Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Sequins & Jewels Picker (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/sequins-jewels-picker-642747/)

TexasGrammy 10-20-2022 03:45 PM

Sequins & Jewels Picker

Hey friends! My We R Memory Keepers QuickStik is on it's last bitty portion of stick'em. It should not have run out this soon IMO.

What is your favorite pickup tool for sequins & gems? I need to put one in a shopping cart this Fall. ;-)

pepperann 10-22-2022 03:42 PM

That's so funny--mine is too. I see Gina K just came out with one (Pick and Stick tool--currently out of stock) and I like how it looks, but am interested in what others say about there's too.

Paula O. 10-23-2022 07:11 AM

Stampin Up has a tool called Take Your Pick.

Scrapjanny 10-23-2022 07:35 AM

I'm still using my clear resist crayon that you get in Easter egg decorating kits. It's been working great for me for years!

TexasGrammy 10-23-2022 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny;[url=tel:22206894
22206894[/url]]I'm still using my clear resist crayon that you get in Easter egg decorating kits. It's been working great for me for years!

Now that’s quite some repurposing!

wavejumper 10-23-2022 08:41 AM

I too will be interested to see what comes up...

There was one that was expensive and a lot of people were gaga over it but I cant remember now which one...big barrel handle, double ended...and I want to say it was like 30 bucks? Few years ago...I dont see it now.

I have a marvy one that is double ended and like 4.50 at walmart. This is a single ended.

https://uchida.com/products/jewel-picker

If I am doing sequins I just use my reverse tweezers. They are hard with rhinestones-they can slip and go popping off into the universe never to be seen again until you step on it one day in bare feet lol

I had one that used sticky something that exuded out-definitely ran out way too fast and I would not do it again.

I was thinking about the studio katia-that is a wax tip and about 9 bucks at SSS. But yet another tip replacement thing and does not seem to come with a cover so is that going to get dusty too? Plus it could leave residue?

Bead tools or nail art tools may also be places for us to look......

fl_beachbum 10-23-2022 01:02 PM

I purchased the Studio Katia one and really like it! It does not seem to leave a residue on anything; I would see it if it did because the tip of mine is black and I use a lot of clear embellishments of all kinds.

I haven't noticed mine collecting dust and I've had mine for well over a year. I do keep it in a little drawer with my other tools when I'm not using it, but I use it just about every time I craft, so it's out a lot. It's also helpful for picking up little bits of paper (in case you enjoy paper piecing or working with die cuts).

lovinpaper 10-23-2022 01:23 PM

Margot, I think the expensive one is the Crystal Katana. It is still close to $30 at Amazon.

I have never had one of these tools. I just use my pokie tool and move the sequin around then land it in my glue or glue dot. I should invest in a tool as it would be easier.

contrapat 10-23-2022 02:14 PM

Bev,

I buy a multi-pack of cheap from China wax pencils. They make great tools for handling stuff like sequins and tiny gems. If you search ebay for them try "wax picker pencils" in crafts. You can 10 for $5.24 currently.

PMR 10-24-2022 12:47 AM

Ctmh has what looks like a long wax crayon https://www.closetomyheart.com/retai...15679&ci=22448

KC Hadley 10-26-2022 02:03 AM

Love my Katana... have had it for probably 10 years, and it still works great.

skm330mks 10-26-2022 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbum (Post 22206938)
I purchased the Studio Katia one and really like it! It does not seem to leave a residue on anything; I would see it if it did because the tip of mine is black and I use a lot of clear embellishments of all kinds.

I haven't noticed mine collecting dust and I've had mine for well over a year. I do keep it in a little drawer with my other tools when I'm not using it, but I use it just about every time I craft, so it's out a lot. It's also helpful for picking up little bits of paper (in case you enjoy paper piecing or working with die cuts).

I use this one too and love it!! PLUS it's beautiful!! You can get refills too.

marilynmac 10-26-2022 07:32 AM

I use a nail tool with the wax tip when I craft at home. However, I needed an inexpensive tool to use with some senior ladies and ordered a set of the wax pencils. They are working just fine and are a great substitute for the more expensive tools. I've also used little birthday candles in a pinch!

Theresa Romani 10-26-2022 10:27 AM

I have the Stampin' Up Tool-in-One, but I am looking at the Marvy "Jewel Picker," recommended by Jennifer McGuire.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spl...1dee1c3e3b.png

cilla16 10-26-2022 02:06 PM

I have had the Crystal Katana for about 10 years I keep it in the case and it still works great. Before that I had bees wax drops on a toothpick and they worked great also I would try the china marker before I invested 30 dollars today unless your doing those bead pictures or using tons of sequins!

fl_beachbum 10-26-2022 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=Theresa Romani;22207487]I have the Stampin' Up Tool-in-One, but I am looking at the Marvy "Jewel Picker," recommended by Jennifer McGuire.
QUOTE]

I had that one first and found that in just a few months it lost it's sticky. I tried rinsing it with water, washing it with a little bit of water and dawn dish soap - nada. You'll notice she doesn't use it in her more recent videos.

