Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spellbinders large dies need help soon

I purchased the Grand Calibur machine and the Creative Book Pages die. I had also purchased the black chipboard in an 8 X 8 size to use with these dies. After trying to use the chipboard I discovered they are going to be too thick to cut with the dies.

I then used some card stock but the cover for my 8 X 8 book is too flimsy. I am very disappointed after spending so many $ for this set up to do cute scrap books.

Has anyone used this Creative book page dies and if so What did you use for material for the cover of you book?

I called where I purchased the machine and dies and they said she had used regular cardstock. The business also recommended that I come here and post this question. You would think since they sell the products they would have more suggestions than thin cardstock.

I am in the middle of this project and sure could use some suggestions very soon.

Thank you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hi there - I moved your thread to our Tool & Product forum, where I'm sure you will get some help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you for moving this post. I had a hard time trying to find where to even start a new post. I really, really appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

No worries - sorry - it can be confusing at first - but feel free to contact me if you have any questions at all - I'm happy to help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lg56View Post
I purchased the Grand Calibur machine and the Creative Book Pages die. I had also purchased the black chipboard in an 8 X 8 size to use with these dies. After trying to use the chipboard I discovered they are going to be too thick to cut with the dies.

I then used some card stock but the cover for my 8 X 8 book is too flimsy. I am very disappointed after spending so many $ for this set up to do cute scrap books.

Has anyone used this Creative book page dies and if so What did you use for material for the cover of you book?

I called where I purchased the machine and dies and they said she had used regular cardstock. The business also recommended that I come here and post this question. You would think since they sell the products they would have more suggestions than thin cardstock.

I am in the middle of this project and sure could use some suggestions very soon.

Thank you.
Well, I have the Grand Caliber and the book pages dies. What I did was cut 2 layers of Cereal Box weight cardboard and glued them together with the picture part facing each other. Then I covered them with the paper and decorated.

Have you watched the videos on Donna Salazar's blog? She shows how she made a book using the Zutter Corrugated Board. There are 2 videos that show her making the mini book. Donna is the one that actually designed the dies for Spellbinders.

Hope that helps!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
Well, I have the Grand Caliber and the book pages dies. What I did was cut 2 layers of Cereal Box weight cardboard and glued them together with the picture part facing each other. Then I covered them with the paper and decorated.
Debbie, you are so clever and smart! I probably would not have thought of gluing with the pics facing. I would have just glued them together and then worried about the picture showing through my paper.:mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

How funny this is almost what I did except I only used one layer of cereal box material and then covered both sides with cardstock. Then I ran it through the Calibur.

I was hoping for a simpler method rather than having to cut and paste the cardstock on the cereal box and then wait for it to dry before cutting it out with my die.
There must be some sort of material I could buy that can be cut with the dies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I have been to Donna's site as this is where I first saw the idea and ordered my machine and die. I do not want to use the corrigated paper that she used. She had did another video using something else.

I do not have a fast internet connection and am not able to view the video again. I tried to find an e-mail or contact for her to ask this question of Donna but could not locate a contact for her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have the Creative Book Pages - yet - been debating, but I make mini books with the Grand Labels. Here's a suggestion: try the PTI 110# Kraft cardstock for your covers. It's wonderful and very reasonable. I buy the pkg. of 50. As others have replied, glue your diecut pp to both sides of the cover and you have something quite sturdy.

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Molly,

Where do you buy the cardstock. Is the order number PT1 I was just looking for some of the paperbag looking color at Michaels and my other craft store this week and did not find any.

Sorry, but what does diecut pp mean?

I would love to see some pictures of your books for some ideas. This is my very first book I am working on. You can e-mail if you would like.

Thanks,

Lora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Lora, sorry I confused you. PTI is Papertreyink, and here is the link to their cardstock. Scroll down a bit for the 81/2 x 11 Kraft cardstock. It's $9.00 for a pack of 50. It's the perfect weight if pattern paper is glued to both front and back. (You'll die cut the cover in Kraft, then die cut the paper once to cover the front and again to cover the back.

Papertrey Ink - Paper

Hope this helps

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Molly, thank you so much for the link and the information. I will post my album when I am finished. I am just putting the finishing touch on it. Trying to decide the last decor for the front corner of it.

Molly, what else do you use this kraft card stock for? Is the color ok to use for some of the album pages?

Do I just post it in the regular gallery? I have posted a several of my cards here in the gallery. Do you have any of your albums in the gallery?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I use this cardstock almost exclusively for layering - both when making mini books and for die cuts. I love the effect of die cut letters stacked once, twice, or even 3 times for a real chipboard look. A Spellbinders label looks especially good, I think, if it's adhered to a heavier card stock base. I don't use Kraft much for a background in scrapping ( I scrap 12x12). The Kraft 110 makes a nice folded base for cards too. But, again, I do a lot of die cutting, first with the Kraft, and then with the same shape or letter out of pattern paper which is then glued on top.

Molly

edited to add - I think the color is perfect to use alone for some of your mini book pages.

Last edited by MollyStamps; 04-02-2011 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Molly, thank you for the tips on doubling the cardstock for cutting out the labels with the dies. Do you tape these two pieces together or glue them. I used my new Spellbinder Blossom 4 for the label on the front of my book. It would have looked better doubled and I may redo it before sticking it on the front of the book.

I am going to order the kraft paper as I would like to use this for some of the pages. I buy the 110# pound white CS here locally 150 sheets for $7.00 can't beat this price. But my paper is too white for blank pages in a book. I could cover it as i did with several of these pages in this book.

I will also order the French Cream cardstock. I am waiting to hear back from them to see if the paper is textured or smooth finish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I am now going to upload my mini book to the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes