Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default layering oval dies

I'm blessed to have 5 sets of oval dies & none of them layer with each other! some of them fit together but they're not really proportionate. it doesnt help that numbers dont make much sense for.
can you help me find a set of plain oval dies to layer with this set?
https://www.spellbinderspaperarts.co...rs-collection/
& a decorative (but not stitched or too intricate) set for these dies?
https://ecstasycrafts.com/products/m...7edabd60&_ss=r
thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2022, 01:08 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

In my experience, mixing ovals between manufacturers rarely works. An oval is less specific than a circle or square, so there is no one size fits all. I think your best bet would be too see if other Spellbinder ovals match the first set.
The Nellie's ones look very elongated. Their scalloped dies look as if they might be the same proportion, but you'd need someone who actually has them, or a close comparison of sizes, to be sure.
https://ecstasycrafts.com/products/m...44a6f88a&_ss=r
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
cjzim (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 07:10 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 489 Likes on 307 Posts

I agree with Sabrina. Even the SU sets that are layering only work with each other...Every set of ovals I own ( and I am embarrassed to say how many I have) will only work with each other. I tried to determine if I could eliminate some dies or punches one time--so carefully measured all my circle dies and punched my circle punches.....results....I had over 50 measurements from largest to smallest and no two were the same. As Sabrina stated, every manufacturer uses different sizing

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

The other question in my mind is how wide of a border do you want for a layer?
Spellbinders came out with multiple sets...they will layer but it is a big border (1/8? 1/4? don't remember now). SB has what they call basic shapes (your set is in that category) with plain shapes...I might guess they would be ok with what you have?

Some people don't want more than 1/16th as a border.

I would email SB and ask them which of their sets goes with that set you have-they usually tell you with the product but are not with this set......and do the same with other brands you own bc as was said, ovals (and rectangles) can both get morphed into longer and thinner or squatter and wider....the best bet for matching is within a brand. Cant hurt to ask them AND find how how wide a border it will be-too wide and you may not want to spend the money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2022, 11:57 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I agree with everyone else that mix and matching nesting dies rarely works. That is the one rarity in this industry where you need to be brand name when buying.

My first ever Nestie's where Oval's, I had to buy two different Spellbinder's Nestie's sets to make them work with each other.

I know this is a headache. I know it definitely will not work for everyone. If you have a ScannCut you can Scan your oval in and then make a "nestie" to fit it. You can do this with your Cricut & Silhouette too but you will need a scanner and import it into your computer. By that time it would be just easier to create it in an graphic's program. The one exception would be the Silhouette but you would need the Scan Mat. I am just throwing this idea out here because I know somebody might need this for an emergency card making session, or doesn't have the money to spend on a new die set, etc....

You could trying contacting Spellbinder's and asking if they have a matching Nestie set to match yours.

I looked at Ecstasy's site and saw some ovals that were similar to the one's you are trying to match. I bet they would know if you can contact them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2022, 10:19 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

A long time ago I bought the spellbinders classic ovals in both the small and large sets. I have their scalloped, lacy and beaded sets that work with the classic sets. Then I bought the small and large sets of their petite ovals, which are a more slender shape. Not sure if Spellbinders made any fancy oval, but I did by a different brand that looks like the lacy style and they don't work. Besides that, I bought Spellbinders large mega ovals that don't nest with each other, but seem to work with the lace ovals of the other brand! Go figure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2022, 10:47 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I agree with everyone else that mix and matching nesting dies rarely works. That is the one rarity in this industry where you need to be brand name when buying.

My first ever Nestie's where Oval's, I had to buy two different Spellbinder's Nestie's sets to make them work with each other...
So were mine! I could cut squares easily with a scalpel, and I had a compass with a blade which would do circles, but the only option for ovals was cutting by hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lylacfey (01-31-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 03:26 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don’t mind hand cutting, you can trace the outside edge of your oval die to create the next size larger for the matt. Again, if you don’t mind hand cutting and want more size options, Paper Wishes (maybe others) used to sell a set of tiny tracing disks, that you put the tip of your pencil in, and then trace around anything as a template. They’re really quite brilliant, and work on any shape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

hi all! i prob should have started this way but in the end i got https://www.simplyspecialcrafts.com/...t-die-cutters/ and i found some discontinued spellbinders plain oval dies on ebay & they are the right proportions. hooray! thanks for your ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes