machine - I found it on Kijiji, NIB, for $150. Everything was still in the box, even the $10 download card. I love that I can find any shape I want for just $.99 without committing to a $50 cartridge. Their clearance shapes are awesome, and with a free shape each week, you can have 52 shapes at the end of the year, without spending a penny. Oh, that's besides the shapes that come pre-loaded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Default Love this machine!

I've had a Big Shot for over 2 years now and I love it, but never imagined the unlimited possibilities of the Silhouette! I'm not a super techie and I've always been way too intimidated to work photo shop, but so far I've been able to work the program just fine. I love that I can have access to almost any shape at any time right at my finger tips!!!!! I also love that I don't have to store stacks of dies that are limited to one size! Now I can make that Heart any size I want! I originally got the Cameo thinking I would only use it for letters, but I've been doing so much with it! I've been scanning stamps and images and cutting around them with ease! It's amazing! I'm certainly still learning all the ins and outs, but I have no regrets and it was worth every penny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi All....thank you so much for the info. I was on the pc on Friday and found the page that listed the different memberships. Today, I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have the link that shows the different prices and what you get for it. I even dl the software to see if I could come up with it that way but stll can't find it.

Thanks
Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula AnneView Post
Hi All....thank you so much for the info. I was on the pc on Friday and found the page that listed the different memberships. Today, I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have the link that shows the different prices and what you get for it. I even dl the software to see if I could come up with it that way but stll can't find it.

Thanks
Paula
I think you have to download the software (which is free on the silhouette website) and then you can go to their store and see all off the different things they have. I have several different designers that are my favs! They also have the basics too. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula AnneView Post

Thanks
Paula
HERE you go!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Sizzix has software, too.

Let me toss in here that the Sizzix eclips has software that lets you use SVGs, too. eCAL works on Windows and Macs. Sizzix doesn't have their own cut file store, but there are plenty out there like SVG Cuts, SVG Attic, mygrafico, etc.

So one could say that the Sizzix gives you the "best" of both worlds, cartridges, downloadable, and creating your own files.

Many people are having problems with the Cameo's new blade system. The company is being good about sending people replacement blades, though.

The eclips uses a laser to manually detect registration marks for print to cut. The Cameo automatically detects marks printed on the page.
Reply With Quote Likes