Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2022, 08:48 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default SU Mini Cut/Emboss machine

Is there a SU Demo in the group (or anyone that owns one of these) that can answer a couple of questions?
1 - are the plates the same thickness as the full size plates?
2 - the catalog says it comes with all the plates to get started - but what does that really mean?
3 - I understand that the magnetic plate would be optional, and extra cutting plates are optional until needed, but do you really need the optional embossing plate package to do any embossing?
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2022, 11:29 AM   #2  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

I’m not a demo, but I’ll try to answer your questions.
1. The cutting plates are the same thickness as those I purchase for my Big Shot.
2. The plates included are the base plate, two cutting plates, a thin shim plate for using with 3D embossing folders, and a thicker shim plate for using with regular thickness embossing folders.
3. No extras needed, as they come with the machine. The extras are for replacement purposes for if/when your first set is worn out.

The plates come with instructions printed on the base plate and embossing plates, though this ink will soon rub off. There is also a paper quick start guide included, which shows a 3-year limited warranty from date-of-purchase for the machine. I don’t think I’ve seen that detail posted anywhere, so another good-to-know detail when considering a purchase.
This machine/plates seem to me like a smaller size and version of the ever popular Spellbinder machine.
On a personal note, the size is nice, it does fold up, so doesn’t take up much space, but it doesn’t lock to my work surface like my Sidekick does, so hasn’t been used as much as I thought I would use it. If it were my only machine, I’d use it more. I prefer a machine that doesn’t slide around or require a two-handed grip to use. There are lots of you-tube videos of demonstrators using the mini. If you haven’t watched any of those videos, I would recommend you do so.
I hope my answers have been helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Turkey1969 (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 10:15 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkstamperView Post
I’m not a demo, but I’ll try to answer your questions.
1. The cutting plates are the same thickness as those I purchase for my Big Shot.
2. The plates included are the base plate, two cutting plates, a thin shim plate for using with 3D embossing folders, and a thicker shim plate for using with regular thickness embossing folders.
3. No extras needed, as they come with the machine. The extras are for replacement purposes for if/when your first set is worn out.

The plates come with instructions printed on the base plate and embossing plates, though this ink will soon rub off. There is also a paper quick start guide included, which shows a 3-year limited warranty from date-of-purchase for the machine. I don’t think I’ve seen that detail posted anywhere, so another good-to-know detail when considering a purchase.
This machine/plates seem to me like a smaller size and version of the ever popular Spellbinder machine.
On a personal note, the size is nice, it does fold up, so doesn’t take up much space, but it doesn’t lock to my work surface like my Sidekick does, so hasn’t been used as much as I thought I would use it. If it were my only machine, I’d use it more. I prefer a machine that doesn’t slide around or require a two-handed grip to use. There are lots of you-tube videos of demonstrators using the mini. If you haven’t watched any of those videos, I would recommend you do so.
I hope my answers have been helpful.
Exactly what I wanted to know! Sorry for the delayed response.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
ozarkstamper (11-03-2022)