Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Question Why are water brush or Aquas brushes (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/question-why-water-brush-aquas-brushes-615992/)

hotwheels 02-06-2017 04:56 PM

Question Why are water brush or Aquas brushes

Question let talk what Why are water brush or Aquas brushes so high. I went to Micheals 10.00 -13.00 Dollars for a water brush. And Joann was much better. And Hobby Lobby I don't remember what the price was. And stampin'up 17.00 Dollars Why they so high now? I don't remember paying that much mine. And I need another one. But can't find them cheap enough. What the deal with them now? Thanks LInda

bzzzeee 02-06-2017 06:05 PM

I can't explain the price, but one thing to look for is a valve that prevents leakage or too much water flowing out. My first aqua brushes were purchased at a stamp show long ago, not cheap, but leaked like crazy. Then I bought the SU ones and those had a valve to control the flow. I got mine a long time ago but maybe they're still made that way, or better. Hope you find a good one!

SkyNacho 02-06-2017 08:52 PM

To be fair, SU charges 17.00 for TWO brushes.

CTMH has some for 5.95, but they look like they have smaller barrels than SU's. But at least at Michael's you can use a coupon, which would make your $10 brush only $6.

Amber79 02-07-2017 02:22 AM

Things are going to be marked up at craft stores, hence the weekly coupons.

Paula O. 02-07-2017 08:45 AM

I've always wondered that too. Expensive for such a simple tool. I bought a Tim Holtz water brush at Joann's with a coupon and that made it less painful. Even though S.U. sells two per pack, it's still $8.50 each.

stamphappy1650 02-07-2017 11:33 AM

All my cheap ones were junk and I've come to the decision that when these wear out I'm not buying them again. It's rare situation where I can't have a little bottle of water on hand. Also, some of my newer ones have clogged.

hotwheels 02-07-2017 04:01 PM

Question how check the valve? How do you have good valve or a bad valve other then leaking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzzzeee (Post 21411729)
I can't explain the price, but one thing to look for is a valve that prevents leakage or too much water flowing out. My first aqua brushes were purchased at a stamp show long ago, not cheap, but leaked like crazy. Then I bought the SU ones and those had a valve to control the flow. I got mine a long time ago but maybe they're still made that way, or better. Hope you find a good one!

kiagc 02-08-2017 12:18 PM

Well, there is much to be said about the prices of many things. Some are worth every penny, others not so much. I agree with you, I find the price of aqua brushes annoying. So, I took a leap of faith and bought some from Wish.com here - the set in Canadian including shipping was $ 11.00. It was a win win ... and it really was a win win. They are fabulous - the only draw back, it took 3.5 weeks to get here ... but this is probably where they all come from in the first place. Now I can spend that extra money I saved on the stuff I really want ....

bjeans 02-08-2017 02:39 PM

I bought a set of four different sized water brushes a couple years ago for about $27.00 and have been very pleased with them. In fact, maybe because I learned to watercolor with them in a class, I'm more comfortable with them than with regular brushes. I think the manufacturing is a little picky to get water brushes to work well, so for me the price seemed fair.

Just googling now, Dick Blick has a bunch of them, including a set of three for $4.13 so some are inexpensive:
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/waterbrush/ The reviews might be worth reading. :)

Bohodiva 02-09-2017 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheels (Post 21411682)
Question let talk what Why are water brush or Aquas brushes so high. I went to Micheals 10.00 -13.00 Dollars for a water brush. And Joann was much better. And Hobby Lobby I don't remember what the price was. And stampin'up 17.00 Dollars Why they so high now? I don't remember paying that much mine. And I need another one. But can't find them cheap enough. What the deal with them now? Thanks LInda

I purchased mine on Ebay.
water brush in Art Supplies | eBay

lharnish 02-10-2017 07:29 AM

I ordered some from China off of eBay and it was under $5 for a set. They're not quite as nice as the one I have from CTMH but they work decently enough for the price.