Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Round Wooden Clothespins

Does anyone know where I could get a bunch of these (and for a decent price)?? I specifically want the *round* ones b/c I want to wrap all my loose ribbon on them.

Also FYI I'm in Canada so that makes it a little more difficult!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2007, 08:33 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

I used to do clothespin angels when I crocheted, and iirc I just got the packs of 20 or however many from the wooden sections in Lewiscraft, Walmart, or the local crafting store (not Mikes!). You can get them with and without the slide-on round bases that let you stand the clothespin up on end. I've never seen them in bulk, but if any store did carry such things in bulk in SK I would think it would be Gale's on Dewdney.

I've got some of my loose ribbons on clothespins and held in place with little elastics; not the most fabulous method but it's better than loose ribbons in baggies. Have you come up with a nifty way of holding the ribbons on?

I saw a way cool ribbon storage method someone on SCS linked to on 2peas. They had one of those spinning wire racks that the stores sell to store acrylic paints in, and the whole big wire rack was totally covered in regular clothespins wrapped in ribbon!! It just looked amazing! It looked like both ends of each ribbon were held in place by the closed clothespin, and the clothespins were clipped so that the wire went through one of the gaps in the clip part. You might get little fold lines all along your ribbon, tho, depending on how tightly you wind it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I plan on just using straight pins (w/ the little glass bead on the end) to hold the ribbons on the clothespins

Thanks Malhoumel!! I'm going to the city tomorrow so I will definitely check out WalMart *fingers crossed* that they have a bunch!!

I've seen ppl use the reg clothespins too and while I like the idea - I'd prefer to have the round ones - especially as I have a LOT of yardage on some of my ribbon (darn texasjodylynn and her ribbon shares!!!! ROFL!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I was just at Michaels and they had them. I think they were 3.99 a bag for around 25-30, can't remember.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseH
I was just at Michaels and they had them. I think they were 3.99 a bag for around 25-30, can't remember.
Were they in the same section they have all the wood stuff?? I'm going to Michaels for sure tomorrow (ribbon is on sale!!! LOL!) and it would be nice to save me a trip to WalMart
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

If I remember correctly, they were in the kids craft section area.......like with the pom poms and the like. They had two types of the peg type clothespins...1 like the old fashioned ones my mom used to use, and then what they called doll clothespins which seemed a little bigger..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyR
I plan on just using straight pins (w/ the little glass bead on the end) to hold the ribbons on the clothespins

Thanks Malhoumel!! I'm going to the city tomorrow so I will definitely check out WalMart *fingers crossed* that they have a bunch!!

I've seen ppl use the reg clothespins too and while I like the idea - I'd prefer to have the round ones - especially as I have a LOT of yardage on some of my ribbon (darn texasjodylynn and her ribbon shares!!!! ROFL!!!)
I used to pin the ends of my ribbon but have been having a problem with the pins rusting and leaving rust stains on my ribbon - guessing just from high humidity. I now avoid using pins...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtax
I used to pin the ends of my ribbon but have been having a problem with the pins rusting and leaving rust stains on my ribbon - guessing just from high humidity. I now avoid using pins...
ewwww that's not good . Thankfully living in the middle of the Prairies there is practically NO humidity so I doubt that will be a concern for me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine at the dollar store, 24 in a pkg for $1.00. I also got a pkg of 30 "doll pins" at Michael's with a coupon for $1.79. They were located in the crafting area not the other misc. small wood section. They are called "doll pins" because that is what people make with them, they have round heads and straight bodies (just like a round closepin) but are flat on the bottom so they can stand. Love them both for storing loose ribbon I have. I don't use pins to hold them either for the very same reason jtax stated above, I just use a very small piece of tape and it works fine. hth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 06:10 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Our Dollar Store in Alberta has both kinds, with the base and without. I almost grabbed a bunch, but didn't know how I would secure the ribbon end. I didn't want to use pins. Tape sounds too easy! LOL. I was thinking a glue dot? But then I would waste the end.

For those of you using the ones with the donut end, can you use that to secure the end of the ribbon, or is it too tight?

Amy - if you need some, let me know. I can get them for you and mail them out. I think they were $1.50 for a pack of 20 plain, or 10 with ends. Just let me know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Thanks you guys for all the info - I went to WalMart and they didn't carry them - but I DID find them at Michaels and ended up getting a couple bags of them - they were like 6.49 (CAN) for 30 which was way too much IMO but I NEEDED them ASAP!! My loose ribbon is taking over my stamp space!!!

Oh and they were the ones w/ just the flat ends.

I'm happy tho b/c I rarely do city trips (it's over an hour drive) and yet I got what I needed to get and can now start on organizing all my ribbon *gleeful grin*!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 04:54 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by laderme
For those of you using the ones with the donut end, can you use that to secure the end of the ribbon, or is it too tight?
It is a pretty snug fit on the ones I had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 05:54 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I picked some up yesterday, and quickly realized that it would take too much thinking to try and wrap the ribbon so it would fit exactly with the ring. Now to try different ways of securing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't started winding mine yet, but if you use the silk pins from Walmart that are nickel-plated, they shouldn't rust, should they????

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 06:48 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

[quote=laderme]Our Dollar Store in Alberta has both kinds, with the base and without. I almost grabbed a bunch, but didn't know how I would secure the ribbon end. I didn't want to use pins. Tape sounds too easy! LOL. I was thinking a glue dot? But then I would waste the end.

Amy - if you need some, let me know. I can get them for you and mail them out. I think they were $1.50 for a pack of 20 plain, or 10 with ends. Just let me know. [/quote]
How big are they?? I would want the ones W/out the ends on them. I used up ALL the ones I bought (at that ridiculous price!!) and will need a bunch more!! So lemme know!! The ones I got were 4" long - they are the flat ended ones meant for making dolls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2007, 05:48 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

You have a choice, they are both about 4" long. The ones without the donuts dont have a flat bottom, they are just the pins. The ones with the donuts are the ones that stand up. Sorry I cant give you a picture, my computer space is torn apart and I am limping along with my DDs laptop. Pm me if you want me to pick some up for you and I will happily do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Amy- do you have a hobby lobby near you? I just was there today, they are called doll pins in the doll section. They had bags of either 20 or 30 for 2.99 a for a bag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Amy, can you explain how you use the clothespins to hold your ribbon? I'm looking for a good way to store mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear
Amy, can you explain how you use the clothespins to hold your ribbon? I'm looking for a good way to store mine.
I just wrap all the ribbon around it (and I'm only using all my loose ribbon - everything that is on rolls STAYS on the rolls!!! :mregreen: )and the loose end I hold in place with a straight nickel-plated pin (I got a pack of thos in the sewing section at WalMart for like 2.00 for a pack of 300 pins).

As of right now I have all the clothespins w/ the ribbon on them stored by colors in big mason jars - but I either need to find more jars or bigger containers as most of them are pretty full (I used up over 120 clothes pins!!!!!! I have a lot of ribbon!).

Oh and no I don't have a hobby lobby near me - so far the ONLY place where I can find those doll pins is at Michaels and I bought out all the ones they had and who knows when they'll get more

I uploaded a pic of the ones I got too:
Attached Thumbnails
Round Wooden Clothespins-doll-pins.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks! That will work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes