Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Quick ? About Neenah (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/quick-about-neenah-621470/)

binx 12-01-2017 11:43 AM

Quick ? About Neenah

What's the difference between Classic Crest and Solar Crest? I mean, for a non expert - one who just wants to have the best on hand for Copic coloring and general card-blank use.

I thought I had them straight in my mind, but managed to get them mixed up. Is solar the name of the shade of white, maybe?

TIA

fionna51 12-01-2017 12:26 PM

Neenah is the paper company.
Classic Crest is a paper line. A great one!
Solar White is one of the colors.

Now, in case you want to know all about the Classic Crest line of papers made by Neenah Paper Company...

Classic Crest comes in 4 textures:
...smooth
...super smooth
...stipple
...eggshell
And it comes in many colors:
...Avalanche white
...Solar white
...Avon brilliant white
...Recycled 100 bright white
...Classic natural white
...Baronial ivory
...Classic cream
...Antique gray
...Patriot blue
...Epic black
...Canyon brown
...Red pepper
...Millstone
...Earthstone
...Whitestone
...Potomac Blue
...Windsor Blue
...Saw grass
...Taragon
...Pewter
And it comes in many weights, but not all colors in all weights
...24 pound writing paper
...28 pound writing paper
...70 pound text paper
...80 pound text paper
...100 pound text paper
...65 pound cover
...80 pound cover
...100 pound cover
...110 pound cover
...130 pound double thick cover
...165 pound double thick cover

bjeans 12-01-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binx (Post 21575983)
What's the difference between Classic Crest and Solar Crest? I mean, for a non expert - one who just wants to have the best on hand for Copic coloring and general card-blank use.

I thought I had them straight in my mind, but managed to get them mixed up. Is solar the name of the shade of white, maybe?

TIA

What Fionna said.

The high quality Neenah line that's often mentioned for Copics and stamping is Classic Crest, and the white most often referred to is Solar White. (Big box stores generally only carry a lower quality Neenah line called Exact Index.)

Neenah 110 lb. is often used for card blanks and often 80 lb. for layering. I'd use 110 for Copics but others should weigh in since I only use Copics for occasional touches of color. While I use Neenah Classic Crest solar white and black tons for cards, with Copics I tend to use a Copic cardstock called X-Press It Blending Card. It's expensive but a 25-pack will last a long time since I'm not a big colorer.

fionna51 12-01-2017 06:57 PM

I'm with bjeans on the special blending cardstock for alcohol markers. It makes for a little bit easier blending.

maryalena 12-01-2017 08:17 PM

I see Classic Crest in smooth and super smooth. I believe that Simon Says and Ellen Hutson sell the smooth rather than the super smooth. Is that right and is smooth the way to go? FYI the best price I have found so far for a ream (250 sheets) of Neenah Classic Crest 110# solar white smooth is Ellen Hutson. Last time I checked it was going for $40 and on Amazon it was going for $55. Anyone have a better price out there?

bjeans 12-02-2017 04:00 AM

Mary, a bunch of well-known bloggers link to Classic Crest 110 lb. smooth card in their affiliate links. Doing a quick search I didn't see anything much below $49ish, but maybe it's out there. It's easier to find deals on 80 lb.

$40 on Ellen's site caught my eye too - but it's for 80 lb. I use that too, just not for bases.

fionna51 12-02-2017 05:34 AM

Neenah Classic Crest Solar White in 80 lb is available at Amazon for 37.99.
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Crest...s=neenah+paper

Neenah Classic Crest Solar White in 110 lb is available there for 49.72.
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Crest...s=neenah+paper

At least that is the price I found this morning.

That is with free shipping, and shipping can add a substantial amount to your order at other places.

I know that seems expensive. It IS expensive. But I've learned to figure the cost per sheet when comparing prices. I include shipping in the cost of ordering paper online. The Amazon price on the 110 pound paper is 20 cents per sheet. Compare that to the other stores price per sheet when you have added in the shipping cost.

I am fortunate. I have a local paper store. I buy the 110 pound for about $35. But not everyone has that advantage.

bwstamper 12-02-2017 06:21 AM

Tupelo Designs has 80# super smooth for $31.50 for 250 sheets and free shipping.

https://www.tupelodesignsllc.com/pro...kg-solar-white

binx 12-02-2017 07:27 AM

Wow, thx for all of the good info, Fiona51. Keeping that for reference. Wasn't aware there are different textures as well. Glad I asked, and glad you replied. - thx again!

bjeans 12-02-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwstamper (Post 21576328)
Tupelo Designs has 80# super smooth for $31.50 for 250 sheets and free shipping.

https://www.tupelodesignsllc.com/pro...kg-solar-white

I thought about Tupelo, and actually bought 80 lb. Neenah from them way back when, but didn't mention them since we were more on the topic of 110 lb., and more importantly, while I used to post and speak highly about Tupelo, my last two experiences weren't good.

