Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Re: ATG gun (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/re-atg-gun-227177/)

GIL 02-23-2007 12:35 PM

Re: ATG gun

I was all ready to purchase the gun from the framing supplies place-but had a major attack when I heard the price!! It is around $32 plus the tape plus shipping which ended up being a total of around $40!!! My hubby would kill me if I spent that on adhesive. Is it really worth it or is there a less expensive place. I don't know where I could just buy it locally in Missouri? Maybe Dick Blick art supply? Any suggestions?

mlehmer 02-23-2007 12:52 PM

Well, I tell ya, I was not happy with the price either so I searched and searched but could not find a cheaper source. The tape is so much cheaper at Framing Supplies if you really look at the amount you get. I am so happy that I broke down and got one. The rolls of tape last a long time and if you use allot then you won't be forever tearing it off the old fashioned way or using up a ton of the mono adhesive. It's just the initial cost that seems to hurt. Once you get over that hump and have the ATG gun then all you have to do is get the tape. Their service is excellent and lightning fast. I buy the tape by the box of 12 so that I don't have to buy it very often. I say go for it. You won't be sorry.

myrnabs 02-23-2007 02:13 PM

I second Michelle!! You might be able to try Dick Blick Art Supply, but I dunno if they carry them. Trust me your DH will be happy when he realizes that you are no long spending tons of money on MONO. Plus with the ATG gun NOTHING every comes apart. Let me add that lately my clarinet case was coming apart, and I used my ATG and OMG!! It's good as new!!! I'm extremely happy with my guns!!! GO FOR IT!!!

Mahloumel 02-23-2007 05:05 PM

A lady on SCS had a less-than-stellar customer service experience when she bought her ATG refills from a framing shop online; they messed up her address on two separate orders, she needed the refills in a timely fashion for a crafting deadline, and their response was "too bad, so sad, you'll have to wait much longer or shell out some more cash for us to send you some more to the correct address." I read about it in a thread here somewhere.

StampaLady 02-23-2007 05:14 PM

Hi, sorry but I just couldn't find that thread here but I read it somewhere here at SCS that one of the girl bought hers at www.findtape.com. It's not really the 3M's ATG gun but I think the're the same but different names only. The cost is $27.68. You may want to check that site. HTH.:D

KimberlyinMN 02-23-2007 05:19 PM

I really like the 918 ATG that I bought at framingsupplies.com. I also bought twelve rolls of the 987 tape.

If you do the math:
  1. The gun is actually a little more than 30% off the regular retail price. (My LSS sells this for $49.99!)
  2. The twelve rolls of tape (1/4" wide x 60 yards each) came to $28.20. The same amount of Scotch double-stick tape would cost me more than $80. (So I'm saving about $60!) I'm also not throwing away plastic dispensors when I've finished a roll of tape.
If you can swing it, order a larger amount of the tape when you order the gun. Shipping can be expensive but if you just order twelve rolls of the tape, it's something like $9. It's only a dollar or so more when you order the gun AND tape. When I ordered my gun and tape, my local enabler also had me order her twelve rolls of the tape, so we split the shipping.

Kimberly

KimberlyinMN 02-23-2007 05:21 PM

By the way, since I don't scrapbook, I didn't need the acid free tape. I went with the 987 tape. $2.35 a roll in quantities over 12.

Kimberly

LunaMom 02-23-2007 05:31 PM

I ordered my gun and 12 rolls of tape last night from the framingsupplies place. I was on Scrapbook Obsessions website and read so many rave reviews for this product I just had to get it. I dont want my cards or scrapbook pages falling apart and have been searching for a good adhesive. The ladies on this other site had many good things to say about this company too. Shipping did seem kindof expensive, around $9 but I got an email today telling me my order is on FedEx truck on its way here and I have a tracking number.

KimberlyinMN 02-23-2007 05:33 PM

Just wait until you see how it arrives!! They wrapped and wrapped and wrapped it all into one big bubble wrapped package! The delivery guy was so funny... "Were you expecting this to be packaged this way?" What a funny look on his face!

Kimberly

holo3850 02-23-2007 05:55 PM

I LOVE,LOVE my Scotch ATG 700, I just received yesterday the tape refills all wrapped in bubble wrap a million times LOL I thought when I order the gun and one tape refil I thought that was kinda weird to ship that way but then again I recevied the tape yesterday the same way LOL to funny!!! Anyways I love the gun yes it was a bit pricey . But it works very good!!!!

imataloss 02-23-2007 06:03 PM

What size would be the same as mono?

imataloss 02-23-2007 06:05 PM

Oh and I saw the gun with no tape @ pennywise.com for$65-00.....WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

Bluebear 02-23-2007 06:10 PM

mine comes tomorrow...my local store had it for over $60 - I got it at framing supplies..with 12 rolls...I can't wait! yahoo!

