Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? about movers & shapers

I am trying to compare the SU movers & shakers bigz die with the following one at JoAnn's

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...DID=xprd955265

The picture in the catalog does not show the opening size for the movable pieces. I have tried searching the forums but get database error.

I would love any help in comparing the two. If you have a pic of the SU die that you could forward to me that would be awesome.

Thanks so much!!

For You, O Lord, have made me glad by what You have done, I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands. Psalm 92:4
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "mover & shaper" part -the big die with the opening is exactly the same base as the one you can order from SU. The difference is the little die- the one from Joanns is going to cut little window panes where the one from SU cuts out the Curly Label punch piece. Also the separate new dies that SU sells WILL work with the Joanns die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Colleen!! I have a gift card from JoAnns and would like to use it to get the large die and then be able to purchase the speciality pieces from SU. Blessings!

For You, O Lord, have made me glad by what You have done, I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands. Psalm 92:4
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 267 Likes on 112 Posts

Jan -- One note on your plan: The only way to get the curly label die for the Movers and Shapers is to buy the set from SU. The small curly label die is not available from SU on its own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
Jan -- One note on your plan: The only way to get the curly label die for the Movers and Shapers is to buy the set from SU. The small curly label die is not available from SU on its own.
Oops., I forgot to mention that as well. That is the one draw back with getting the base die elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought one of the movers and shapers dies from Joann's because the price is so much better than SU. If you notice, there are several different ones on the website. I have the horizontal with the 4 little squares. It looked like some of the others didn't have as large of an "opening" but I couldn't tell for sure. I don't know how big the SU oepening is but mine is 5.5 inches by 4.25 inches at the top of the die. I would imagine the bottom where you put the pieces is just slightly smaller. You can also buy extra pieces from Joann's and I bought the flower and wavy window. The wavy window looks like the curly label but it is no where near as nice. If I had it to do again, I would still buy the mover's and shapers and the extra daisy but not the wavy window.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I bought two of those from JoAnn's - the vertical and the horizontal. Big mistake on the horizontal; if you get one, make sure it's the vertical (opening @ top vs. the side). The horizontal makes a mini card; the card is only as tall as the die is wide (think of the die as having lots of extra space on either end with the cutting part centered in a little space in the middle).

As far as size, my vertical is a full 1/4" smaller all around than the SU one I used at my demo's house (opening too). My guess is they're supposed to be the same size, but, at least in my case, there's a slight diff.

The upside is that I got it for about 1/2 the price that SU charges, so I'm okay with the rest.

I do miss the curly label die, but I got the others out of the catalog, so that's good enough. Besides, I'm curious about the new shape die in the mini that looks so similar to the curly label. If SU releases that shape in a punch (and stamps, you know the drill), I won't miss the curly label die after all.

HTH.

++++++++++++++

Hey, I'm back with the measurements in case anyone finds them useful; again, these are from JoAnn's. Outside measurements of die-cut card are precisely:

side-opening: A2 4 x 5 1/4"
top-opening: 3 1/4" x 4 3/4"

Last edited by binx; 09-14-2009 at 04:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks everyone! I ordered the large die from JoAnn's and will use the money I saved to purchase the small pieces only sold by SU. Have a great evening!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyfuljanView Post
Thanks everyone! I ordered the large die from JoAnn's and will use the money I saved to purchase the small pieces only sold by SU. Have a great evening!
Sounds like a plan and I'm sure that your SU demonstrator will be happy to order the smaller dies for you :p
Reply With Quote Likes