I didn't get shipping notices. Nothing shipped until I emailed about my order. Shipping notices still weren't sent, and the order was only partly filled, with "backordered" written by an item or items. Emails asking about that weren't completely answered or not answered. My off the cuff guess was they were growing too big too fast.

But what also bothered me, and which I'd discussed with the owner, was that they were not using USPS for shipping, but they used free USPS Priority Mail boxes and supplies to ship through another carrier.

I was told their packaging supplier includes those supplies. (Why not ask they not be included?) Those "free" items are for Post Office business, not UPS or FedEx or for use as packing materials. So I had decided not to order from them unless they stopped.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone else not to buy from them, am just recounting my experience.

Beth

bwstamper 12-02-2017 03:00 PM

WOW Beth, thanks for the heads up. I have ordered from them a few times and have not experienced any of the things you mentioned. I will be cautious in the future.

staceylovespaper 12-03-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalena (Post 21576217)
I see Classic Crest in smooth and super smooth. I believe that Simon Says and Ellen Hutson sell the smooth rather than the super smooth. Is that right and is smooth the way to go? FYI the best price I have found so far for a ream (250 sheets) of Neenah Classic Crest 110# solar white smooth is Ellen Hutson. Last time I checked it was going for $40 and on Amazon it was going for $55. Anyone have a better price out there?

If you can find a paper store close by, try them. I got a ream of 80lb for $23 and 110lb for $30

grateful2bsaved 02-19-2018 07:11 PM

I've got a question. How does Avalanche white compare to Solar white? I've always used Solar white. Never knew about Avalanche white until I saw it mentioned on here. I'm running low on my Solar White, and getting ready to order more. Is Avalanche whiter than Solar?

staceylovespaper 02-20-2018 05:08 AM

I have both colors. I used to buy Avalanche white because it matched Stampin Ups white paper from a few years ago.

I pulled out both colors and my husband and I can't see the difference. If you look at Neenah's color chart, the Avalanche should be brighter, it's listed as a 99 where as Solar white is 97. Maybe if I had sun today I could see it better?

I only switched to Solar white because I wanted both 80lb and 110lb.

Hope this helps!!

fionna51 02-20-2018 05:31 AM

In my sample book, I can see a "smidgen" of difference between the Avalanche and the Solar. (Is there something smaller than a "smidgen"? I would have used that! ;) )

Both are available in 80 and 110 pound cover stock. But Solar White is MUCH easier to find.

grateful2bsaved 02-20-2018 09:10 AM

Thank you, thank you! How in the world would I ever survive without helpful ladies on SCS? :)

wavejumper 02-21-2018 03:52 AM

Fionna you rock! I am keeping this also for reference.

I think iota might be smaller than smidgeon :)

I want to know if anyone is using any of the other kinds...super smooth, stipple and eggshell....and what that even means? Eggshell to me-I have only heard of that with wall paint.

I keep hearing you can get the sample thingie free but when I checked they wanted money. :/

I agree about the shipping-reams are expensive to ship unless you can get free ship. I got mine at Amazon but twice the reams have arrived with the paper covering torn or opened like it got bashed around in shipping. I didn't lose paper but that was just lucky.

BTW, there are now shipping arrangements where UPS, Fed-Ex and the PO tag team the delivery. I often see Priorities being delivered by other people than the PO. Usually a sub contractor. But that is for another thread.

grateful2bsaved 02-21-2018 09:54 AM

Wavejumper, that happened with me and I called them. I didn't rant and rave, but made it known that it was not acceptable. Besides that, it took forever and a day for it to arrive. They told me keep the damaged one, and sent me another ream. I stick with ordering from Ellen Hutson now. Her great service is worth the few extra dollars to me.

I thought about it, and I'm going to stick with Solar White. I realized the last thing I need is another shade of white to worry about getting mixed up with my other whites. Also, why switch something I'm happy with, right?

Chris01 02-21-2018 07:20 PM

I just went back and forth......amazon or Ellen Hutson for my Neenah Solar white 110# order.I went with 6 packages from Ellen Hutson since my last 250 ream from Amazon had no stuffing to keep ream from banging around in the box. EH always arrives in good order.
Maybe Ellen Hutson will carry these large reams someday.

mycatstamps2 02-24-2018 08:16 PM

Good call Chris. My last ream of Neenah Solar White 110# from Amazon (Jan 2018) came without any packaging material. Several chunks of the cardstock had damaged. I opted to keep it and work with it, but I'll definitely be purchasing from Ellen Hutson in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01 (Post 21619351)
I just went back and forth......amazon or Ellen Hutson for my Neenah Solar white 110# order.I went with 6 packages from Ellen Hutson since my last 250 ream from Amazon had no stuffing to keep ream from banging around in the box. EH always arrives in good order.
Maybe Ellen Hutson will carry these large reams someday.

Chris01 02-25-2018 05:20 AM

My 6 packages Neenah Solar white 110 just arrived from EH.Wonderfully packaged and secure. I like the way they package the actual cardstock.
Not tight shrink wrap that sometimes can dog ear some layers.
Even at that the post office jabbed a big hole in box. Thankfully well packaged.
Wonder how many of us only use a version of white cardstock. Up till several years ago, I used a lot of stampin up colored stock as the base.
My clean style of cardmaking works well with white paper. I also use about as much of the color Stone from PTI. It is a fabulous color....you have to try it as a cardbase...heavy too.

bjeans 02-25-2018 07:27 AM

Just a reminder that if anything comes damaged, Amazon can be contacted. The last Neenah I ordered just had the wrapping ripped, but I emailed to tell them that as usual, items were not protected. Although I said I did not need a replacement they sent one.

And shipping/packaging feedback for every order can be left at www.amazon.com/packaging

Amazon probably looks at replacements as the cost of doing business, and that it's less expensive than investing in a good training program and supervision - maybe somewhat because many people don't complain or provide feedback.

There's a chance that if more people contact them and also leave feedback, their practices will change. Am I optimistic? No. But you never know.

craftyduo 02-27-2019 09:33 AM

subscribing for reference at later date

Bridgewater 03-06-2019 06:02 AM

Card Base Stock

This has been a very interesting thread to read. I've been buying Staples brand 110# card stock locally for years to use for card bases. It comes in packages of 250 sheets and costs about $16 or $17. It's a good thickness. For layering I use the Staples 67# card stock which is a good weight if you are adding a layer of white mat and then stamped die cuts on top of that. The card doesn't get so atrociously thick and top heavy (or would that be front heavy)! The 110# is smooth, but the 67# has a little tooth to it. I also use Illustrator to draw, color and print many of my own simple graphics, sentiments, etc., especially when making a card to fit a specific event or hobby of the recipient. My HP printer takes the 67# card stock very well.

All that being said, I am going to check out the Neenah brand and paper weights discussed in this thread. Sometime you don't have a clue how you ever lived without a certain product until you find out about it and try it. I'm always looking for better products and tools. Thanks for all the good information.

bjeans 03-06-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridgewater (Post 21792018)
This has been a very interesting thread to read. I've been buying Staples brand 110# card stock locally for years to use for card bases. It comes in packages of 250 sheets and costs about $16 or $17. It's a good thickness. For layering I use the Staples 67# card stock which is a good weight if you are adding a layer of white mat and then stamped die cuts on top of that. The card doesn't get so atrociously thick and top heavy (or would that be front heavy)! The 110# is smooth, but the 67# has a little tooth to it. I also use Illustrator to draw, color and print many of my own simple graphics, sentiments, etc., especially when making a card to fit a specific event or hobby of the recipient. My HP printer takes the 67# card stock very well.

All that being said, I am going to check out the Neenah brand and paper weights discussed in this thread. Sometime you don't have a clue how you ever lived without a certain product until you find out about it and try it. I'm always looking for better products and tools. Thanks for all the good information.

Scott, of cardcutups.com, uses Staples 110 cardstock just for bases, and goodness knows, his cards are amazing. I figure if good enough for him, I might try it one of these days, though I do love Neenah Classic Crest.

(For those who don’t know him, Scott creates 10 cards from two different kits each month - Hero Arts and Love From Lizzie. His videos aren’t technique focused, but he does discuss exactly how he made each one, his process, and sometimes shows how he got from point A to B. I adore him - and his laugh!)

ETA Scott has been using Neenah Classic Crest Solar White lately.

lori92760 03-12-2019 06:50 AM

I read the whole article, smooth or super smooth?

fionna51 03-13-2019 11:40 AM

I use smooth. The super-smooth is a little harder to find for me. It also doesn't come in 100-110 pound weights.

There's not a lot of difference in my mind.

jkstampin 03-13-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeans (Post 21621122)
Just a reminder that if anything comes damaged, Amazon can be contacted. The last Neenah I ordered just had the wrapping ripped, but I emailed to tell them that as usual, items were not protected. Although I said I did not need a replacement they sent one.

And shipping/packaging feedback for every order can be left at www.amazon.com/packaging

Amazon probably looks at replacements as the cost of doing business, and that it's less expensive than investing in a good training program and supervision - maybe somewhat because many people don't complain or provide feedback.

There's a chance that if more people contact them and also leave feedback, their practices will change. Am I optimistic? No. But you never know.

You never know with amazon. I use amazon fresh and last year had issues in about three consecutive orders where they packed dry goods packaged in cardboard (such as crackers) with refrigerated items packed with ice. The weeping from the ice caused the boxes to get totally wet. I contacted them each time asking them to please stop bagging this way... and low and behold, it stopped! Haven't had that issue in months. Who knows if my complaints played any part, but can't hurt!

Chris01 03-23-2019 05:42 PM

I’ve been ordering Neenah 110# exclusively for years.
Recently I was at Craft warehouse and purchased a package of Paper Accents extra heavy paper......I think 110#.
It is really nice cardstock. I get the White and the cream color. Nice texture.
I didn’t care for the Casper White. It was so chalky feeling in texture.
Thrilled I can buy 110# cardstock locally.