Bluebear 02-23-2007 06:12 PM

to answer your question... I shopped all over and they were the cheapest...dh encouraged me to get lots of tape so as not to have another shipment and more frieght costs later. I think overall it's a cost savings if you can swing it.

Suzanne 1964 02-23-2007 06:27 PM

ok, I am lost on this one; what is an ATG gun?

Suzanne 1964 02-23-2007 06:28 PM

Forgot to mention, went to Houston Regionals today and got a new stamp set from the upcoming new catalog called Double-Line Doodles! Cute stuff.

I will have to post it tomorrow unless someone else beats me tonite!

Suzanne

JanTInk 02-23-2007 06:41 PM

Dick BLick has ONE of the guns, it's more expensive and the tape costs twice as much as framingsupplies.com.

MSBetsyZ 02-23-2007 07:40 PM

Hold back one roll of mono and then order the ATG and several rolls. When dh sees the two side by side even he should be able to see how much more adhesive you get for the money with the ATG.

If you find the cost of the ATG dispenser too scary, it IS possible to use the adhesive without it. I did for many years. Takes a little hands on practice, but once you get it it's no big deal at all.

princess4101 02-24-2007 02:57 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my ATG ... I bought mine on line at hillas or something supplies.... don't know what it cost, didn't care.... the cost savings in adhesive per INCH alone is ENORMOUS!!! It is a snap to use, a snap to refill and I should work for scotch I have "sold" so many... worth EVERY penny! I use the 1/2 inch for big jobs and then switch to 1/4 inch with the adapter for finer work! get one today! they last forever and since they are so BIG, they NEVER get lost in the bottom of your tote!!!

KimberlyinMN 02-24-2007 05:27 AM

Since I don't use mono adhesive, I did a search on the internet to find a price. One dispenser of 1/3" x 472" is approximately $3.
One roll of 1/4" x 60 yards (2160") is $2.35 (when purchasing at least 12 rolls)

To buy enough mono adhesive tape to get the equivalency, you'd have to buy 4.5 dispensers at $13.73.

12 rolls of ATG tape = 25,920 inches of tape = $28.20
55 dispensers of mono adhesive = 25,960 inches of tape = $165

Very interesting! Show those numbers to any doubting husbands!! Okay, so you'd also have to add in the price of the Adhesive Tape Gun... (ATG) but that's still a $100 savings!!

Kimberly

GIL 02-24-2007 07:01 AM

You guys are wonderful!! Thanks everyone for the helpful info! I am still kind of confused though: I want the tape for cards and scrapbooking--so which # tape do I buy? I think I only need 1/4 inch-is the 1/2 inch better for scrapbooking? Also --what # tape is acid free? Thanks again!!

KimberlyinMN 02-24-2007 07:27 AM

The 908 Gold tape is the acid free stuff. The yellow ATG 700 gun uses 1/2" tape or if you buy the separate adapter, you can use 1/4" tape. The red ATG 718 gun uses 1/4" tape.

Kimberly

MSBetsyZ 02-24-2007 09:57 AM

If I had to to it all over again, I'd just go with the 1/4" dispenser. If I need 1/2" of adhesive, which is rare, I can just run a double line of adhesive. Since I already had a large supply of 1/2" (and even some 3/4"!!), I just went with the 700.

KimberlyinMN 02-24-2007 06:05 PM

I just realized I've been writing the wrong number gun.. I have the red 714. (I've either said it was a 918 or a 718.) Sheeeeeesh! Now that I've had a little caffeine at supper my mind is working again.

Kimberly

GIL 02-24-2007 10:53 PM

OK I think I've got it straight. I guess I will call and order on Monday. I read somewhere that it is hard to learn to use the gun at first? Is it different than using mono? Last question I promise!!

myrnabs 02-24-2007 10:57 PM

I never had any problems. It's as easy as 1-2-3 promise. Just follow the samples on the instructions and the rest is easy. They also have a video that shows you how to on their website. The video is very cowboyish, HTH ;)

Suzastampin 02-25-2007 03:46 AM

I have the red gun and love it! I bought both the cheap adhesive for cards and the gold for scrapbook pages. It's easy to switch the adhesives out. I did about 60 cards one day with a roll of the tape and still had a little left over. These had lots of layers, so, was thrilled to get that many out of a roll!
While the initial investment of $100 for the gun and 2 dozen rolls of tape was high, in the long run it will save me a ton of money!