Theresa Romani 10-26-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

I had that one first and found that in just a few months it lost it's sticky. I tried rinsing it with water, washing it with a little bit of water and dawn dish soap - nada. You'll notice she doesn't use it in her more recent videos.
Good to know!

gregzgurl 10-26-2022 07:36 PM

Minimalist/cheapo here - beeswax on a toothpick. :)

Cre8ive Mind 10-26-2022 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=fl_beachbum;22207537]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Theresa Romani (Post 22207487)
I have the Stampin' Up Tool-in-One, but I am looking at the Marvy "Jewel Picker," recommended by Jennifer McGuire.
QUOTE]

On the website they recommend using tape to remove oil and dust, and if that doesn't work buff lightly with a bit of fine sand paper. That should bring it back to sticky....Haven't needed to try it yet myself. I use this tool but also just use bent tip tweezers (not the super pointy ones though).

papercrafter40 10-27-2022 07:56 AM

Sasha Reade uses a chopstick with a wad of blue tack on the end for her pick-up tool. Super cheap & easy to replace the blue tack if it loses its stick. I have the Crystal Katana. I got it some years ago at Hobby Lobby when they still had their 40% coupons. It saved me about $10, so I figured it was worth it. I started with the Marvy Jewel Picker, but mine lost its stick - on BOTH ends! - & nothing I did would restore it. So I sadly chucked it & got the Crystal Katana. My only complaint about the Crystal Katana is the wax tip hardens & won't stick to things. I solve the problem by just rolling the tip rapidly in my hands for several seconds to warm & soften it. Other than that, I think it works pretty well. I kind of wonder if other such tools, like the Studio Katia one or Gina K's have the same issue. Anyway, I would say Sasha's solution is probably the cheapest I've ever seen. Just my two-cents' worth. :)

wavejumper 10-28-2022 06:30 AM

Oh good...I thought I had imagined the expensive tool. Thanks! LOL Yes that is it. I thought it was the bamboo handle but they have another one same price too.

I might go with the studio katia wax tip. Wish it had a cap. I like paper piecing so I have more reason and a wider handle is good for me for grip stability.

Good tip on the warming it up Andrea! Thanks!

thescpells 11-02-2022 04:56 AM

Another “repurposed” item I’ve used are the little wax sticks you usually have when you get metal braces (do they even do those anymore?). I think you can purchase them at Walmart or a pharmacy.

TexasGrammy 11-06-2022 02:19 PM

Love the many suggestions & comments on lasting quality. The QuickStik (WeRMK) doesn't offer refills, and it didn't even last a year, so once this bitty smidge of sticky putty goes, I must move on. My vision no longer works so well with tweezers vs. sequins, so a sticky tool just helps me better.
Thanks to everyone!

browpr 11-07-2022 03:19 AM

I did a comparison video:
I compared

Crystal Katana VS QuickStick VS Marvy Jewel Picker VS Colored Pencil

hbrown 11-07-2022 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browpr (Post 22209730)
I did a comparison video:
I compared

Crystal Katana VS QuickStick VS Marvy Jewel Picker VS Colored Pencil

Colored pencils?!?! Who knew!!! Thank you for this great video!

TexasGrammy 11-07-2022 03:18 PM

Thanks a bunch for the video comparison, Queen Pam!
Your Quick Stik responds just like mine has. I never realized there might be tools that release the bling!
I have ordered the Studio Katia, which appears to have a large tip much like the Crystal Katana with a lesser cost. I hope it works as well as your CK!
Thanks again!

lovinpaper 11-07-2022 03:56 PM

Queen Pam, thank you for the review video. I may try the pencil. I basically use my fingers, which doesn’t work as well as the pencil looks to work.

contrapat 11-07-2022 04:48 PM

That's not a "colored" pencil- it's the wax pencil I mentioned earlier- look close and you'll see the Chinese characters running down the side. They are currently $5.24 for ten, just got mine in the mail last week. Each will last for years, sharpen when necessary.

lovinpaper 11-07-2022 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapat (Post 22209899)
That's not a "colored" pencil- it's the wax pencil I mentioned earlier- look close and you'll see the Chinese characters running down the side. They are currently $5.24 for ten, just got mine in the mail last week. Each will last for years, sharpen when necessary.

Thank you for clarifying. I saw those on Amazon.

contrapat 11-08-2022 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaper (Post 22209906)
Thank you for clarifying. I saw those on Amazon.

It was her error- I don't think a plain colored pencil would work, since the lead is harder than the wax pencil. I didn't want anybody to rush to buy something that wasn't going to work. I can guarantee the wax pencil works fine (and they're CHEAP!)