Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sewing Machine (for papercrafting) Advice Please

I've been thinking for a long time about getting a Janome Sew Mini, and was finally pushed over the edge by several friends to put it on my Christmas list. Then this morning I was looking at the online Costco ad and saw a small Brother machine that got me to thinking maybe I would be better off with something like that.

Janome Sew Mini - that link shows it at Home Depot (which cracks me up), but I know it's available lots of places. It does straight and zig zag stitches and weighs 5 lbs. ($56.99)

Brother sewing machine - at Costco. It does 25 different stitches (here's a link to see them) and weighs 11 lbs. ($89.99)

I'd love to hear opinions from anyone who already sews on cards. Here are my particular concerns so it might help narrow down your advice:
  • I'm NOT a gadget person. I'm terrible at learning how something works. If someone can show me in person, then I'm good to go. If I have to read instructions then the tool usually just sits there. It's not even that I can't get the instructions, more that I won't even try to read them.:rolleyes: This is why I have not gotten a Janome up to this point.
  • Storage - I really don't know where I'll find room to store a sewing machine (even a little one) and once I find a place for it, will it be a big pain to get it out and use it?
  • I do NOT currently sew. I did take Home Ec in Jr High and even made myself a dress in college. That being said, I never liked to sew and haven't touched a machine in many years. So even if I had a machine with more capabilties I doubt I'd ever really make anything like clothing or home decor.
  • On the other hand I LOVE the look of sewing on cards and feel like I'm missing out! All the fancy stitches on the Brother look like so much fun!
So....would your advice for my Christmas list be to

a. ask for the Janome
b. ask for the Brother
c. ask for jewelry because sewing on cards will go out of style soon and you're never going to learn how to use either of those machines anyway!

TIA for your input!!!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh my goodness, Jami! you're too funny (love your avatar pic)

I recently broke down & got the Janome Sew Mini and am wondering why I hadn't sooner! Unlike you, I like to sew. Wish I had done it in high school (like took home ec but I didn't). However, once out of high school, I've nearly been on a mission to learn something new each year and one year it was sewing so I paid for a class at Joann's Fabrics. It was great and I was ahead of the class (and also made a dress) and went on to make more. Years later I even made some simple baby blankets and the other day an old friend who I made one for 2 of her daughters when they were born sent me a message on FB that they still sleep with them (they are about 6 and 8 yrs old now I think) isn't that special? This year I am making Raider scarves for my BILs who are fans (they came out pretty nice) I digress...

I think since you're NOT a gadget person and you don't particularly like sewing, the Janome (less expensive and least amt of stitches and bells & whistles to frustrate you) will most likely be your best bet). Plus, the light weight (and size of the janome sew mini makes it easy to make room in your craft space however small it may be, to have it out & ready to use at all times! I have a small space, it's on a tv tray next to my chair with my acrylic blocks and coloring stuff. All I have to do is move to in front of me, plug it in and I'm ready to go. The cords & stuff are under the tv tray and on top is all my threads & bobbins.

on the other hand, that is a LOT of stitches on the Brother - I kinda wish I'd have known about that before I bought my Janome!

Gina K. has 4 great sewing videos** at STV that were SO helpful to me when I got mine even though I already knew how to sew, it was a great refresher course). They are basic set up (she shows you step-by-step from when you take it out of the box!) to threading the bobbin to the actual sewing.

Jodi Morrow has a few great tutorials on her blog about sewing around the corners that was helpful.

One thing I noted (because I got frustrated not having the tension down at first) is that the G zigzag stitch tension should be at 4 and the straight stitch at about 1-2.

I am having a lot of fun putting different colored threads on my card (attaching a chocolate one and a gold one for your reference). I want to SEW on EVERY card I make right now!

HTH!
Attached Thumbnails
Sewing Machine (for papercrafting) Advice Please-silent-night.jpg   Sewing Machine (for papercrafting) Advice Please-peace-dove.jpg  
Gina K. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm, I *was* totally content with my Janome... thanks a lot, Jami. :mrgreen:

I do think that you would be perfectly content with the Janome. There are plenty of tutorials available if you have any issues. It's very user friendly, and it's so lightweight. I consider mine totally put away when it is in the floor right under my desk. It's always plugged in and ready to go when I pick it up and set it at my desktop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbaker3
One thing I noted (because I got frustrated not having the tension down at first) is that the G zigzag stitch tension should be at 4 and the straight stitch at about 1-2.
Thank you, Donna! Great info!

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Jami,

First of all, option three made me spew my arnold palmer all over the place! LOL

Secondly, I have a Singer machine, got it around 10 years ago or so....for doing minor clothing repairs, I did sew felt sports banners for a while when the kids were little, or basic straight stitch sewing. I, too, took Home Ec back in the day and frankly can't remember wearing a thing I sewed. So I am not a seamstress by any stretch of the imagination. Patterns, forgetaboutit! LOL

I do like to sew on cards occasionally, but due my space restrictions, the machine is in the hall closet and when I need it I drag it out to the kitchen table. If and when I ever get a room, I'll at least have a sturdy place to keep it out full time, plugged in. But for now, it's fine in the cupboard.