Suz
http://www.suzastampin.com

Latte Da 02-25-2007 06:28 AM

Let me add how much I LOVE my little red gun and tell a little story. I agonized over buying it for months, asked for it for Christmas, didn't get it so bought it for myself a couple weeks ago.

I'm so in love with it. DH scrapbooks and uses TONS and TONS of adhesive. He can go though an entire roll of mono on just ONE page. When I fussed a bit at him for using so much and tried to show him how much to use, he got his feeling hurt and just QUIT scrapbooking!

Couple days after getting my little red gun loaded up, I showed DH how to use it AND told him the cost savings. Then I told him he could use it any time he wanted. Know what he did? Sat down that night and made a page. I was soooo happy!

PUGMAMA 02-25-2007 06:40 AM

I just wish it wasnt so big and bulky. Other than that, I love my gun too!

GIL 02-25-2007 07:17 AM

OK-I guess it will be ordered on Mon!! Thanks everyone.

mlehmer 02-25-2007 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latte Da
Let me add how much I LOVE my little red gun and tell a little story. I agonized over buying it for months, asked for it for Christmas, didn't get it so bought it for myself a couple weeks ago.

I'm so in love with it. DH scrapbooks and uses TONS and TONS of adhesive. He can go though an entire roll of mono on just ONE page. When I fussed a bit at him for using so much and tried to show him how much to use, he got his feeling hurt and just QUIT scrapbooking!

Couple days after getting my little red gun loaded up, I showed DH how to use it AND told him the cost savings. Then I told him he could use it any time he wanted. Know what he did? Sat down that night and made a page. I was soooo happy!

What a sweet story! Can't imagine my DH doing any stamping or scrapbooking but he did cross stitch a cool car many, many years ago at my prodding. Didn't pick up a needle again. He's more into making things for me to use in my creativity room so I have to be happy with that.

Bluebear 02-25-2007 07:47 AM

I got mine yesterday and WOW - Love it! It's going to save space in my stamping area (dinning room) too as now I can relocate all the other adhesives that I had!

Softangelkisses 02-25-2007 07:57 AM

I've not been able to convince myself that it is worth the price either...

SuAnn 02-25-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Softangelkisses
I've not been able to convince myself that it is worth the price either...

I convinced myself to buy it and haven't regretted it. I even talked one of my stamping pals into getting it and she raves about it too. It is definitely a favorite tool of mine - right up there with my Big Shot. I've spent so much money over the years on things I DON'T use, this is a bargain by comparison!

michelle328 02-25-2007 02:12 PM

Well, y'all convinced me! I checked out ebay...found a good used one with 2 rolls of tape: $19.90 including shipping.

Can hardly wait t try it out!

Michelle

Shanon 02-25-2007 02:20 PM

The UFO landing on your doorstep is the best part of buying it. Seriously.....It is wrapped in sooooooooooooooo much friggin bubble wrap it is hilarious!
Even when you order refills of the tape it arrives that way. Sometimes I just wanna place an order for the fun of it. ;)

AimeeInOhio 02-25-2007 02:47 PM

I'm going to Blick's tomorrow, I hope they have one!

holo3850 02-25-2007 03:26 PM

O.K. I have the ATG 700 which is yellow, which I thought I new all about this but which one is the red one? I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE mine that I have I only can use the 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch I just got some in the mail all wrapped up in bubble wrap allso to funny LOL. Just like the others said you can't beat the savings in the long run!!!!! I have used mine so much and the tape hasn't ran out yet!!!Not like the tombo I would have easly gone threw 5 or 6 buy now.

KimberlyinMN 02-25-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holo3850
O.K. I have the ATG 700 which is yellow, which I thought I new all about this but which one is the red one? I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE mine that I have I only can use the 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch I just got some in the mail all wrapped up in bubble wrap allso to funny LOL. Just like the others said you can't beat the savings in the long run!!!!! I have used mine so much and the tape hasn't ran out yet!!!Not like the tombo I would have easly gone threw 5 or 6 buy now.

The yellow gun is the 700 model. The red is the 714 that only uses the 1/4" tape. To use the 1/4" tape in the yellow 700 model, you'd need to get the adapter (under $9). :)

Kimberly

my4kidzmom 02-25-2007 08:07 PM

I just got my 714 yesterday from framingsupplies.com The wrapping was a little strange, but I sort of knew it was going to be just from SCS talk. It took a little trial and error to get the hang of the ATG, but I love it! I only ordered a few tapes and the 987 was on backorder, but I'll re-order a bunch when I need more to save on shipping. I waited as long as I could for this gun; I am just about out of mono, and I had been using up my misc. adhesives in anticipation of the ATG. I love it!!!