Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Removing adhesive? (remounting) (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/removing-adhesive-remounting-356435/)

*Alice* 06-17-2008 05:49 PM

Removing adhesive? (remounting)

I have searched the forums, and have not seen the answer to my question. How do you get the left over, super sticky adhesive off the back of the rubber? I hesitate to use a solvent because of the damage it might do to the stamp over time. Thanks for the help!

Deb Za 06-17-2008 06:06 PM

What I couldn't rub off--I used UnDu and it came off. A word of warning, though--rubbing them off with your fingers will result in blisters. Ask me how I know . . .

amyz2988 06-17-2008 07:53 PM

Is it bad to leave the super sticky stuff on before you remount it to the ez-mount? I've been leaving the super sticky stuff on because I figured it would bond with the other adhesive on the ez-mount. If there's a tiny layer of foam, I rub that off with my thumb (yes, I have a blister!), but the super sticky stuff I've been leaving because it's such a pain. Am I wrong?

*Alice* 06-18-2008 09:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

No one has any non-solvent suggestions?

ImAYoungin' 06-18-2008 01:19 PM

I wish someone would come up with a good idea because I need to find out too!

amyz2988 06-18-2008 05:20 PM

Bumping in hopes of getting an answer....

mungojerry 06-18-2008 05:40 PM

I tried several different things, UnDu, powder, soap and water, and rubbing with my fingers. If the adhesive is easy to remove, i.e. it isn't really sticky, just part of the adhesive and top layer of foam remain, I rub that off. If it's just super sticky, gooey adhesive, I leave it. So far, I've had no problems. :)

Mahloumel 06-19-2008 07:07 AM

On the packaging of some cling foam I got from CHF, it said *not* to use solvents, etc to clean residual adhesive off the back of red rubber. After you've removed it from the foam cushion, just put the rubber and any residual adhesive right on the cling foam. I've done it this way and have had no issues over the past few years -- the gummy-backed stamps on EZ Mount work just as well as the ones I've painstakingly removed all traces of adhesive from.

*Alice* 06-21-2008 09:02 AM

Thank you all for the responses!

It sounds like there is no magical answer. So, I am going to do what many of you suggested...not worry about the stickiest ones, and try an adhesive removed on the one that just will not come free from the foam otherwise.

luv my dolly 06-25-2008 06:51 AM

You could try the Adhesive Eraser that SU sells. It might work.:p

taiboo 06-25-2008 07:07 AM

why not just leave the foam on the back of the stamps??? I tried peeling off the foam and hated the "stiffness" of the stamp, with the foam on, atleast you get some "bounce" if that makes sense. :-)

love2stamps 06-25-2008 07:20 AM

Removing adhesive? (remounting)

Ask Beatte...maybe she has some suggestions

chocolate rose 06-25-2008 08:15 AM

Try using Goo Gone. Michael's usually has it. I have found it really good to remove unwanted glue from those nasty stickers (with the price on them) from all sorts of items, such as glass, wood, metal and even cloth. I use it with a small blob of cotton wool and it works really well. The cloth items would need to be washed but it does remove the glue.

bookworm73025 06-25-2008 10:46 AM

Unmounting Rubber Stamps

About 15 seconds in the microwave softens the adhesive and you can just peel the stamp & adhesive right off. The wood will get hot if you leave it in a little too long, so be careful when handling it. Experiment to see what works best for your microwave.

ececsy 06-25-2008 11:21 AM

I resolved this issue by just purchasing the cling vinyl instead of ez mount- just peel off the wood and stick to cling vinyl... so far so good. Gina K sells it.

stamps4me 06-25-2008 04:39 PM

I just leave the foam on it and use Aileen's tack it over and over as an adhesive. I place the glue right over the foam w/ adhesive, let it dry and store them on plastic.

Cyndi Evans 06-25-2008 07:31 PM

I have microwaved my stamps for a few seconds on high like 5...to get the stamp fof the wood..and then again back in there to soften the adhesive. I take a flat razor to the back of the rubber to help scrap off the adhesive..after getting a blister on my thumb!

love2stamps 06-26-2008 04:11 AM

cool...that makes work out...as i know Aileen's is really good

arubberstamper 06-26-2008 07:50 AM

I too am unmounting all my rubberstamps...what a long process it's been, I have two drawers completly empty and two basket fulls are now empty as well. I've been using the tack it over too and love the ease of it.

When I pull off my rubberstamp from the wood, either the foam comes off with it or I can just lift off the stamp from the foam. When I pull the stamp off the foam, it leaves a dry layer of the glue from the foam. I then use the tack it over and it works well and dries even.

I'm wondering what is one to do with all the wood left from the stamps. I have four bag fulls of wood. Dh say we can have one heck of a bond fire.

I don't know about the rest of you...But when I'm peeling off the rubber, I feel so guilty when looking at all the wood left behind. It's amazing how much space you have when the stamps aren't on wood. Anyone else feel guilty about the wood left behind. I think "wow, tress gave their lives for us stampers for our rubberstamps."

I do wish I would have started to unmount my rubberstamps a long time ago, I've been stamping almost as long as I have been married (26 yrs).
Any suggestions on what to do with all the wood we are leaving behind? Dh said to put them on ebay?
arubberstamper

Cre8tingMemories 06-26-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arubberstamper (Post 10311199)
I too am unmounting all my rubberstamps...what a long process it's been, I have two drawers completly empty and two basket fulls are now empty as well. I've been using the tack it over too and love the ease of it.

When I pull off my rubberstamp from the wood, either the foam comes off with it or I can just lift off the stamp from the foam. When I pull the stamp off the foam, it leaves a dry layer of the glue from the foam. I then use the tack it over and it works well and dries even.

I'm wondering what is one to do with all the wood left from the stamps. I have four bag fulls of wood. Dh say we can have one heck of a bond fire.

I don't know about the rest of you...But when I'm peeling off the rubber, I feel so guilty when looking at all the wood left behind. It's amazing how much space you have when the stamps aren't on wood. Anyone else feel guilty about the wood left behind. I think "wow, tress gave their lives for us stampers for our rubberstamps."

I do wish I would have started to unmount my rubberstamps a long time ago, I've been stamping almost as long as I have been married (26 yrs).
Any suggestions on what to do with all the wood we are leaving behind? Dh said to put them on ebay?
arubberstamper

I've seen fellow SCS's sell their wooden blocks in the Buy/Sell/Trade!!

love2stamps 06-26-2008 07:55 AM

you can put them on Ebay thats where i got the stamp woods order from seller.....hope that helps to start sell thru Ebay

CheriFurr 07-23-2008 09:22 AM

Hand Sanitizer

I know that regular hand sanitizer works to remove gummy junk left on your windshield when you try to scrape a new sticker off and put a new one on. If it works for that, it will probably work for anything!

kitty14 10-15-2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Alice* (Post 10202183)
I have searched the forums, and have not seen the answer to my question. How do you get the left over, super sticky adhesive off the back of the rubber? I hesitate to use a solvent because of the damage it might do to the stamp over time. Thanks for the help!

I use 91% alcohol. I let the stamp soak a few minutes and then rub it off with a paper towel soaked in the alcohol. * I tried the 70% but it does work work as well.

Then I wash the rubber off with clear water and dry.

phunkymama 10-15-2008 09:00 AM

I use this product. It's safe for my plastic, pricey machine embroidery hoops, so I figure it's safe for rubber too:
DK5