A tip Lisa (Zappa) told me was to keep clear thread on a bobbin and in the machine at the ready, that way you never have to really match or change out unless you want another color.

The most difficult thing for me back in the day, was threading the machine and getting the bobbin working correctly. Now that's a piece of cake. I generally use just a straight stitch, but sometimes will switch to zig zag.

If I didn't already have the Singer, I probably would get the Jenome - because of its size and weight. It does the only stitches I do anyway. Do any of the girls up your way have one you can look at?

Oh, another thing, if you alternate between paper and material, switch out your needle. Paper sewing is heck on the needles!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

lol, love my janome mini.
hancock had it on sale for like 39.99 and I got it ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Here are my thoughts:

Since you're only thinking of using this for paper crafting, not really going to be getting into using it for sewing projects, I'd save money and go with the Janome.

What looks best to me on cards are straight and zig zag, I think that adding all those other stitches will make you feel like you need to use them, and will probably end up making your projects look too busy. My Pfaff only does straight and zig zag and that's what I use for my sewing projects, so I think you'll be perfectly happy with just those stitches for paper crafting. ;)

You'll be able to port it easier, and store it easier than a full size machine. You will go thru needles like Val said, paper dulls them out faster than fabric.

And you can still get a jewelry piece with the difference you'll save between the two. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am newly obsessed with sewing on my cards, and I can't believe I waited SO long to try it out! I already had a sewing machine from my MIL a few Christmas' ago, and it's a pretty straighforward Kenmore (I think from Sears???). If I didn't have this one, I would probably go with the Janome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I very much appreciate everyone's input and tips! You know me...More is More...so when I saw the Brother it kind of threw me for a loop, but you're all probably right that the Janome would be more than adequate for me.

So how long do you think sewing on cards will be in style? LOL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterPixieView Post
Here are my thoughts:

And you can still get a jewelry piece with the difference you'll save between the two. ;)

See...I knew there was a reason I liked you!;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my janome mini. It is easy to work with, isn't too big and not too heavy. I don't really enjoy sewing fabric, but I love the look and feel of sewing on cards, and this one is just perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #11  
Postapalooza Mama

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd go with c, & faux stitching.:p:eek:;)

Seriously, if you're intent on getting a machine for sewing on cards, I think the Janome will fit your needs. Nope, I don't it. I've done lots of sewing over the years, after taking Home Ec in HS, & I've owned a few different machines. The one I have now is an expensive one with lots of bells & whistles that I inherited from my Mom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I have a Brother, and I adore it...I bought it for quilting originally (ha! there's a failed hobby if ever there was one) and have subsequently used it for card making...I find it simple to use, and enjoy having the different stitch types to add an embellishment here or there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have been sewing since I was a kid (grandmother was a seamstress). I still sew quite a bit. When my boys were younger I would make their Halloween costumes every year. I would make myself a dress or a blouse, not a problem. Curtains, no troubles there. Sewing on a card, PROBLEM. I don't know what it is but I can not sew on a card to save my life. I will have to check out the links Donna had posted so I can learn a new technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Jami, I think you'd be plenty pleased with the Janome. Straight and zig-zag are all the stitches I use in my papercrafting. Plus, with it's light weight I think you'd be more likely to use it. When I didn't have a place to keep my big Singer machine out and had to drag it out of the closet, I usually never would!

Oops, I just noticed something -- I think the Janome does not have a built-in light but the Brother does? That might be a big consideration -- if you go with the Janome, you'll want to have it near a good light source. Honestly, I think that might be my deciding factor if I were choosing between the two and knowing how much I need a good light source (and reading glasses in order to thread the needle)!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Janome Sew Mini was a money pit and a total lemon. I keep meaning to Craig's List it and get it the heck out of here. I got it at an LSS, who demoed it for me. When I got mine home, it sewed for a day and then ran amok. I brought it back to the store, who tried to fix it, couldn't, and wouldn't swap out a different machine for it. I got to send it back to Janome at my cost and had to include $ for return shipping. I got it home and it was fine for two days, and then started doing the shaggy back routine.

I'd go with the Brother.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Anywhere else besides Hancock Fabrics and Home Depot that will ship to Canada?
our Home Depot here does not sell them and neither Home Depot nor Hancock Fabrics will ship to Canada. I tried to see if they would let me arrange for a courier and so, I am plum out of ideas but would like one soooo baaadddd...

i tried ebay but they are all refurbished and even though I would still buy it, they want $75.00 for shipping for the $30.00 item (?!?)

Any ideas out there for us Canadians? I have no family or friends in the US and not planning a trip there until next year...

any ideas or suggestions are most appreciated!!

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I dont sew on cards, i actually sew clothing and home decor. I own a janome serger and a janome sewing machine. I would recommend Janome products. These machines are made to last, i never used a brother or a singer. But I would stay away from Singer. Unless its really old, The new ones arent so great. Hancocks is having a Columbus day sale next week, You may just want to wait and go there. They have online shopping too!

