Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quickutz Silhouette Owners

I think I am going to ask Santa for a Silhouette. I want to make sure that it's the right decision though. I want it for scrapbooking and card making. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

What do you love about it?

What don't you like?

Is it easy or complicated to use?

Have you found any great how to videos?

Is this your first/only electronic die cutting machine? If not, how does it compare to your other(s)?

Show us your favorite project made with it! (Yours or somebody else's)

Would you recommend it to friends?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
I think I am going to ask Santa for a Silhouette. I want to make sure that it's the right decision though. I want it for scrapbooking and card making. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

What don't you like?

Is this your first/only electronic die cutting machine? If not, how does it compare to your other(s)?

I love the ability to die-cut thousands of images- virtually anything I want I can find a file for and make.

I can't say I "didn't like" but the learning curve, while not difficult, was not immediate- I did need to study the manual and get some lessons online.

It's only complicated until you "get it"- which takes some practice.

One of my favorite sites is Paperthreads, but I have several more on my sidebar at my blog. Look pretty far down on the left.

This is my only electronic cutter.

I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone- I LOVE it!

Here's a card I made with it when I was first learning to use it:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

And, here's another I made for the same project:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you tchk!! Very helpful information!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I used CorelDraw for year making paper patterns I could use to hand cut things then I bought a Silhouette and discovered I wouldn't have to ever cut by hand again. I love it! I have mine on a laptop rollaround table so I can have it in the computer room and roll it out of the way so I keep a few tools in a desk drawer to deal with things. I also made extra carrier sheets from quilting plastic and repositionable adhesive.

I have to say I don't care for the software that comes with it so I asked for KNK Studio GE for last Mother's Day and I love it. Paperthreads has some videos for this software and so does Sandy McCauley's site:

http://www.iloveknk.com/

I don't find the cutter difficult to use but I find I use it in spurts and sputters. There are sites with lots of cutting files but the best I've found is this one:

http://www.fam-bjork.se/monicas-hobb...raft_robo.html

Monica's designs are beautiful and they cut very clean and pretty fast, considering how intricate they are. Have fun.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Just wanted to let you all know I am giving away a $25 Digital Design Card for the Silhouette if you are interested! I also have some information about the Silhouette on my blog!

http://creativecowgirl.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post

What don't you like?

Hi,

I really love my Silhouette, and am loving it more everyday! I learn something new about it often - just today, I found out that I can cut contact paper and make the little sticker that people have been putting on their backglasses of their cars - too cute!
I love that I can cut any font that I have downloaded on my computer and any shape. I can take free clip art and turn that into shapes as well. I really like a lot of the designs that you can buy from Silhouette as well. Very affordable at $1.99 each or you can buy a monthly subscription. I have an unlimited subscription and have downloaded thousands of files.

I can't say that there is anything I don't like about it except it is very noisy when cutting. It doesn't bother me that much, but my husband couldn't stand it, so I bought a 15' USB cable and moved it as far from my hubby as it could get!

I think that it is fairly easy to use, but like the above poster said, there is a slight learning curve and it does take some getting used to. I didn't use mine a lot when I first got it, so I found it difficult every time I did want to use it. But as I used it more and more, it has gotten much easier. Plus, I think the updated software is better than the old version. I also downloaded Inkscape which is free and have used that to design my own files.

I haven't found great videos, but there are many tutorials that are very helpful. Here are some links to some sites:
http://www.aussiescrapsource.typepad.com/
If you scroll down about a third of the page, there is a sidebar on the left titled Quickutz Silhouette with 5 tutorials. Number 5 was very helpful to me.
The Silhouette website itself has a great step by step here:
http://www.silhouettemachine.com/tutorials.aspx
The Yahoo Group, SilhoutteUsers is also a great resource. If you join, you can have access to the FAQ's which are helpful.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/silhouetteusers/

This is my first and only electronic die cutter. I've never tried another one.

I haven't taken pictures of my scrapbook pages that I have used the Silhoutte on, and I'm too lazy to go upstairs right now and do it, LOL. But here are a few good blogs:
http://nicholmagouirk.typepad.com/th...really_matter/
http://erinlincoln.blogspot.com/2009...by-shower.html
http://kerribradford.typepad.com/just_me/
http://silhouettemachine.blogspot.co...g-lets-do.html

You can probably tell by my really long reply that I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

Let me know if you have any questions, though I am far from an expert!

Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I actually just bought a silhouette this morning from Oh My Crafts (on sale for $150 + used the code Holidays to get an extra 20% off - which basically covered shipping)

I do have an older model small Cricut and looked into getting the Sure Cuts A Lot software in order to use True Type fonts...but felt I would be limited by the 6" size of the Cricut machine for certain things I wanted to do and buying the larger Cricut Expressions machine then adding in the Sure Cuts A Lot would be out of my budget.

I actually looked at the Silhouette back when I was looking at the Cricut - but at that time it was about $300 vs the $130 special that I spent on my Cricut.

I did read a ton of reviews and did not find a BAD review - there were some reviews that said the cutting was noisy (my cricut is pretty noisy) and some that thought it was ok...

I am still trying to find a good forum for the Silhouette-there are a ton out there for the Cricut - I have found some great blogs for the Silhouette - with tons of tips and tricks though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you everyone! I think I am going to give it a try. I've always loved Quickutz images and fonts much more than Cricuts and Provo Crafts.

Jenni, did you join the Yahoo group Silhouetteusers? I've heard it's a great resource.
Reply With Quote Likes