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Mini-S...3VVviewcat.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the Janome and love mine. No, it doesn't have a light on it, but I just use my OTT lamp. I'd definitely wait and get it when it's on sale at Hancock Fabrics web site for $39 and free shipping though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathiRView Post
My Janome Sew Mini was a money pit and a total lemon. I keep meaning to Craig's List it and get it the heck out of here. I got it at an LSS, who demoed it for me. When I got mine home, it sewed for a day and then ran amok. I brought it back to the store, who tried to fix it, couldn't, and wouldn't swap out a different machine for it. I got to send it back to Janome at my cost and had to include $ for return shipping. I got it home and it was fine for two days, and then started doing the shaggy back routine.

I'd go with the Brother.
did you check the tensions? Maybe the bobbin wasnt threaded properly?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperSharonView Post

Oops, I just noticed something -- I think the Janome does not have a built-in light but the Brother does? That might be a big consideration -- if you go with the Janome, you'll want to have it near a good light source. Honestly, I think that might be my deciding factor if I were choosing between the two and knowing how much I need a good light source (and reading glasses in order to thread the needle)!!
Good to know, I NEED the light too! And it's still a guess as to if the thread is going to hit the hole on the first try (even with my glasses on! LOL). I do like having the light at the stitch source.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

I have the janome mini and love it. So another vote for janome...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 04:01 AM   #22  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jami, you have every concern I do. I could have written that post. thank you. All good info. My big question, too, is how long will it be a fad and will I get my money's worth.
I tried hand stitching never again!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

This thread has been so helpful. I was looking to buy a sewing machine also... or put one on my christmas wish list! I think I'm going with the Janome Sew Mini.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I stitched my very first "real" card the other day with the Janome and it was a piece of cake! I don't even sew I hope mine doesn't crap out because it is pretty fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my Janome for a long time now and I use it all the time. Mine is running like silk. I got mine on sale at Hancock when it was $39.99. I've spent more than that on a couple of punches that I NEVER use and this thing gets used a lot.

I even used mine to take in a dress for my daughter and to fix a few seams. LOL! I used to have a $4000.00 Pfaff high-tech sewing machine and this thing does the job just a well.

It certainly doesn't have lots of buzzers and whistles but for sewing on cards, you don't need them. I also use my OTT light and it's fine as far as being able to see.

Love my little Janome.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 03:55 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok here's a question....I want to get the Janome....more especially now I have read a bit here....

Gina ....I have watched your stuff on stamp tv.....now the question

WHICH one? There are actualy TWO Janome Sew Minis out there....yours Gina...and a updated version????

http://www.sewingmachines.com.au/minisewingmachine.html (like Gina's)

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...i_sku=11718195 (Same thing newer model)

I really really want one...but now I know there is an updated version I am totally interested in it...except I was thinking of following Gina's lessons on it...like word for word...and maybe I can't with this newer version.

Anyone out there got the newer one...know how to use it...and can help with info....

or

do I just get the other model and live peacefully with Gina's hard work already done for me?

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 05:29 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

It is kinda nice having the same machine as others because I know if I have a problem, I can come here and get help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...dingMethod=rr#

I love the singer brand myself. Don't know anything about this - but was thinking about getting it to save space on my work table and put my big sewing machine back on my sewing cabinet.

I just put a tag in my gallery that has sewing on it. How long will sewing on cards be around? Five more years. Just kidding - lol... no clue.

Good luck. I hope you will let us know when you post your first "sewn card".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've got the same one Gina uses on her videos and I love it. I also got it from Hancock during a sale for $39.99. I had a few issues at the start but they were totally my fault as I've never sewed and had to do with tension. I just kept trying and now.... smooth sailing! (or sewing actually)

My blog
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
Jami, you have every concern I do. I could have written that post. thank you. All good info. My big question, too, is how long will it be a fad and will I get my money's worth.
I tried hand stitching never again!!!
my questions exactly! but I love the look of it! I think I'm sold on the Janome.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
Ok here's a question....I want to get the Janome....more especially now I have read a bit here....

Gina ....I have watched your stuff on stamp tv.....now the question

WHICH one? There are actualy TWO Janome Sew Minis out there....yours Gina...and a updated version????

http://www.sewingmachines.com.au/minisewingmachine.html (like Gina's)

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...i_sku=11718195 (Same thing newer model)

I really really want one...but now I know there is an updated version I am totally interested in it...except I was thinking of following Gina's lessons on it...like word for word...and maybe I can't with this newer version.

Anyone out there got the newer one...know how to use it...and can help with info....

or

do I just get the other model and live peacefully with Gina's hard work already done for me?

Michelle
Michelle,
As far as threading and bobbin winding, I would bet there is NO difference. In fact, every machine I have ever had works pretty much the same way. I also don't think the newer model has anything I would need for card making. Pretty color, though. I think either way you go, my videos will apply.
Hugs,
Gina

Reply With Quote Likes